PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Sixteen Section Hike?

Sunshine0202
12-27-2010, 23:14
For my daughters 16th birthday I want to take her for a section hike on the AT for her first time. I would like the section to be about 50 miles and not too strenuous... I don't want to sour her first experience by picking a section that is too hard. The section also needs to have easy access at each end. We will probably use amtrak or greyhound to get near the trail. My questions are:
1. any recommended sections (points of interest)?

2. best way to get from the train/bus station to the trail?

We are taking this trip at the end of April (Spring Break) or June (after school gets out for the summer).

Lillianp
12-27-2010, 23:31
I would think somewhere around the shenandoah national park or just north of it to Harper's Ferry. There's amtrak/commuter rail from DC right into Harper's Ferry and I think there're some shuttle options around the Shenandoahs. The area is quite pretty and isn't too difficult. Water can sometimes be an issue at shelters in the park (but there's waysides and campgrounds, so not truly an issue in the park). I don't remember mileage from the northern end of the park to Harper's Ferry nor do I have my book handy, but I'd recommend that.

Hikerhead
12-27-2010, 23:35
I would think somewhere around the shenandoah national park or just north of it to Harper's Ferry. There's amtrak/commuter rail from DC right into Harper's Ferry and I think there're some shuttle options around the Shenandoahs. The area is quite pretty and isn't too difficult. Water can sometimes be an issue at shelters in the park (but there's waysides and campgrounds, so not truly an issue in the park). I don't remember mileage from the northern end of the park to Harper's Ferry nor do I have my book handy, but I'd recommend that.

This gets my vote.

Lillianp
12-27-2010, 23:47

Also, I don't know how into the wilderness away from it all mentality she's got yet, but the SNP is fairly well civilized with the Skyline drive and stop offs at convenience store type places and a restaurant along the way. Which could either be negative or a way to motivate during a hard day.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 04:56
take Greyhound to Marion Va., get a shuttle from me or someone else to Dickey gap then walk southbound 50 miles through the Mount Rogers/Grayson highlands area to Damascus. easy hike and tons to see. then i shuttle you back to the bus station

Speakeasy TN
12-28-2010, 05:15
take Greyhound to Marion Va., get a shuttle from me or someone else to Dickey gap then walk southbound 50 miles through the Mount Rogers/Grayson highlands area to Damascus. easy hike and tons to see. then i shuttle you back to the bus station

Nice hiking and you can't beat the 16y.o./ ponies combination! If you really want to be a hero time it for Trail Days! She'll be a hiker for life.

Marta
12-28-2010, 07:15
Third for Grayson Highlands. Views and ponies.

MedicineMan
12-28-2010, 07:39
and pizza at the Partnership

bigcranky
12-28-2010, 10:01
+1 for Grayson Highlands. Wild ponies, awesome views, and easy shuttling from Damascus, VA. There are some solid climbs, though, just FYI.

Cookerhiker
12-28-2010, 10:33
I'd vote for Shenandoah because since you're taking public transportation, it's easier to get to. You can take AMTRAK to Washington, then either take the DC Metro to the westernmost point (Vienna) or AMTRAK to Charlottesville to access the Park. You'll need a shuttler - consult the ATC list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%2012-7-10.pdf). Hope it goes well for her. It's great that you're doing this!

tenn_hiker
12-28-2010, 13:41
im doing a section hike from springer to standing indian over spring break.. my first section hike of the A.T. i cant wait. im doing it alone though so that kinda sucks. but, good luck on your trip!

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2010, 13:48
... I don't want to sour her first experience by picking a section that is too hard . . .We are taking this trip at the end of April (Spring Break) or June (after school gets out for the summer).

Keep an eye on the weather forecasts. No, you can't control the weather, but you can modify a schedule or change locations if needed. A first trip during a week of nothing but steady rain probably wouldn't be a great first experience

N9ZSY
12-28-2010, 16:53
If you want to look at Amtrak, you can take Capitol Limited from South Bend (leaves about 9PM Eastern) and get off in Harpers Ferry WV (arrives around 11:30 AM) for $65/person each way right now... Maybe take the train out and get a shuttle north or south and then hike back to Harpers ferry and train it home? I plan on doing just that when I section that area... Only difference is I'll be leaving from Elkhart, not South Bend... Unfortunatly Amtrak does not stop in LaPorte...

