PDA

View Full Version : Anyone climbing Mt Washington Today?

Odd Man Out
12-27-2010, 20:38
in cotton?:banana

Luddite
12-27-2010, 20:48
Its a little chilly up there right now.

Temperature -9.8°F
Wind 45.2 mph
Direction 323° (NW)
Gust 56.4 mph
Wind Chill -43.8°F

wrongway_08
12-27-2010, 21:21
I always wear 2 layers of cotton, then wrap myself with 3 black plastic trash bags.
- The first layer of cotton wicks away the moisture close to skin.
- The 2nd layer absorbs this moisture, keeping me dry.
- The plastic bags keep the rian off and heat in.
*BONUS - the black bags absorb the suns heat so I don't get chilly.

When I got to the top of Mt. Washington this afternoon, it wasnt windy. I took off my plastic bags so the cotton would dry off.
The hike down Tuckersman was a little sketchy, my bag cought on the first waterfall and ripped. Lucky for me I had 2 spares!
With only 2 bags left, I wrapped the 3rd torn one around my head and face, My breath kept my head warm and most likely saved my life, Thank you Hefty!!!

After reaching the field below Tuckermans, I used one of my 2 good bags to sit on, keeping my jeans dry. Kept the one wrapped tight around my head so I didnt catch a chill - made it hard to eat, so I cut a mouth hole out to pass the fork through.

After a good lunch, and a 2 liter of pepsi, I headed to the shelters to take a mid afternoon nap. Only problem, the damn bag kept cut'n off my air, so I decided to forget the nap.

Was a great hike, I plan to do it againg Tuesday - This time I am going to bring the stretchy trash bags in hope they wont rip if cought on that damn rock by the waterfall!

Snowleopard
12-27-2010, 22:24
If you start with wet cotton, it'll freeze at the higher elevations; this makes it much more windproof, though a bit stiff.

George
12-27-2010, 22:28
I understand all hikers on mt washington today thought it was june 20 so no cotton

Driver8
12-27-2010, 22:37
I always wear 2 layers of cotton, then wrap myself with 3 black plastic trash bags. ...

I don't care who you are, that' funny. :D

DLANOIE
12-28-2010, 00:10
I thought about it...then decided against it cause I couldnt get a babysitter for the kids.:)

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2010, 08:46
I used the trash bags and hiking poles to make a sail and skied up Tucks on some barn boards using wind power. Then I used my frozen cotton jacket to make a devil's shingle and ride down the cog rail on the other side. Just another day in NH.

Roland
12-28-2010, 08:51
Mods, it's time to re-categorize this thread to the BS section.

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2010, 09:08
Mods, it's time to re-categorize this thread to the BS section.Oh, I thought it started there and went downhill ever since.

DLANOIE
12-28-2010, 10:29
Yeah, I met up with Sasquatch at the visitors center. He carried me like a backpack all the way to the top. Best way to travel in my opinion...;)

Driver8
12-28-2010, 12:59
I used the trash bags and hiking poles to make a sail and skied up Tucks on some barn boards using wind power. Then I used my frozen cotton jacket to make a devil's shingle and ride down the cog rail on the other side. Just another day in NH.

I went up Huntington Ravine and down Tuck's in wool socks, no shoes - did have Vibram Five Fingers hanging from my pack for decoration only. No trekking poles - real hikers don't use 'em. My Members Only Jacket, over a white t-shirt, together with a crisply ironed pair of cotton Dockers, fended off the worst the big W could offer and returned to the '80s, '50s and '90s after the hike. ...