PDA

View Full Version : **GPS to be or not to be**

catingeorgia
12-27-2010, 02:47
i am looking for any information or opinions on bringing a gps along on a thru.:cool:

BradMT
12-27-2010, 04:12
I'm having trouble understanding how the most mapped, well-marked trail on the continent requires a GPS?

TheChop
12-27-2010, 07:20
I'm bringing along one because I'm big into the map on hikes. I like see how far off the next landmark is, see how high I am, see at what elevation I am, and try and estimate when I'll get places and I'm not good enough with real maps. While I can theoretically read a paper topo map seeing exactly where I am on the GPS and observing the surrounding area has really improved me map reading.

The other reason would be using the GPS logs to sync my pictures with locations.

But if you're just thinking of carrying it so you won't get lost then no.

restless
12-27-2010, 08:56
I am big into maps and GPS as well, and admit that the novelty of one on the trai lis appealing. However I would never bring one on a long hike for several reasons. On a long hike, weight is everything. While minimal in overall weight, every ounce counts and when you reach Neels Gap trying to figure what to send home, I would bet that a GPS would be close to the top of the list. Also, most places on the trail are canopy covered. Some of the high points would recieve a staellite signal very well. However, after about a week on the trail, you get to know your walking speed and that, combined with data book info, helps me to figure out how far I have to go to point B. Straight line distance doesn't matter to me because the AT is not a straight line. Lastly, it's electronic which means having to carry additional batteries which in turn means more weight. I would rather carry a map and brush up on map reading skills than worry about some piece of electronic equipment fizzling on me in the middle of a storm.

That said I usually carry a GPS with me on just about every dayhike and enjoy geocaching as well. They are admittedly lots of fun.

mweinstone
12-27-2010, 09:07
dead reconing, map skills, compass skills, a timex expedition watch with altimeter,compass ,barometer, altitude alarms and temp.witch also shows bearings in degrees,....is how i know im lost all the time. never been found once.

Spokes
12-27-2010, 09:10
Count it as a luxury item. Personally, I'd rather carry the extra weight in Snicker Bars. Your choice.....

Cheers!

Old Hillwalker
12-27-2010, 09:24
I took a Garmin GPS MAP60CSX on my 315 mile backpack across NW Scotland. Since a good part of the hike was through remote mountainous areas without trails, and that fog, mist and rain could make it difficult to navigate I had a Western Scotland chip in the GPS. The route had been drawn at home on the PC and then dumped to the GPS.

Since that GPS is only good for around 8 hours of continuous use before the 2 AA batts ran out I kept the GPS off unless I really needed it to see whether or not I was on course. I also carried 1:25,000 maps as a main resource.

I wouldn'nt carry it where there is such a well worn trail as the AT

Videos at:

http://videothumb39.webshots.com/thumb/33838/3009239300063988367IfyIouth_002_0.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/303932072IZpQFz)

BrianLe
12-27-2010, 15:37
For those bringing a smartphone, possibly you have a gps chipset on the phone in which case you (a) just add requisite software and maps, or (b) minimal software and bring along paper maps (maps that have lat/long or UTM grid lines printed on them). The point here is to pay no weight penalty for something you'll rarely if ever use (much less need) on the AT.

Starting in Feb this year I did fire up the GPS a couple of times early on, but didn't really need to. Even when a fairly heavy fresh snowfall covered the trail, by paying careful attention a person could generally find trail. Certainly it's possible for early starters to lose the trail in new snow.

TheChop
12-27-2010, 15:41
Since that GPS is only good for around 8 hours of continuous use before the 2 AA batts ran out I kept the GPS off unless I really needed it to see whether or not I was on course. I also carried 1:25,000 maps as a main resource.

I get three or so days of continuous use out of my Lithium batteries. Were you using Alkaline?

wrongway_08
12-27-2010, 16:37
If you want to waste money, time, space and have to worry about loosing another item - carry it.

