PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather wuss

Crossbones
12-28-2010, 15:41
I'm planning a NOBO in 2012. I need to start, for schedule reasons, at the beginning of March. The direction and start date are nonnegotiable. For my entire life, I've been very susceptible to cold. I am underweight (and that's only going to get worse on the trail) and have a very low core body temperature. Last year I climbed Mt. LeConte (smokies ~6500 ft) in late March with 20 degree temps and got a minor case of hypothermia on the way down. Granted, I was underdressed, but even proper dress probably would not have kept me warm, especially once I was wet. So... my question is this: do you veteran hikers have any tips on how to stay warm without having to carry a ridiculously heavy pack?

Tipi Walter
12-28-2010, 15:56
If you want to stay warm in the dead of winter on long backpacking trips, I recommend some investment in goose down. Although my pack tends to be ridiculously heavy, it's not because of these three important items: A down parka(below), down pants and down booties. If you're serious about staying out for long periods of time in the winter, you may need to upgrade to some serious garments.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/7/7/d/18301/TRIP-107-263.jpg

wvgrinder
12-28-2010, 15:56
I'm pretty small myself. And I've found that yoga, or a little stretching, gets the blood flowing and really helps keep me warm.

Helios
12-28-2010, 15:57
Two things:

1. Layers

2. It's easier to stay warm than get warm

On the first note, you've got plenty of cold time between now and March to test out a layering system that will keep you warm.

Rocket Jones
12-28-2010, 19:27
...got a minor case of hypothermia on the way down. Granted, I was underdressed, but even proper dress probably would not have kept me warm, especially once I was wet. So... my question is this: do you veteran hikers have any tips on how to stay warm without having to carry a ridiculously heavy pack?

If "proper dress" won't keep you warm, then it's not proper dress. ;)

Everyone has to figure out what they need to keep warm. You've gotten some great advice here. Down. Exercise. Layers.

I second the idea of using this winter to test your cold weather gear. We've had an unusually cold and windy winter so far (dang global warming :D), and I've used my walk to and from work to really dial in my layers.

If you're getting sweaty wet, then you've got too much on.

Invest in a good hat and gloves too.

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 19:59
I'm pretty small myself. And I've found that yoga, or a little stretching, gets the blood flowing and really helps keep me warm.

I've got to do physical therapy daily, which is a lot like yoga. How long do you usually do a yoga routine for while hiking? My PT only takes about ten minutes. I'd have to do it on the trail or I won't make my thru. Any other hikers ever give you gruff about it?

Llama Legs
12-28-2010, 20:03
I'd look for a thrift store down coat that you wouldn't mind burning a few pin holes in near the fire. Easy to mail home.

maybe clem
12-28-2010, 20:57
I'd have to do it on the trail or I won't make my thru. Any other hikers ever give you gruff about it?

I spent about 20 minutes stretching at the end of each day of my thruhike. There was a little good-natured teasing in the shelters at first: "What is this, a yoga class?" Those hikers did not complete their thruhike (that I know of).

Cookerhiker
12-28-2010, 21:39
Even in cold weather, you will sweat some - after all, you're carrying a heavy backpack and hiking uphill a lot. Wicking shirts are great and a must-have but at the end of the day's hike if you're wet or even damp from sweat, take off the sweaty shirt and put on a dry shirt and a hat.

Slosteppin
12-28-2010, 22:03
Start hiking now and learn what clothes will work for you. You have easy access to the North Country Trail in Lowell, just east of GR. There are several good outdoor stores in GR where you can get advice from serious backpackers and buy the gear you need.

Black Wolf
12-28-2010, 22:14
If "proper dress" won't keep you warm, then it's not proper dress. ;)

Everyone has to figure out what they need to keep warm. You've gotten some great advice here. Down. Exercise. Layers.

I second the idea of using this winter to test your cold weather gear. We've had an unusually cold and windy winter so far (dang global warming :D), and I've used my walk to and from work to really dial in my layers.

If you're getting sweaty wet, then you've got too much on.

Invest in a good hat and gloves too.

Right on...one thing I've learned over the years...is that you can put it on if 'ya don't have it with you...nothing I hate more then sitting around camp...freezing my butt off...knowing my jacket is nice and warm hanging in my closet...

mudhead
12-29-2010, 13:30
I've got to do physical therapy daily, which is a lot like yoga.

same

Any other hikers ever give you gruff about it?

