PDA

View Full Version : Hammock question

rjjones
12-27-2010, 15:27
I am about to buy a tent.But i am wondering if a hammock would be better{not sleeping on the ground}My question is,are hammocks only comfortable to people who sleep on their backs as apposed to side or stomach sleepers??Thanks,RJ :-?

Old Hiker
12-27-2010, 15:34
I have a Clark Jungle hammock - several years old - the mid-range one (?). I'm 6'2", 200 (!) pounds and can sleep on my side with no problem. It's the only hammock I've used, though. Hammock Forums will give you as much info as you can possibly process and then some!

Evolve from the ground-dwellers!

Phreak
12-27-2010, 15:48
I'm a side sleeper and have no issues sleeping in my Hennessy.

topshelf
12-27-2010, 16:16
I sleep like a baby in my Trek Light Double hammock. On the ground I barely sleep at all.

If you do choose to go with a hammock consider you will need a hammock, tarp, top quilt, and under quilt. Top quilt and under quilt may not me necessary if you only hike and camp in warm weather. But the reason I state this is those 4 things can get super pricey quick. But yes, check out hammockforums.net before you decide.

Luddite
12-27-2010, 16:18
I'm a side sleeper and have no issues sleeping in my Hennessy.

+1

Pretty comfortable for side sleepers.

Two Tents
12-27-2010, 16:32
I usually never sleep on my back when at home. But in my hammock I often wake up and find, to my surprise, I'm on my back. Sleeping on my side in a hammock, I get better rest than in any position in my tent. I have a neoair mattress which has made my tent times better than they ever were -just sayin

Doc Mike
12-27-2010, 17:01
Hennesey Hammock

couscous
12-27-2010, 17:07
This is the expression most people have after sleeping in a hammock.
http://bitsandpieces.com/images/250/46523_1.jpg
Big Stone Smiley Face (http://bitsandpieces.com/product.asp?pn=46523)

rjjones
12-27-2010, 22:55
Thanks for the response.Another question would be how do you handle rainy mornings, keeping equipment dry and getting boots on and dressed without getting soaked.Can you set up a tarp next to the hammock for an area to stay dry??RJ

jeremesh
12-27-2010, 22:57
use a bigger tarp that can give you room to do whatever you want under there

couscous
12-27-2010, 23:15
Thanks for the response.Another question would be how do you handle rainy mornings, keeping equipment dry and getting boots on and dressed without getting soaked.Can you set up a tarp next to the hammock for an area to stay dry??RJ

My tarp goes up first (if its needed) and comes down last. This allows everything else to be set up and taken down under the protection of the tarp. Cooking can also be done under the tarp. Wet tarp can be shaken, squeezed out, dried with a absorbent towel, wrapped outside the pack, or placed in a trash bag inside the pack until you have a chance to hang it out to dry.

topshelf
12-27-2010, 23:33
You pack up everything under your tarp. Once everything is ready to go you take down the tarp, strap it to the outside of your pack and off ya go. Much easier than dealing with a wet tent.

Turtle Feet
12-28-2010, 00:11

Set up your hammock under the tarp, gear can sit under the hammock or hang from the tarp & hammock suspension.

I love my hammock (Warbonnet Blackbird), and at my age would not be able to start this thru-hike if knew I had to spend the better part of 5 months on the ground.

Also - I sleep on my side in the hammock (as well at home), snug as a bug in a rug. You WILL need an under quilt if you're going to sleep in it in temps below 60ish. I have a great top and bottom quilt (that hangs under the hammock), and sleep in single digit temps with no problem.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

turtle feet :)

ocourse
12-28-2010, 16:42
I never sleep on my back because I will wake myself up snoring! The Hennessy is fine for me for sleeping on my side.
I have been out in lots of downpours but I have never separated the tarp from the hammock (although it makes sense). I use snakeskins and it is so fast that nothing gets very wet. The hammock is the last thing I pack. I have sometimes used the skins on the tarp only to isolate that wet component from the hammock and the rest of my gear. I can easily dress, cook, read, etc. under the hammock with the stock tarp, if I have taken time to set it low and to consider wind direction, etc.

perrito
12-28-2010, 16:49
Check out Shug's video series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0). Underneath all of the goofyness (but most entertaining :p) is a bunch of great information. Once you start poking around on Hammock Forums, you'll be hooked. Information overload! :D

Doctari
12-28-2010, 19:47
A good place to find answers to all your questions, & even to some you didn't know you had:
Hammockforums.net a site sponsored by WhiteBlaze.
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of info available on Hammocking. Some of us even hammock camp in the winter, in VERY COLD temps.

rjjones
12-28-2010, 20:10
Thanks alot for the info.It seems like there is enough room under the rain fly to store you pack and both dress and cook.Ive got to figure a way to get a first hand look at how this all sets up.I think{with my bad back}i can get a better night sleep with the hammock so i gota look at it closer.Thanks again,RJ

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 20:31
Thanks alot for the info.It seems like there is enough room under the rain fly to store you pack and both dress and cook.Ive got to figure a way to get a first hand look at how this all sets up.I think{with my bad back}i can get a better night sleep with the hammock so i gota look at it closer.Thanks again,RJ