The trail is North or South. You shouldnt hike it if you need a GPS for that portion :)

Buy a 50 cent key chain compass and it'll do the same thing.

Old Hillwalker
12-27-2010, 18:28
I get three or so days of continuous use out of my Lithium batteries. Were you using Alkaline?

Yes I was, didn't think that the cost for Lithium was worth it in the UK. Also, at one point there was a need to carry 11 days of food. Considering the camera, headlamp ab=nd GPS, too many batteries

The route took you past only one town (Ullapool). The rest of resupply was problematic. Tiny stores.

catingeorgia
12-28-2010, 08:34
after reading up on the gps and comparing different posts i believe that the device would certainly have its uses. i found some really useful gps and gpx downloads that store among other things a centerline of the AT, coordinates for each shelter located on the AT, and waypoints for specific poi such as places to resupply and local hostels. i try and weigh the good and the bad and can only come up with a few cons to contrast the pros. so as an inexperienced thru hiker (as much as my opinion weighs) i feel that a gps device would be thoroughly effective. im including at the bottom of this post a link to the downloads.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805605/k.8389/Mapping_and_GIS.htm

Roland
12-28-2010, 08:49
after reading up on the gps and comparing different posts i believe that the device would certainly have its uses. i found some really useful gps and gpx downloads that store among other things a centerline of the AT, coordinates for each shelter located on the AT, and waypoints for specific poi such as places to resupply and local hostels. i try and weigh the good and the bad and can only come up with a few cons to contrast the pros. so as an inexperienced thru hiker (as much as my opinion weighs) i feel that a gps device would be thoroughly effective. im including at the bottom of this post a link to the downloads.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805605/k.8389/Mapping_and_GIS.htm

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion from this thread. But, it's your money, so you can do with it as you wish.

fiddlehead
12-28-2010, 09:58
I would carry one if I wanted to learn how to use one.
A luxury item? Probably, but an educational one.

Colter
12-28-2010, 11:13
It's an easy trail to follow. I would definitely bring a compass, though. I've had a GPS on other long trails and it was definitely worth it for me.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 11:56
i am looking for any information or opinions on bringing a gps along on a thru.:cool:
A GPS is totally unnecessary on the AT. Tons of folks hike it without.

If one just loves gadgets (I'm one of those) the GPS adds a bit of fun for the hike. You should consider it more of a toy.

Topo Maps is an app for the iPhone that allows for amazingly detailed maps to be uploaded as you go. You do not need cell coverage for it to work. It is an excellent product for the occasional, "where the heck am I".

AT Trail is another app for the iPhone that is useful. It does NOT have the same quality maps as Topo Maps but does have more trail info. This app does not need cell coverage either and can tell you how far you are from the next water source, shelter, etc. This app is easy to misuse and folks can have trouble using it, making them think it doesn't work. It works.

mistiaggie
12-28-2010, 12:07
We used it all of twice last year. Once to figure out how far we were to a shelter in the beginning and then the second time---I don't even remember.

Dead weight.

handlebar
12-28-2010, 12:13
There's no need for a GPS on an AT thru. Heck, you don't even need the maps. I wound up cutting the profiles off the maps and using those to know what the upcoming day would be like in terms of climbs, but now some of the guidebooks have profiles in them.

Bearpaw
12-28-2010, 12:17
It's a fun toy on the AT but not much more. The only real reason to take a GPS is if you really enjoy working with GPS.

Your Data Book or Guidebook will tell you how far it is to the next spot.

hikerboy57
12-28-2010, 12:19
Count it as a luxury item. Personally, I'd rather carry the extra weight in Snicker Bars. Your choice.....

Cheers!
another vote for snickers, havent found a way to gt lost yet.

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 12:59

Does anyone have a link for just the grid coordinates? I didn't see them and I think having those would be really useful with a compass in a storm. (I love land nav and couldn't imagine depending on the GPS for this)