PDA

View Full Version : I ate wild mushrooms and I'm still alive!

sbhikes
12-27-2010, 11:27
I was hiking with my boyfriend. We found some mushrooms and decided to take a couple of them home. We searched online and were able to positively identify them as California golden chanterelles. More precisely, we were not able to find anything about them to identify them as anything else or to give us any doubt. The mushrooms we found met every criteria for chanterelles. So I sauted them with butter and garlic and we had them for dinner. 15 minutes went by and we felt okay. Then an hour. Then two hours. Still no cramps or vomiting. We woke up this morning healthy as ever. They were delicious and now we know how and where to find them! This is one of the most adventurous things I've done. I'm happy I lived through it. Here's dinner!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5296948518_c2c6a4b48f_m.jpg

Carbo
12-27-2010, 12:03
Based on their appearance when cooked, I am certain they are the Inocybe Erubesuens commonly confused with the edible Calcybe Gambosa. The ones you ate typically take 72 hours before the central nervous system is affected by a strong aphrodisiac. You and your boyfriend better humker down and BE PREPARED!

Carbo
12-27-2010, 12:05
Kidding.....!

Luddite
12-27-2010, 12:11
mmm looks good. You gotta be careful with mushrooms,though. I guess Chanterelles are pretty distinct looking.

Pedaling Fool
12-27-2010, 12:13
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/12/local/me-poison12

Boothill
12-27-2010, 12:44
wild mushrooms are something you probably don't want to mess with unless you are sure of what you have, it's just not worth the risk, and there are so many poisonous species that look exactly alike their edible counterparts, i pick shrooms every year and can tell you, i can even get fooled at times in the field, so i go through them again at home and have found some poisonous ones that i picked by accident

they're yummy but you should be very careful

boot

The Snowman
12-27-2010, 12:54
all I will say about this is "there are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters but there are no bold old mushroom hunters". If your intrestered in wild mushrooms join a local club and learn to pick safely.

ChinMusic
12-27-2010, 13:10
"there are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters but there are no bold old mushroom hunters".
Excellent.

I stick to morel mushrooms. They are distinct enough and very seasonal, so I feel safe.

Rocket Jones
12-27-2010, 13:24
I find that I can saute pencil erasers in butter and garlic and get the same dish. Works for calimari too. ;)

Carbo
12-27-2010, 13:36
I find that I can saute pencil erasers in butter and garlic and get the same dish. Works for calimari too. ;)

Hahah, yeah that calamari reminds me of rubber bands. The butter and garlic can even make old socks tast good!

sbhikes
12-27-2010, 13:57
These were definitely chanterelles. The false chanterelles won't kill you and they don't taste good. The Jack o' lanterns won't kill you either, but they are poisonous. We found the Jack o' lanterns once and these did not look anything like them. We got a friend to ID the chanterelles and he was 100% positive. We had already eaten one by then.

I wouldn't try this with other mushrooms that do have fatal look-alikes. But in this case since the look-alikes would at most make us very sick and at the least just taste bad, it seemed worth a try.

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2010, 14:06
Calamari is funny, you have to cook it either very quickly at high heat - perhaps two or three minutes for those little rings in a deep fryer or pan, or cook it for an hour or so in a casserole with other ingredients. Anything in between will be rubber bands. Has to do with the proteins in the squid flesh. Clams are similar, overcook = rubber.

kayak karl
12-27-2010, 14:10
met a Princeton professor from Italy in the woods. he said there is a saying, "there are bold mushroom gathers, there are old mushroom gathers, but there are no old bold mushroom gathers" :-?

trailangelbronco
12-27-2010, 14:11
Yeah, I love Morel Mushrooms. I pick em every year and hike when they are sprouting up in a old burn area that I know.

Smile
12-27-2010, 14:13
You are very lucky.

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2010, 14:29
You are very lucky.Definitely. I'll bet they were wearing cotton when they picked them too.

fiddlehead
12-27-2010, 14:38
Chantrelles are very good.
WE found them a few times on our PCT hike in '96 and had them with garlic and oil which i normally carry.
Good Stuff.

GeneralLee10
12-27-2010, 14:50

To funny :)

Dogwood
12-27-2010, 19:04
I ate wild mushrooms, saw pretty chalaediscope colors, and survived too! No eggs or potatoes required.

