PDA

View Full Version : Big Cypress

elvisandedgar
12-26-2010, 20:49
Leaving in the morning for Big Cypress. We are going to do the trail from 75 sobo to Oasis. I will give a report on how the trail looks on Friday when we get home.

elvisandedgar
12-31-2010, 19:54
Just got home. We started at 75 and headed south it was ankle to knee deep mud most off the way until 13 mile camp. We made it to Ivy Camp the first night, came up just short of Oak Hill camp the second night found some dry land and made camp. This is the perfect place to use a hammock. Made it about three miles from 13 mile camp the third night around 4:30 or so and called it. At this point I should note that about a mile in my shoe ripped apart at the heel due to the mud and my camp sandals wouldn't stay on my feet so I was barefoot until Wed. at lunch. My feet are mangled but I figure I did about 9 miles barefoot. At this point the trail dried up and was easy hiking if my feet were not hurting so bad we would have made better time. It was alot drier than last New Years. We made 10 mile camp Thur. night the night we were suppose to leave. Got up Friday at 5:30 started hiking at 6:55 made Oasis at a little after 12:00. All things considered it was a good hike. It was probably one of the roughest few days I have ever spent getting through that mud, but we made it. Also we drank the water from the cypress domes after running it through brita water filter with no effects as of yet. I have some water left I would like to get tested anyone know where to get that done? Good hiking.

mistiaggie
01-01-2011, 16:32
Good to hear the water in the domes is good. Not happy about the mud, but it's got another week to dry up for us.

Thanks for the report.

whywoogy
01-08-2011, 17:39
I've been wanting to do this hike but do not want to wade through water all day. Was the mud spotty or were you trekking through miles of mud? Did you take any pictures that you would not mind posting?

elvisandedgar
01-08-2011, 17:47
the mud was pretty much continuous for about 9 miles. from mon.around noon until wed.around noon it was slow hard going. we didn't take as many pics as i would have liked. it was such hard going i put my camera away. i only took about 20 pics in 5 days. i can't figure out how to post pics or i would.

whywoogy
01-08-2011, 17:54
the mud was pretty much continuous for about 9 miles. from mon.around noon until wed.around noon it was slow hard going. we didn't take as many pics as i would have liked. it was such hard going i put my camera away. i only took about 20 pics in 5 days. i can't figure out how to post pics or i would.

9 miles? wow! How many days did it take from 75 to Oasis? How did you obtain your permit?

For pics..you can go to http://imageshack.us/ and upload there. After the upload it will give you a code to post here. I would love to see the pics! Thanks for the info.

elvisandedgar
01-08-2011, 18:08
it took from 10:30 mon. until 12:00 fri. we made little progress the first couple days then did 9 miles thur and 10 on fri. we had planned on four days but had allowed for five. it was fun but not as easy as expected. we did the trip in from oasis to 7 mile camp last year and that was not bad so we were thinking this would be a little easier than it was. found two packs that someone had dropped one still had a digital camera and a bunch of gear just laying in about 12 inches of water. probably 300.00 dollars or more worth of gear. i got some pics upload to my gallery. if you want a nice trip go in from oasis and hike to 13 mile camp leave your gear and do any easy hike out into the mud for a while as a day hike. it is up the trail a little further and you start hitting mud probably a lot easier without a heavy pack. you could spend two days out to 13 mile one day hiking/ sight seeing and two back. if you really want to make it the whole way it is doable but hard.