PDA

View Full Version : Clothing List, Questions and critique please!

Megapixel
12-26-2010, 19:08
The journey:
2011 04-19 from Buena Vista, VA to Katahdin, ME, then back to VA from Buena Vista to Springer Mtn.

With that in mind, here is my idea of a clothing list, including worn. Previous thru hikers, Please give me your wise opinions if you would! Thanks!

The other part of this is I am undecided on whether to go with a pair of rain pants or not. I'm leaning towards not, but if i decide to, i would switch out the convertible hiking pants for them...

3 pairs of socks.
1 pair of boxers.
*1 baselayer pants heavyweight to be switched out later with my lightweight baselayer pants...> not sure when to do this... thinking heavyweight until HF, then lightweight until Glencliff, maybe back to heavyweight???
1 running shorts.
1 convertible hiking pants.
1 merino wool hiking t shirt
1 patagonia long sleeve baselayer 1 (lightweight)
1 patagonia zip pullover baselayer 3
1 montbell UL down jacket
beanie, baklava, & ballcap.
1 rei rainjacket with hood.
1 bug headnet. not sure where to ship this to to start carrying...

:banana115 DAYS AND COUNTING !!!:D

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2010, 19:49
If you have room for a luxury item, think about bringing a pair of cotton boxers to sleep in. It allows everything to air out while you sleep.

Don H
12-26-2010, 20:01
Hey Less, I use to live in Winter Springs, we were almost neighbors!
Your list looks good to me overall.
Some things to think about...

Take 2 pair of boxers.
Probably won't need the head net until CT if at all.
I'd start off with rain pants while it's still cold.
If you're taking a balaclava and ball cap you could probably leave the beanie home.
Think about a wind shirt.
Any camp shoes such as Crocs?
Don't know what the REI rain jacket weighs but I'm taking DriDucks, light and cheap.

Just my opinion, I've been putting a lot of thought in to clothing too, I leave in mid March.

Megapixel
12-26-2010, 20:38
Hey Less, I use to live in Winter Springs, we were almost neighbors!
Your list looks good to me overall.
Some things to think about...

Take 2 pair of boxers.
Probably won't need the head net until CT if at all.
I'd start off with rain pants while it's still cold.
If you're taking a balaclava and ball cap you could probably leave the beanie home.
Think about a wind shirt.
Any camp shoes such as Crocs?
Don't know what the REI rain jacket weighs but I'm taking DriDucks, light and cheap.

Just my opinion, I've been putting a lot of thought in to clothing too, I leave in mid March.

Ok, I like the idea of a second pair of boxers, cotton.
The balaclava is thin, but i've never hiked in it. I'll try it in some cold FL weather if i get the chance.
The rain jacket is also a wind jacket.
I'm currently going with my vibram 5 fingers as my camp shoes. will use them for river crossings and a few miles here and there to switch it up.

Serial 07
12-26-2010, 20:43
the bug net is unnecessary until MA...

Megapixel
12-27-2010, 19:33
the bug net is unnecessary until MA...

thanks. any other thoughts out there on the rain pants?

CinciJP
12-27-2010, 19:45
thanks. any other thoughts out there on the rain pants?

My plans are to use the rain pants in Winter conditions and then ship them home until farther North and I need them again for cold weather. As I've read on here and in books, when you're hiking in the rain, you're just going to get wet. :)

bigcranky
12-27-2010, 21:27
I carry rain pants fall-winter-spring, because I like keeping my legs dry in cold rain and snow. They also add a lot of warmth as part of a layering system. For an April 19 start, in central Virginia, not sure -- I'd look at the long term forecast and make a decision at the time. If it's going to be cold, I'd take them.

10-K
12-27-2010, 21:48
What BC said about wanting to be as dry as possible in fall, winter and spring.

I wore a ULA rainskirt, http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp, in May and June and it was one of the best purchases I felt I made. Highly recommend in warm weather. Not only do you keep your shorts dry but there's no sweat or movement restriction problem.

And it only weighs a couple of ounces.

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 22:04
What BC said about wanting to be as dry as possible in fall, winter and spring.

I wore a ULA rainskirt, http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp, in May and June and it was one of the best purchases I felt I made. Highly recommend in warm weather. Not only do you keep your shorts dry but there's no sweat or movement restriction problem.

And it only weighs a couple of ounces.

I've seen you post this a few times and I had a question, if you don't mind. They all say that they have an adjustable waist line, and the only one that would fit me length wise is the XL. Honestly, would I be swimming in the waistline of this thing if I don't have an XL waist, or is it really that adjustable?

George
12-27-2010, 22:05
for april skip the heavy base layer pants go with the light, you already have shorts so skip the convertable pants go with rain pants till june then maybe go to convertables with no base and no rain pants. would not go with a down jacket that time of year to much care to keep it dry - a fast dry smooth fleece would be more ideal I would also skip the base 3 pullover in favor of a hooded wind shirt

10-K
12-27-2010, 22:07
I've seen you post this a few times and I had a question, if you don't mind. They all say that they have an adjustable waist line, and the only one that would fit me length wise is the XL. Honestly, would I be swimming in the waistline of this thing if I don't have an XL waist, or is it really that adjustable?

Very adjustable... Depending on the time of year and what I'm doing I wear either a 32" or 34" and it fits me great.

I've got the XL too...

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 22:17
Very adjustable... Depending on the time of year and what I'm doing I wear either a 32" or 34" and it fits me great.

I've got the XL too...

Thanks!! I was really hoping you'd say that because this rain skirt would give me something convenient to wet wipe bathe in and change in out in the woods. I'm finding that it is extremely difficult to find hiking clothes in tall heights. 35.5 is ideal, but 34 will do just fine too.

Thank you.

hillsanddales3
01-03-2011, 19:35
Hey Less. I'm a little late in the thread. 1+ for the ULA rainwrap. Another more traditional option would be the Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants. About 4 oz if I remember right, and they have mid-calf zips. Dynamos to start and finish, rainwrap in the middle. Bounce both as needed.