PDA

View Full Version : should I be concerned

enemy at the gate
12-28-2010, 10:15
ok folks, i live close to the trail crossing on Tennessee 19e , currently this morning it's about 5 degrees and we've had 16 inches of snow over the weekend. A car from Alabama appeared at this crossing on Monday, at what point should we be concerned about someone hiking in these insanely cold temps? I'll refrain from an extrended rant how STUPID! you need to be to hike in these conditions. So at what point do i inform the local authorites? Or do i just say "oh well"?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 10:18
it's only been a day. i wouldn't worry

10-K
12-28-2010, 10:20
I think "Oh well." is the best response.

I'm pretty sure I'm going hiking today. :)

Cookerhiker
12-28-2010, 10:24
I wouldn't worry about it now. You don't know for a fact whether they're well-prepared or not. Did they bring snowshoes? Do they have warm clothes? Does someone e.g. friend, family know their plans?

If they're ill-prepared, they won't get far in 16" of snow + 5 degree temps - they'll walk a little bit and then turn back. I think the concern should be greater if there was no snow (especially if a forecast calls for a lot later) because they could walk several miles before having a mishap in which case no one would be around to help them. I'd also fear for them if the daytime temps were higher but with expected nightimes in the single digits or if freezing rain was forecast although again, you don't know how well-perpared they are.

Experienced people do hike and camp in these conditions.

bigcranky
12-28-2010, 10:30
You can certainly skip the extended rant about hiking in these conditions. I for one would love to be out there right now.

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2010, 10:36
The OP is 11 years old?

It's cold and windy, but the storm itself is over. Lots of people out snowshoeing and XC skiing up here in NH.

Big Dawg
12-28-2010, 11:06
I'd be more concerned about vandalism at that road crossing.

Most venturing out in the stated conditions probably knows what they're in for, and are prepared. If they're not prepared, they'd follow their foot tracks back to the car and whimper home.

sbhikes
12-28-2010, 11:52
"Shouldn't be out in these conditions" is the rallying cry of our fearmongering culture which would like to keep you home in front of the TV, only venturing out to buy stuff.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 13:25
... at what point should we be concerned about someone hiking in these insanely cold temps? I'll refrain from an extrended rant how STUPID! you need to be to hike in these conditions.
Re conditions: You can get in trouble at 50° if you are not prepared. If you ARE prepared the conditions you mentioned are doable. Some folks live for those conditions while others find it unbelievable.

George
12-28-2010, 13:35
35 and rain is the weather to fear I will take 5F all winter

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 13:41
You got that right........

Wise Old Owl
12-28-2010, 13:54
What NOT hiking at these temps? - put on some snow shoes and stop acting like WOOSYFIED NFL PLAYERS - (Eagles)

TheChop
12-28-2010, 13:58

60 and rain is also something to fear. So easy to not realize how cold you get.

Foyt20
12-28-2010, 14:11
What NOT hiking at these temps? - put on some snow shoes and stop acting like WOOSYFIED NFL PLAYERS - (Eagles)

It was the NFL commisioner that called the game, not the players.

Joshuatree
12-28-2010, 14:54
more people need rescueing in whats considered nice weather temps in the 40's to 60's than need help in nasty weather, if they are hiking now they have a pretty good idea what they are in for and would be prepared. I get caught in weather like this in early spring anytime the wind shifts and the lake affect snow gets going

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2010, 14:58
It was the NFL commisioner that called the game, not the players.
The mayor declared a state of emergency in Philadelphia and talked with the NFL / Eagles. It was postponed for the fans and driving, transportation, parking issues - not the players or the Vikes who were already there. But I agree, those Eagles fans are Wussyfied [sic]. :eek: :D

Luddite
12-28-2010, 15:17
If the car is still there a week later then maybe you should worry. It ain't that cold.