PDA

View Full Version : Second Thru Hike: Repeat AT or PCT

RITBlake
12-26-2010, 14:18
I am toying with the idea of a second thru hike (ME-GA in 2005) this spring.

I have very mixed feelings about which trail to hike. The AT is and will always be special to me and I would love to experience it again. It would be fun try a NOBO thru hike with an inside knowledge of the trail, the towns, and the people. But on the other hand..... I have a strong urge to stretch my legs on a new trail. I have done two overnight trips on the PCT and I loved the open style walking. Very different from the AT and I am drawn to that as well.

I realize this is a good problem to have and either trip would be a sound choice.

What do you think?

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 14:23
Unless there is something you wished you did way different from your first thru and want to try it again, my vote is for exploring new territory.

neighbor dave
12-26-2010, 14:25
p.c.t. 'll blow yer mind. head west young man, head west

RITBlake
12-26-2010, 14:34
Unless there is something you wished you did way different from your first thru and want to try it again, my vote is for exploring new territory.

My only real regret from my 2005 thru hike is kind of stupid... I wish I took more pictures! I didn't carry my own camera and I wish I had. Other then that, we really had an outstanding thru hike.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 14:44
My only real regret from my 2005 thru hike is kind of stupid... I wish I took more pictures! I didn't carry my own camera and I wish I had. Other then that, we really had an outstanding thru hike.

I took a trip to India and we had a different girl with her camera who took a ton of pictures. She only sent me a couple of the pictures, so I know how you feel about this one. Part of me wants to go back to India and get some great pictures, but the majority of me feels like "I've already been there, why not go some place I've never experienced before!"

Even if you did the AT again, the trail won't be the same, and your pictures would capture this journey, but would not capture the one you already took.

BrianLe
12-26-2010, 17:12
I'll go a step farther and suggest that folks that are resolved to thru-hike a trail consider doing the PCT first, particularly if you think you might do one and only one such long trail. IMO it's just a better trail, a better experience.

For a westerner like me, the AT did offer some fun in the sense of history along the trail, and a little geography lesson as I walked through all these little states this year, figuring out what order they came in (could never keep east coast states straight --- too many of 'em! :-)).

Certainly the AT is "the" trail to hike if you've been dreaming of that particular trail for years, perhaps it's the right one if you live near it and feel like it's the one that's calling to you. But if you want better trail, better weather, much better views, more "wilderness", more of a feeling of outdoor adventure, then do the PCT.

I wouldn't consider hiking the AT again, and when people ask me what my favorite parts were I'm at a bit of a loss. I could see thru-hiking the PCT again someday, and certainly will re-do some sections.

Highway Man
12-26-2010, 18:07
Thru-hiking the Colorado Trail this summer has certainly opened up me a totally different perspective about how awesome and beautiful those western mountain trails are. CT, similar to PCT in many ways, is well-graded, smooth tread, drier environment in general with abundant water sources(mostly)... Of course, the thru-hiking strategy is quite different than the one on AT. But one can learn it beforehand and gets soon adapted to it. I'd strongly suggest you explore the new territory.

As the living life ahead dosen't seem to be too generous to me, I won't thru-hike AT again. I'm pondering if I will go for PCT next year, or even go to Himalaya mountain range to see Mt. Everest and trek some other high mountain ranges in that area. I've been looking for that information everyday!;)

Sly
12-26-2010, 20:15

if pictures are your only concern there are 1000's on the Internet. If great weather, great trail and awesome scenery and wildlife are of interest, hike the CDT. ;)

PS I would have made this a public poll. Who would vote AT again? That's kind of nuts.

soulslosher
12-26-2010, 20:39
I voted for headin' west and stretching your legs on the PCT!

If you have time in your distant future to do the AT again, that's fine and if not, that's fine also-- you've already done it. Most people only get to thru the AT once anyway.. :-P

Flippy
12-26-2010, 22:41
I wouldn't consider hiking the AT again, and when people ask me what my favorite parts were I'm at a bit of a loss. I could see thru-hiking the PCT again someday, and certainly will re-do some sections.

Each trail is so different, and I'm glad that I did the AT before the PCT, and PCT before the CDT (work in progress). If I had hiked the CDT or PCT before the AT, I don't think I would have appreciated my AT hike as much.

Favorite part or the AT is easy for me - entire state of Maine! Parts of Virgina are a close second (Grayson Highlands, McAfee Knob, Rusty's, I liked the green tunnel too)

BTW in 2006 I went back to Springer Mtn on the AT to hike a week or so starting on the same day as my 2004 thru-hike. Before I knew it, I was having fun at Billville in Duncannon, PA with some great people.