I offered my sis in law to sleep in my hammock for a night or two to see if she could be comfortable in it. Maybe if you ask, someone near you might be able to extend you the same offer?

kayak karl
12-28-2010, 21:08
you say pa , but thats a big state. The winter hang is in the NJ Barrens http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20898 i have a complete setup with quilts down to 0 if your interested to try out. wes a friendly group. jersey devil will be there. bring him bourbon. :D

rjjones
12-28-2010, 21:28
Karl,thanks for the info.I'm in Collegeville,just west of philly.I marked those date on my calander and plan to drive there to check it out.RJ

kayak karl
12-28-2010, 21:42
Karl,thanks for the info.I'm in Collegeville,just west of philly.I marked those date on my calander and plan to drive there to check it out.RJ
your about 2 hours out. ill meet you or another member can when you cross a bridge. you won't regret it. its car camping so you got a bale out. you will learn more in camp then here.

this is from my journal. i learned more on the trail then i ever read.

PASS ON some good advice i got. TREK-shove something in your boots at nite so if they freeze you can still get your foot in. YOUNGBLOOD-put your headlamp around your neck as soon as you get to camp. it gets dark quick. SGT ROCK-get rid of the crap in your pack! SLUG-crypons or micro spikes. TAKE-A-KNEE-he cut my pack list by 5lb before i left. DARKMAN-don't pass up water. camel up and fill up. TIPI-layers, lots of layers and STAY dry. (this from reading all his posts) CURTIS-get rid of beacon (SPOT)(NO http://www.trailjournals.com/images/faces/smile.gif ). ROCKHOUND-heal, toe; heal, toe. SGT ROCK-get rid of more craphttp://www.trailjournals.com/images/faces/smile.gif many others have helped with advice and support also, to them THANKS also. if i were to give advice. HAVE FUN! if you have a bad day, forget about it, tomorrow will be better. i wish good days to all who are starting this year. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=261031

SassyWindsor
12-28-2010, 23:56
I want a hammock to use on certain trips, such as uneven terrain or easily flooded terrain. What I've been told is that a hammock should be considered as a 2 or 3 season shelter and that the added weight from under-quilts, etc to stay warm in comparison to a tent gets to be too much. The concerns of using a hammock, for me, would be Cold weather, treeless terrain, and the story I heard about lightning hitting trees in which the hammock hiker got fried (unverified, and wouldn't be a deal killer ).

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 23:58
The super shelter from HH to make it a four season hammock is only 17 ounces

WILLIAM HAYES
12-29-2010, 00:04
I have used a clark hammock a Hennessey Hammock and currently use a Warbonnet=I would never go back to a tent a hammock is more comfortable ==in the warbonnet I can sleep on my belly I also use a small lightweight inflatable pillow -best sleep ever check hammock forums for good info about hammocks

Doc Mike
12-29-2010, 07:30
Easy way to decide Hammock or Tent. Ask people see how many converted from tents to hammocks and then see how many went back to tents. I'm sure there are a few who went back to a tent after being in a hammock but I don't know any. Honestly hammock is probably slightly heavier, slightly more expensive, But the sleep is priceless.

Doc Mike

MedicineMan
12-29-2010, 08:23
also note that you can bring your tarp all the way to the ground when its really cold....i did that several times while hammocking in VT in October...if you get a tarp with doors then you've got the warmth advantage of a tent but your still above the roots, wet, rocks in the hammock. From a slight difference the only thing giving your rig away is the lines coming out of the tarp to the trees on either side.

Hooch
12-29-2010, 08:26
I've seen a few people who went back to the ground after trying hammocks, but they weren't right in the first place. :rolleyes::D

Seriously, approach it with an open mind. Trying a hammock, or anything else for that matter, with a closed mind or preconceived notions are a recipe for failure. I love my hammock, it's the most comfortable sleep I've ever had in the backcountry and I wouldn't think of going back to ground. A hammocker may pay a bit of a weight penalty, but the comfort you get in trade for it is well worth it, IMO.

Anything else hammocking: Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net). 'Nuff said.

Hooch
12-29-2010, 08:27
I'm also a dedicated side sleeper and have never been uncomfortable or unable to sleep in a hammock on my side.

kayak karl
12-29-2010, 08:29
I want a hammock to use on certain trips, such as uneven terrain or easily flooded terrain. What I've been told is that a hammock should be considered as a 2 or 3 season shelter and that the added weight from under-quilts, etc to stay warm in comparison to a tent gets to be too much. The concerns of using a hammock, for me, would be Cold weather, treeless terrain, and the story I heard about lightning hitting trees in which the hammock hiker got fried (unverified, and wouldn't be a deal killer ).
i've been down to -5 degrees, even in the whites its easy to drop down to treeline. as for lightning and trees in south jersey this summer two tenters were killed by falling trees, so i think the risk is the same for all.
weight. this is my winter gear.