TIDE-HSV
12-27-2010, 20:06
I ate wild mushrooms, saw pretty chalaediscope colors, and survived too! No eggs or potatoes required.

Did terrible things to your spelling, though... ;)

Smile
12-27-2010, 20:11
Definitely. I'll bet they were wearing cotton when they picked them too.

and in the rain, on the north side of a mountain. ;)

sbhikes
12-27-2010, 20:11
Chantrelles are very good.
WE found them a few times on our PCT hike in '96 and had them with garlic and oil which i normally carry.
Good Stuff.

Wow, I can think of only a few days on the PCT when I might have found chanterelles.

There's nothing better than food you find in the forest. Berries, onions, fruit, nuts, seeds, greens, fish, things that have feet or wings and now mushrooms. There's something just so primally fun about finding food.

sbhikes
12-27-2010, 20:13
and in the rain, on the north side of a mountain. ;)

Shoosh! You are giving too much away. I'll never tell you where I was. I was most definitely not wearing cotton, but I did not have a compass or map. Caution to the wind, baby! :eek::rolleyes:

Smile
12-27-2010, 20:14
No cellphone either..... ;)

fiddlehead
12-27-2010, 21:48
Wow, I can think of only a few days on the PCT when I might have found chanterelles.

There's nothing better than food you find in the forest. Berries, onions, fruit, nuts, seeds, greens, fish, things that have feet or wings and now mushrooms. There's something just so primally fun about finding food.

In Oregon and close to the WA border, we were finding them almost everyday.

BigHodag
12-27-2010, 22:22
All mushrooms are edible at least once.

Recommend you only eat mushrooms that are edible at least two or more times.

Dogwood
12-28-2010, 00:55
That's a hard wurd, at least for me, to spell Tidely. I knew I had it whrong but was too much in a horry and tired to spelt check it.

TIDE-HSV
12-28-2010, 01:24
That's a hard wurd, at least for me, to spell Tidely. I knew I had it whrong but was too much in a horry and tired to spelt check it.

Glad it wasn't the mushrooms after all... :)

Newb
12-28-2010, 09:01
I found some chicken of the woods at the Manassas gap shelter (growing on a log)

sbhikes
12-28-2010, 18:41
We went back to get some more! This is my boyfriend. I hope he cooks them up better than I did! If we live after eating all these, then we'll know for sure, won't we?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5301485028_b2fc0097cc.jpg

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2010, 19:27
You're either going to be really full :sun, really high :cool:, or really dead :eek:.

Rocket Jones
12-28-2010, 19:41
I need a bigger pencil. ;)

SassyWindsor
12-28-2010, 21:00
You have much better odds of NOT eating a poisonous mushroom in the US than you would in western Europe, due to the numbers and varieties. I also remember reading that 90% of fatalities are caused by the "death cap" and that cooking them, by any means or length, does not lessen the toxicity. I do know that some folks, mostly amateurs, look for and consume "magic mushrooms" to get a buzz, sometimes that leads to sickness or death. I also understand that of the thousands of different varieties of mushrooms that less than a 100 of these or toxic, not necessarily deadly, but toxic.

Smile
12-28-2010, 21:25
"Before I say anything else about the Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus, see photos above and below), I need to emphasize that it is very important to know what kind of tree it is growing on! Since the tree is often dead, this can be a bit tricky—but it's important because when the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf grows on certain kinds of trees, it should be avoided! (There are actually distinct species, such as L. gilbertsonii which found on various hardwoods, primarily in California; L. conifericola, which grows on various conifers; and L. huronensis, which grows primarily on Eastern hemlock and is especially common during springtime.) Fortunately, the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf is usually found on trunks, stumps and logs that still bear some bark, which can be the vital clue to identifying the tree—IF you can identify trees on this basis. The bottom line is that if you cannot tell the bark of a black cherry tree from that of an Eastern hemlock tree, for example, you ought to steer clear of the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf unless it is growing on a living tree that you can identify.

SULPHUR SHELF MUSHROOMS GROWING ON ANY CONIFER TREE (PINE, HEMLOCK, SPRUCE, FIR, LARCH/TAMARACK, ETC.), EUCALYPTUS, OR LOCUST TREES SHOULD NOT BE EATEN! Also, as with a number of wild mushrooms and many other foods (e.g. shellfish, peanuts, and milk products), some individuals have allergic reactions to this particular species.