Hopefully I'll see you next summer on the CDT. It's going to blow your mind away!

Trailbender
12-26-2010, 23:48
I have felt adrift since I finished my thru in August. Every day drags by and is boring. I felt I was really living when I was on the AT, sure, there were days that sucked, but overall it was an amazing experience. I just found out I am on financial aid suspension for the spring 2011 semester. If my GI Bill gets suspended as well, I won't be able to afford school. If this happens, I might just be done with college, and go ahead and do a 2011 thru. There are things I like about living in "society", the biggest being my computer gaming. I really don't own much besides a PC and hiking gear, and looking back on my thru, I have considered many times just tossing my loaded pack in my car and heading down to Springer. I know in the back of my head that I should stay in school, but it gets harder every day. I do have local trails that I hike on, and they are enjoyable, but sometimes I feel that longing, even hiking on them. Society has too many bills and crappy rules and all kinds of things that chain people down and make them slaves.

If I didn't have a monster amount of student loans, I would probably be a lot more likely to do this, but with the crappy economy, I still might not find a job after college and be able to pay my loans off. Just something I think about from time to time.

ChinMusic
12-27-2010, 00:03
From my week on the JMT last year the answer is an EASY one.

PCT

Especially if you haven't hike out west that much. That said, I am planning on the AT before the PCT.

CrumbSnatcher
12-27-2010, 01:57
your signature answers your question don't it?
why hike with a bunch of AT northbound whiners:D

BrianLe
12-27-2010, 02:12
Flippy said:

"BTW in 2006 I went back to Springer Mtn on the AT to hike a week or so starting on the same day as my 2004 thru-hike. Before I knew it, I was having fun at Billville in Duncannon, PA with some great people."

Face it, you're another addict, Flippy. I don't know if you knew Lucky or Lumbar (also PCT 2008) but when Lucky heard I was doing the AT this year, he asked if I minded if he did some miles with me at the start. "Of course" I said, then later asked how long he might be hiking with me (thinking a week or two ...). His response: "Oh, I might go to Maine". And he did (for the second time). Lumbar ditto, heard Lucky was doing it again and couldn't resist jumping on trail too.

Addicts. A bunch of friggin' addicts. And you're one of them. I'm suspecting I might be too. I think there might be a 12-step program for us, which likely starts out by standing up in a meeting and saying something like "Hi, my name is Gadget, and I'm a trail addict. It's been 2 months and 23 days since the last time I backpacked ...".

"Hopefully I'll see you next summer on the CDT. It's going to blow your mind away!"

Looking forward to it, indeed I hope to see you there, and ditto Handlebar and who knows who else.

MedicineMan
12-27-2010, 07:41
I've been on the PCT, the CDT, the AT, the FT, the Ice Age, the ADT, the FT, the etc. trail. My advice to each and all is just hike :) and thank God for each step.

Tilly
12-27-2010, 13:39
Thanks for starting this thread Blake!

I am having the same exact thoughts as yourself, tho the PCT or another AT hike are a few years away for me.

There are many things I miss about the AT, for instance I would hike the whole damn trail again (well...most of the whole trail) just to drink cold mountain spring water every day. I miss the woods, and I actually enjoy all the trees, rocks, streams, and flowers present in the 'long green tunnel.' I also miss the towns. I would hike the AT again, tho not NB. Probably SB.

But then again the PCT seems like such a different & beautiful experience, a bit intimidating, I must admit. I have never hiked out west (except for Alaska.) Plus I doubt I could hike the 25 miles every day that you need to hike it in a season.

I haven't decided either. I can think of a lot of compelling reasons for either choice.

sbhikes
12-27-2010, 14:08
You WILL hike the PCT and you will hike at least 25 miles every day easily as soon as your trail legs set in. You'll see. And you'll love it. And you'll love the desert.

I want to hike the PCT again. And again. Can I get a triple crown if I hike it 3 times?

Jack Tarlin
12-27-2010, 14:40
RITBlake:

There will be folks surprised to see me say this but in any case:

I'd go out West and check out the PCT. The A.T. will always be there for you and may in fact be a better experience if you take some time off before hitting it again, absence making the heart grow fonder, etc. Good luck whatever you do.

fiddlehead
12-27-2010, 14:50
Some people like to watch the same movie over and over again.
I'm not one of them.
Give me a new trail any day.
But if there are no more, the PCT is much more scenic, easier hiking, much more variety and includes the JMT so, .......................why wouldn't you?