Rocky Mountain Sniveller long-28 oz.
Te-Wa winter coat w/2 oz over stuff-20 oz.
DIY 11' Hammock w/Whoopie Sling Suspension-14 oz.
Cuben zpack tarp -8 oz.
Foot pad-3 oz.

for zero degrees @ 4 lb. 9 oz.

i'd be curious to know peoples bag, pad and tent weigh for winter.

kayak karl
12-29-2010, 08:39
The super shelter from HH to make it a four season hammock is only 17 ounces
i don't know of anyone that was happy with this and got it to the temps they claim. they never really claim a tenp # but say 4 season. have you gotten it below 32?

Raul Perez
12-29-2010, 08:57
i don't know of anyone that was happy with this and got it to the temps they claim. they never really claim a tenp # but say 4 season. have you gotten it below 32?

When I had the Hennessey I was definitely not satisfied with that set up. A lot of fiddle factor with it especially if you use the velcro bottom to enter and exit the hammock.

Fog Horn
12-29-2010, 09:13

I haven't received my hammock yet (they've been on back order for months now) but I'll let you know when I try it out :) There was a great thread on the hammock forum about the super shelter that I think helps out a lot.

rjjones
12-29-2010, 18:59
WOW! I'd like to thank everyone for there responses.Its been a huge help.RJ

eagleJ
12-29-2010, 19:27
I went from tent to a hammock for good last year and I'll never go back. I have a WBBB with 3 season Yeti UQ with a small foot pad and slept warm into the 20s. My pack is lighter and less bulky with hammock setup than with tent setup.

SouthMark
12-29-2010, 19:29
My winter setup:
Nano-7 with suspension and tree huggers - 9.7 oz
Zpacks cuben fiber tarp with ridgeline and guylines - 8.3 oz
Go Lite Ultra 20 top quilt - 18 oz
JRB No Siveler under quilt - 23 oz
IX under quilt - 8 oz

Total 4.18 lbs been down to 15 with this setup

I'm with you Karl. My GG "The One", Neoair, and MH Phantom 15 weigh 4.18 lbs.

topshelf
12-29-2010, 20:51
There are so many factors in all of this. I sat down and contemplated for weeks about what I should do. For me it came down to the fact that I don't get to do hardly any winter hiking because of my job as a teacher. The only chances I get are 1 nighters and the extra bulk doesn't mean much because I don't carry but 2 days of food. But really you should never expect your winter gear to ever weigh as little or fit in the same pack as your summer gear.

I still do occasionally go back to the ground to sleep to be more friendly with my hiking partners, or hiking partner(my girlfriend). It also helps when we are above tree line and not having to worry about hanging a hammock.

But as others have said, once you get that flat lay in a hammock it is pure bliss. When I sleep on the ground or in a shelter I am up every 20 minutes. If I'm on my side my arm falls asleep. If I'm on my back or stomach I snore like crazy and wake myself up. It made hiking miserable because I could never get to sleep. With my hammock I can and do sleep through the alarm on my watch.

I think the trend towards using a hammock for camping is underway. More and more people are converting and I think soon most people will be using a hammock. It's definitely the new camping fad. If more major companies made hammocks like a HH or a Warbonnet then everyone would be doing it. Warbonnet is already starting to make things overseas for more production...

...if they could only find a way to make silnylon, Spinn and Cuben tarps cheaper that would be wonderful

gunner76
12-29-2010, 21:56
What I've been told is that a hammock should be considered as a 2 or 3 season shelter and that the added weight from under-quilts, etc to stay warm in comparison to a tent gets to be too much

You don't get a tent or hammock based on how warm it will keep you. You get your tent or hammock and then you start factoring in the bottom insulation (pads and or a under quilt) and the sleeping bag or top quilt based on the weather conditions you expect to ue it in. Basically if it will keep you warm in a tent it will keep you warm in a hammock.

I use the same Wally World blue pad in my tent and hammock and a Sub 0 rated down sleeping bag as a top quilt for really cold weather and a 20 degree synthetic bag as a top quilt for cool weather and a military poncho liner for warner weather. I have used the same gear for years The main difference is that I am much more comfortable sleeping in my hammock than in a tent using the same gear. I could save a few ounces by getting a dedicated a TQ (top quilt) and UQ (under quilt) but my sleeping bags are in too good of shape to throw away ( I bought my down bag in the early 70's, North Face Ibex long)

My Warbonnet Blackbird hammock and a rain fly weights in at about 3 pounds. I then decide on the the bottom insulation and top insulation based on the weather conditions (how cold or warm is it going to be) I will be encountering.

On a recent camping trip my wife and I had to camp in a tent one night when the campground we got to did not have any place to hang a hammock. That was the most uncomfortable night of the trip.

Check out Hammockforums.net and see if there is a group hang (where a bunch of hammock campers get togeather to camp out) in your area. You can show up with your tent and get a chance to talk to hangers, check out differnet setups and even try out a hammock (most times there will be someone with a spare hammock you can try out).

Also check out Shug's videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0.
He covers most everything you need to know about hammock camping plus his stuff is just fun to watch