Now that you've been duly warned, I can tell you this: Few edible wild mushrooms are considered as exciting a find as the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf. It has a unique mushroomy flavor and a slightly grainy, meaty texture, and a single dead tree or log will often....." READ IT ALL here http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles4.htm

This is a good website by the way :)

how do you get the photo to 'show up' in your post? i have not figured that one out yet :)

TIDE-HSV
12-29-2010, 01:31
"Before I say anything else about the Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus, see photos above and below), I need to emphasize that it is very important to know what kind of tree it is growing on! Since the tree is often dead, this can be a bit tricky—but it's important because when the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf grows on certain kinds of trees, it should be avoided! (There are actually distinct species, such as L. gilbertsonii which found on various hardwoods, primarily in California; L. conifericola, which grows on various conifers; and L. huronensis, which grows primarily on Eastern hemlock and is especially common during springtime.) Fortunately, the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf is usually found on trunks, stumps and logs that still bear some bark, which can be the vital clue to identifying the tree—IF you can identify trees on this basis. The bottom line is that if you cannot tell the bark of a black cherry tree from that of an Eastern hemlock tree, for example, you ought to steer clear of the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf unless it is growing on a living tree that you can identify.

SULPHUR SHELF MUSHROOMS GROWING ON ANY CONIFER TREE (PINE, HEMLOCK, SPRUCE, FIR, LARCH/TAMARACK, ETC.), EUCALYPTUS, OR LOCUST TREES SHOULD NOT BE EATEN! Also, as with a number of wild mushrooms and many other foods (e.g. shellfish, peanuts, and milk products), some individuals have allergic reactions to this particular species.

Now that you've been duly warned, I can tell you this: Few edible wild mushrooms are considered as exciting a find as the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf. It has a unique mushroomy flavor and a slightly grainy, meaty texture, and a single dead tree or log will often....." READ IT ALL here http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles4.htm

This is a good website by the way :)

how do you get the photo to 'show up' in your post? i have not figured that one out yet :)

If it's hosted on a website, you use the UBB code of ...

sasquatch2014
12-29-2010, 20:58
Oysters. Yep find a good deal of Oyster Mushrooms when I am out and about that is one of a few that I feel comfortable picking and eating. I found a great flush this year very early fall on my way home from work one day and made a huge pot of Cream of Mushroom soup.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 21:17
These grow in my back pasture by the fence :eek: I'm SO tempted . . . :dance

http://ih0.redbubble.net/work.1879174.3.flat,550x550,075,f.amanita-muscaria-mushrooms.jpg

sbhikes
12-29-2010, 23:04
Those are some scary looking mushrooms. I wouldn't eat anything that looked like that.

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 23:12
i hate this thread. any advice i can offer is redundent to common sence given. i dont mean given by other posters here. i mean certian common sences are a givin. apon seeking safe travel thru the further places, or in your jade plant. mine had a shroom o death growing in it last month. anyway, just so im not guilty if you eat bad shrooms,..and because you cant say things enough some times, and cause maby it hasnt been said(1 in 9 trillion chance),..old wrinkely folks need to take you shrooming. never a book the first times.sorry bobby,r.i.p.,..or any young whipper snapper who has shroomin asperiunce.
gabeesh?

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 23:22
ill give you a really scary example of how it turns deadly quick when you dont have an old guy like old man bobby, the best shroomer in bloomers ever was.
take any mushroom. or even a silly ramp. all have their lookalike. all books have mistakes. well most. take the ramp. ramp stew, ramp shrimp, ramp gum, ramp pie, ramp and fryed eggs, ramp scampi, i could go on. we all think we know what they are and we go down the trail proude of our ramp ramans and so on. but theres a certian little party pooper lookalike caled a death calamus. next lets look at the other single most likely to be found in a thruhikers belly mushroom. a morrel. most folks eatin morels know how to get them cause they got taught by gramps. or whoever. but not every book learned shroomers book may show or tell of the false morrel. most books do. but i can show you ones that dont is my point. and death is the difference between a hollow stem or not. not so hard to learn. but from a person who has lived long and eaten them that they picked , its a safe bet its safe. however, to be free of any worry,firstimers cannot depend on a book. rant ends. sorry.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 23:59
Those are some scary looking mushrooms. I wouldn't eat anything that looked like that.
I haven't eaten any of them in a very long time - going on 30+ years. But as I remember they were quite an experience, but definitely not in a gastronomic sense.