Blissful
12-27-2010, 14:56
NOBO is a completely different AT journey than SOBO. It was my choice. Now I am heading to the JMT to see if a PCT is possible

neighbor dave
12-27-2010, 15:13
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32476&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28804&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28551&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28020&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27967&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27966&catid=member&imageuser=4327

RITBlake
12-27-2010, 16:29
Great argument right there.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32476&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28804&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28551&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28020&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27967&catid=member&imageuser=4327

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27966&catid=member&imageuser=4327

Flippy
12-27-2010, 19:00

RITBlake...As Neighbor and your poll suggests I would do the PCT before another AT thru-hike. Also I made the mistake of trying to go to light and regret not carry a dedicated camera. My photos from my phone are okay, but I wish I had carried a better camera. That said I moved onto the CDT and will return to PCT and AT someday.

the goat
12-27-2010, 20:33
I am toying with the idea of a second thru hike (ME-GA in 2005) this spring.

I have very mixed feelings about which trail to hike. The AT is and will always be special to me and I would love to experience it again. It would be fun try a NOBO thru hike with an inside knowledge of the trail, the towns, and the people. But on the other hand..... I have a strong urge to stretch my legs on a new trail. I have done two overnight trips on the PCT and I loved the open style walking. Very different from the AT and I am drawn to that as well.

I realize this is a good problem to have and either trip would be a sound choice.

What do you think?

when posed with the same "dilema" several years ago, i did the AT again in the same direction. in the interest of full disclosure though, timing kind of made my decision for me as i didn't have the opportunity to start a hike until july.

if you do the AT again, you'll find it to be a much different hike than your first. you'll be surprised at how much you forgot about the trail and the places it passes through. i loved the experience of a second hike.

still waiting for my PCT opportunity though.....

handlebar
12-28-2010, 13:44
I don't know how alone you were hiking sobo on the AT. If you want a more social hike, the PCT can offer it when you start with the herd around the time of the "Kickoff" in late April. There's also ample opportunity for solitude if that's your thing. Plus the PCT offers spectacular scenery. I liked all it had to offer: the desert, the Sierras, the Cascades. A spectacular hike and, in my opinion, easier hiking generally that the AT. (For another hikers take on "easier", read Sage's AT journal on Postholer. She did both the CDT nobo and AT sobo this year.)

One warning though, they say, "If you hike two, you will hike the third." I speak from experience, as my CDT hike is a work in progress to be resumed in late June. On the CDT, though, you'll probably be hiking most of the way solo---at least I was. It makes you appreciate the few times you get together with other hikers in town or on the trail however briefly. The CDT is even more spectacular that the PCT in my experience.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 13:53
The CDT is even more spectacular that the PCT in my experience.
Really?

I've only experience a brief section of the CDT while hiking in Glacier.

Sly
12-28-2010, 16:15
Really?

I've only experience a brief section of the CDT while hiking in Glacier.

You didn't think Glacier was spectacular? Gee, pretty high standards. Try the Winds, they're similar to the High Sierra

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 16:17
You didn't think Glacier was spectacular? Gee, pretty high standards. Try the Winds, they're similar to the High Sierra
Didn't mean it that way. Glacier was great. I did find Inyo and Yosemite better, but certainly didn't intend to diss Glacier. I was under the impression that the PCT had more eye-candy compared to the CDT. I'm thrilled to read that the CDT is this good.

Sly
12-28-2010, 17:28
Didn't mean it that way. Glacier was great. I did find Inyo and Yosemite better, but certainly didn't intend to diss Glacier. I was under the impression that the PCT had more eye-candy compared to the CDT. I'm thrilled to read that the CDT is this good.

Actually, it's hard to say which has better scenery, both are awesome, but they're somewhat different. One thing the CDT has more of by far is wildlife.

RITBlake
12-30-2010, 12:58
Thank you for all the amazing feedback, I really appreciate it.

If and when I go it will be to the PCT. Time to begin reviewing the finances, gear, and logistics to see if it is feasible to get everything squared away by springtime.

Thanks for all your input,

Blake

Jim Adams
12-30-2010, 18:37
Well, it seems that I am the opposite of most hikers on here. I thru hiked the AT in 1990 and went back again in 2002 and thru hiked a second time. In 2008 I went to the PCT and hiked from Campo to Yosemite. I ran out of money by Yosemite (it is more expensive than the AT) but more important, I ran out of desire. I hated the desert. I liked the solitude more than the AT but then hated not having the "crowds" to talk to about what I saw and experienced that day. IMO the Sierras were the prettiest scenery that I have ever hiked and I do want to go back to see some of Oregon and Washington but I have no desire to hike the PCT south of Yosemite again but I can't wait to do another AT thru hike. I like the social aspect and both of my previous thrus were very different from each other...new blue blazes, new relos, new friends, some new town stops, new equipment technology...lots of differences.

geek