PDA

View Full Version : March 1st start date

Mountain_Goat
12-27-2010, 11:59
I am starting my thru hike on march 1st.Uncertain between my -5 degree bag that weighs 6lbs or my 10 degree bag that weighs 3lbs. any suggestions?:eek:

Serial 07
12-27-2010, 12:03
10 degree plus a super warm bag liner...

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90

Serial 07
12-27-2010, 12:04
or

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/91

bigcranky
12-27-2010, 12:13
A good solid 10-F bag should be fine, especially if you wear your dry camp clothes to bed.

max patch
12-27-2010, 12:13
If I had to make that choice I'd start with the -5 degree bag since I already owned it. Probably carry it thru the GSMNP and then swap out.

Actually, to be honest, I wouldn't start that early. Too cold. And I'd finish too early and miss the New England colors.

BrianLe
12-27-2010, 15:41
Who makes the bags, and are they both in good condition?

In general, 10 degree bag, bring some clothing along to wear in camp and that you can wear inside the bag on colder nights. I started in late Feb this year with a 20F WM bag, but augmented with clothing (down parka, down booties). Bottom line is to consider your clothing, and your tent too (if you use a double wall tent or bivy in particular) in your total sleeping warmth package.

CinciJP
12-27-2010, 19:26
10 degree plus a super warm bag liner...

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90

Hey Serial, thanks for this suggestion. I'm thinking of a 2012 start in early March with a 15 degree down bag, so this addition should help.

Mango
12-27-2010, 20:10
I started on 7 March 06 with a 25* degree down WM bag. I used a thermarest pad and wore my long johns to bed. Never got uncomfortably cold except when my foot would shift off the thermarest. This past year I did the PCT (southern half, including the Sierra) with the same bag and a NeoAir, plus a cheap foam pad as a cushion and guard against punctures. I stayed warm, even when sleeping on snow. Wear as many clothes as you need and you'll be fine. Go with the lighter bag. Also, take a balaclava and fleece gloves. Good luck.

Blissful
12-27-2010, 21:41
On March 5th I took a 15 degree bag with a liner. Did fine

Panzer1
12-27-2010, 21:45
a 6 pound bag is too heavy.

Panzer

Mountain_Goat
12-27-2010, 21:52
Who makes the bags, and are they both in good condition?

In general, 10 degree bag, bring some clothing along to wear in camp and that you can wear inside the bag on colder nights. I started in late Feb this year with a 20F WM bag, but augmented with clothing (down parka, down booties). Bottom line is to consider your clothing, and your tent too (if you use a double wall tent or bivy in particular) in your total sleeping warmth package.

thanks for the suggestion. My -5 degree bag is a mountain hardware.brother inlaw used it on his thru hike in 05,swore by it.Mine is an rei bag,never been used.

Datto
12-31-2010, 19:38
What you might consider is taking a 4 ounce Mylar sleeping bag to use inside your regular sleeping bag (don't use it on the outside of your regular sleeping bag). I used a Mylar sleeping bag occasionally on my AT thru-hike (I used a Feathered Friends 20*F for my regular sleeping bag) and it made a world of comfort difference on the exceptionally cold nights. On the PCT I carried a Mylar sleeping bag every night and used it in the cold parts about 1/3 of the time.

Since you're planning to leave in early March, if the cold gets outlandish you can put the Mylar sleeping bag inside your regular sleeping bag and heat up some water in your water bottle and put that water bottle inside the Mylar sleeping bag. You'll be way warmer (but a little wet with warmth wet) and your sleeping bag will remain dry.

The Mylar sleeping bag I've used most recently is the one by Adventure Medical Kits which holds up much better than the lower-end Mylar sleeping bags. You can buy those at most on-line backpacking stores. There's also a Mylar sleeping bag by the Space company but the Adventure Medical Kits one holds up a little better than the Space brand one.

Datto

wrongway_08
12-31-2010, 19:58
I used a 20 degree bag on my thru and that was plenty! 10 will be fine. Oh yea, started on March 1st also.

DapperD
01-01-2011, 12:51
I am starting my thru hike on march 1st.Uncertain between my -5 degree bag that weighs 6lbs or my 10 degree bag that weighs 3lbs. any suggestions?:eek:If the 10 degree bag is manufactured to accurately reflect it's 10 degree rating, then going with that will probably suffice. If it is not accurate, then the warmer -5 degree rated bag will probably be better (assuming that too is accurately rated), however weighing in at 6lbs. is kinda heavy and sounds burdensome.

footpad
01-03-2011, 16:22
a liner of some sort is always a good idea with down bags. especially those as expensive as WM.

it helps keep the bag clean. plus it will add a tad but of warmth.

SawnieRobertson
01-04-2011, 13:04
What you might consider is taking a 4 ounce Mylar sleeping bag to use inside your regular sleeping bag (don't use it on the outside of your regular sleeping bag). I used a Mylar sleeping bag occasionally on my AT thru-hike (I used a Feathered Friends 20*F for my regular sleeping bag) and it made a world of comfort difference on the exceptionally cold nights. On the PCT I carried a Mylar sleeping bag every night and used it in the cold parts about 1/3 of the time.

Since you're planning to leave in early March, if the cold gets outlandish you can put the Mylar sleeping bag inside your regular sleeping bag and heat up some water in your water bottle and put that water bottle inside the Mylar sleeping bag. You'll be way warmer (but a little wet with warmth wet) and your sleeping bag will remain dry.

The Mylar sleeping bag I've used most recently is the one by Adventure Medical Kits which holds up much better than the lower-end Mylar sleeping bags. You can buy those at most on-line backpacking stores. There's also a Mylar sleeping bag by the Space company but the Adventure Medical Kits one holds up a little better than the Space brand one.

Datto

Always so good to hear from Datto~~~~~:banana

Tenderheart
01-04-2011, 13:07
A good solid 10-F bag should be fine, especially if you wear your dry camp clothes to bed.

ditto

litefoot 2000

pattydivins
01-24-2011, 20:25
How about a 30 degree down bag for a early march start? It would save me close to 2 pounds compared to my 20 degree synthetic. I would most likely wear clothes to bed (patagonia cap 2 top and bottom, balaclava, mittens, down vest).

10-K
01-24-2011, 20:26
a 6 pound bag is too heavy.

Panzer

And would probably take up half the pack.

Llama Legs
01-24-2011, 21:36
I am starting my thru hike on march 1st.Uncertain between my -5 degree bag that weighs 6lbs or my 10 degree bag that weighs 3lbs. any suggestions?:eek:

You might consider 10 degree with a down filled pad. Sure is nice on wood.

takethisbread
01-25-2011, 06:58
10 degree bag is more than fine, if you are worried about being too cold, you are on the wrong trip. March 1 is a great start date, as long as the weather is good then, if not hang out in the Hiker Hostel for a week for $100!

most people i noticed owned no better rating than that, a few, myself included, owned a Zero bag, but not many. you will trade out after the Smokey's anyway.

Billy Bill
01-28-2011, 10:59
Hello Mountain Goat. Try sleeping outside now before you hit the trail. I too am starting March 1st. I live in south Florida but have been up in PA visiting family and buying my gear. I have a +15f down marmot bag and a +15 sleeping bag liner. I tried it out last night and the temps got down to 30f. I used the liner and was fine for the most part. I agree with other post about dry camp clothes - this will help too. My suggestion is to try it out now at home. At least now, you could always go back inside the house if it does not work...ya know what i mean.

Blissful
01-28-2011, 11:18
Use a tent too for added warmth.