AndyBees
12-30-2010, 19:05

Rocket Jones......... I agree with you 1000%. Cardboard chopped, sauted in any funky butter or immitation thereof and Garlic get the same taste.......

Mushrooms are a great delicacy....... why destroy their awesome flavor with Garlic?

Garlic is for the Chef who cannot COOK. So, he/she masks everything with a ton of Garlic.

Here in the east we consume Morel mushrooms from the wild.....there's lots of recipes (no garlic) that bring out the awesome flavor of the Morel.

Sure, I'm being somewhat facetious, but most high end restaurants these days don't offer mashed potatoes that are not loaded with Garlic and BUTTER.......... and, 'ell they're too lazy to remove the jackets...LOL:D

Lastly, garlic or no garlic, be sure you know what you are eating when it comes to mushrooms from the wild!

Trail on!

HiKen2011
12-30-2010, 19:12
I was hiking with my boyfriend. We found some mushrooms and decided to take a couple of them home. We searched online and were able to positively identify them as California golden chanterelles. More precisely, we were not able to find anything about them to identify them as anything else or to give us any doubt. The mushrooms we found met every criteria for chanterelles. So I sauted them with butter and garlic and we had them for dinner. 15 minutes went by and we felt okay. Then an hour. Then two hours. Still no cramps or vomiting. We woke up this morning healthy as ever. They were delicious and now we know how and where to find them! This is one of the most adventurous things I've done. I'm happy I lived through it. Here's dinner!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5296948518_c2c6a4b48f_m.jpg

I'd be to skeered!!

sbhikes
12-30-2010, 20:08
My Man is a good cook. He cooked them with marsala wine, goat cheese and a little honey. Oh my, was that good! We've now picked about 30 pounds of these babies. They are very delicious.

It's fine if most of you would never do this. That leaves more for me!

Smile
12-30-2010, 22:45
rant ends. sorry.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed that particular rant :)

mweinstone
12-31-2010, 00:16
i think being scared to eat a shroom handed to you by someone you know and trust is the same as not wanting sassafrass tea or for that matter ,unwashed wild blueberries. fear is fear. and theres nothing cooler than the smile on someones face when you cook up milkweed pods and they eat their first wild food and go off telling storys of bravery and daredeviledness.its not as much fear as food predujuce.the trick to introduceing folks to wild foods is to only feed them the ones that mimic what they know at first then move on to wildflower salads and the weirder stuff. the single easiyest way to catch a carnivore is with crawfish cooked on the trail. the wafts of lobsterlike aromas fuel what can be called lobsteria.to catch a vegan, or a veggetairian, milkweed pods taste exactly exactly like baby corn when steamed or boiled. the shroomphobic will only eat a puffball. witch is in essence a beefsteak mushroom escaped from cultivation returned to the wild. getting someone to eat chicory coffie after watching you roast dirty roots and boil them is harder.

Marta
01-03-2011, 08:31
Gathering wild mushrooms is a national pastime in Russia, so when we lived there, we went along on a number of mushrooming expeditions. Mushrooms were grouped into ones that anyone would recognize (and which had no poisonous lookalikes), moderately hard to identify, and for experts only. We stuck to type 1.

We were told of a process for dealing with questionable mushrooms:
1) Cut it with a silver knife. If the knife becomes tarnished where it touches the mushroom, don't eat the mushroom.
2) Touch the cut mushroom with your tongue. If it tastes bitter or soapy, don't go any farther.
3) Eat a small piece before eating the rest.

BTW, I've never tried the above advice; just never have gotten in the habit of carrying a silver knife around.

Erin
01-03-2011, 23:01
Timely post. I would love to try chantrelles, but I need to be 100 percent positive and am only positive about morels. I received this wonderful Missouri mushroom book for Christmas, by a Missouri expert. Brand new excellent book. It should help with the non look alike that I would like to try such as chicken of the woods.

For those of you eating ones you don't know....save a bit for the doc in case of shock. Save a sliver to save the liver.....

Roland
01-04-2011, 04:25
~
Save a sliver to save the liver.....

Clever saying!