The return trip would have you leave Harpers Ferry at around 5PM and get back to South Bend about 8AM... Times are "approximate" since we are talking Amtrak... I travel Amtrak quite a bit and enjoy it, even when running late...

JC

Sunshine0202
12-28-2010, 17:03
Thank you everyone for all the responses. Shenandoah is a great idea. She would like convenience store stops, but I know she would also love the ponies in the Grayson Highlands. I have always wanted to visit Damascus as well (or Harpers Ferry for that matter!)

I may message you about that shuttle Lone Wolf. That part of trip logistics is always the hardest for me.

Good idea 4eyedbuzzard to watch the weather and possibly change the trip accordingly. Thanks I hadn't thought of that!

I guess I will end up presenting her with a few options and letting her decide.

Kerosene
12-28-2010, 18:09
I planned for several years to determine where to take my teenage daughter for her first hike. I've hiked all of the sections mentioned above, and Grayson Highlands would be ideal if the weather is reasonable.

We ended up hiking a short section just north of the GA/NC border in late May 2010, which actually worked out quite well, but she's all the more interested in Grayson Highlands now.

Lone Wolf shuttled me for my section hike from Atkins to Damascus, which worked out very smoothly. I used MRO a few years later to get down to Hampton, and while they were on time they also had to coordinate a lot more hikers that morning.

Old Hillwalker
12-28-2010, 20:16

Perfect------

George
12-28-2010, 20:43
for a new hiker I would avoid shemnandoah, parking lots full of motor homes just is not that pleasant - in the middle of a long hike you can appreciate the yogi ops

Hikerhead
12-28-2010, 20:54
I planned for several years to determine where to take my teenage daughter for her first hike. I've hiked all of the sections mentioned above, and Grayson Highlands would be ideal if the weather is reasonable.

We ended up hiking a short section just north of the GA/NC border in late May 2010, which actually worked out quite well, but she's all the more interested in Grayson Highlands now.

Lone Wolf shuttled me for my section hike from Atkins to Damascus, which worked out very smoothly. I used MRO a few years later to get down to Hampton, and while they were on time they also had to coordinate a lot more hikers that morning.

And wait on me. he he.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 21:19
Thank you everyone for all the responses. Shenandoah is a great idea. She would like convenience store stops, but I know she would also love the ponies in the Grayson Highlands. I have always wanted to visit Damascus as well (or Harpers Ferry for that matter!)

I may message you about that shuttle Lone Wolf. That part of trip logistics is always the hardest for me.

Good idea 4eyedbuzzard to watch the weather and possibly change the trip accordingly. Thanks I hadn't thought of that!

I guess I will end up presenting her with a few options and letting her decide.

free shuttling if you decide to come here. y'all won't be disappointed. i'll throw in a free bike rental/shuttle down the Creeper trail too. i need to pay a lot back

Cookerhiker
12-28-2010, 21:30
for a new hiker I would avoid shemnandoah, parking lots full of motor homes just is not that pleasant ....

Not if they hike in April which is one of the options they're considering. They would enjoy early wildflowers and could take side trips down to some of the waterfalls. Even on weekends, there are not that many people in Shenandoah in April.

Sunshine0202
12-28-2010, 22:28
free shuttling if you decide to come here. y'all won't be disappointed. i'll throw in a free bike rental/shuttle down the Creeper trail too. i need to pay a lot back

Wow Lone Wolf! You may have just made up our minds for us. That is a very generous offer.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 22:32
Wow Lone Wolf! You may have just made up our minds for us. That is a very generous offer.

i've been blessed over the years. i'd be glad to help. just give me a few weeks notice. we'll make it happen :)

Hikerhead
12-28-2010, 22:34

Darn nice if you ask me. Plus you get to share some seat time with The Lone Wolf. Somethings money can't buy. You'll love that 20 mile downhill ride on the Creeper.

LIhikers
12-28-2010, 22:40
Another option would be to hike from Harper's Ferry, across Maryland, to Pennsylvania. It's 40 something miles, is easy enough for a first section hike, and will take you right past some Civil War hisoric sites as well as the original Washington Monument.
Come to think of it, the best way to do this probably would be Amtrac to Harper's Ferry, shuttle to Penn Mar park, hike back to Harper's Ferry, and Amtrac home.
Whatever you decide to do I hope you and your daughter have a great hike. There's nothing like an adventure for parents and kids to get to know each other as real people instead of just parent and child.