No. Piss on them anyway. Girls smile.:)

Crossbones
12-30-2010, 00:08
Thanks for the replies folks! I already have a down coat in fairly good shape, but even that doesn't keep me warm enough especially when I'm on ridgetops. Hats aren't a problem for me; I'd say that keeping my feet warm will be a big challenge, especially since they have tendency to get wet. Anyone have any advice on keeping the feet warm? My problem with wool socks is they tend to trap moisture against my feet, which leads to both cold feet and blisters, which I get quite easily because of bunions.

hobbs
12-30-2010, 00:32
Thanks for the replies folks! I already have a down coat in fairly good shape, but even that doesn't keep me warm enough especially when I'm on ridgetops. Hats aren't a problem for me; I'd say that keeping my feet warm will be a big challenge, especially since they have tendency to get wet. Anyone have any advice on keeping the feet warm? My problem with wool socks is they tend to trap moisture against my feet, which leads to both cold feet and blisters, which I get quite easily because of bunions.
what the issue is you are perspiring more through your feet because you have an endomorph body frame. I have had hypathermia from climbing same issue. So buy the Best polypro sock liners and the best grade smartwool or heavey wool socks possible. Also change your socks during the hike. When you rest. You can dry your socks on top your pack while hiking.

Crossbones
02-28-2011, 13:21
good point hobbs; I always feel cold but my hands and feet are always warm to others' touch.

earplug94
02-28-2011, 13:37
plastic kroger bags on your feet beneath socks. Trash bag with arm cutouts over capilene and beneath heavier garmets. These really work for me.

sbhikes
02-28-2011, 14:27
A barefoot runners forum I like to read suggested you can train your feet to stay warmer by training them to shed excess body heat. The way they said to do it is to put on warm clothing before you go outside, then do a little light housekeeping so you get warmed up inside the house. Get yourself to the point where you're wanting to take off your jacket. Now go outside and get your barefoot/sandal exercise. Your feet will have the easiest time shedding your excess body heat, so that will train them to stay warm. That's what they said on the forum. I am not sure if it works or not because I live in Santa Barbara. I have been wearing sandals a lot this winter, though, and can say that my feet may get cold but not uncomfortably so.

As for what actually works for me is more layers, especially layers that do not let wind get in. I will even wear two warm hats if I have to.

Old Hiker
02-28-2011, 14:35
We always tell our Scouts that if your feet are cold, to put a hat on. You lose a LOT of heat through your head and this causes your body to shut down the peripheral edges (hands, feet, arms, legs) to keep your core warm.

I put on shin high thick sox at night, as well, just to make sure!

Snowleopard
02-28-2011, 14:37
Even in cold weather, you will sweat some - after all, you're carrying a heavy backpack and hiking uphill a lot. Wicking shirts are great and a must-have but at the end of the day's hike if you're wet or even damp from sweat, take off the sweaty shirt and put on a dry shirt and a hat.
Layers: Are you getting all sweaty going uphill? Even in below 0F, if it's not windy it's easy to overheat. You have to learn to adjust your speed/effort and the layers you're wearing so that you don't get wet from sweat. That is, once you're warm, slow your hiking pace to the point where you don't overheat or remove a layer. This takes practice. The colder it is the more important this skill becomes. It's real easy to wear too much and get all sweaty, then you're wearing wet clothes and you'll get cold.
A good combination is wicking base layer, fleece jacket, and windbreaker. Your pants should be reasonably windproof. Don't wear cotton in the cold. Synthetics and wool are good. As you approach an open mountain or ridge top, add a layer; if it's really cold up there put your down jacket on just before you move up into the wind.

LIhikers
02-28-2011, 22:49
How about insulated winter boots to keep your feet warm.
I have a pair of Sorel Caribou boots and my feet were warm at -25F below zero. Of course I kept the rest of me warm with mulitple layers of everything.

LIhikers
02-28-2011, 22:53
We always tell our Scouts that if your feet are cold, to put a hat on. You lose a LOT of heat through your head and this causes your body to shut down the peripheral edges (hands, feet, arms, legs) to keep your core warm.

To make this method even more effective keep your neck warm.
The blood that carries all that heat to your head passes through your neck first.

fredmugs
03-01-2011, 15:30
I hate being cold as well. I hate hiking in merino wool socks but I bring a pair to keep my feet warm at night. I also found out last Oct in the Whites that filling a Nalgene full of boiling water and placing it in your bag just as you go to sleep works wonders.

swjohnsey
03-01-2011, 15:56
Keep an eye on the weather now along the trail, 29 - 46 at Mt Rogers with rain.

BOATS
03-02-2011, 10:55
Very good advice from all for sure. Know that you will be wet and cold at times. Stay away from cotton (although I do were cotton). I wear "Body Armour", a Polartech Fleece and "Frog Toggs" for cold, wind and rain. All dry very fast. They breath well and are light... compact as
well. A 100% wool watch cap is best.

Plyprop sock liners with a 60/40 Bend poly/wool sock... a wear pair and a dry sleeping pair.

Plyprop long underwear for sleeping.

You said you were a lean person....A pound of bacon when you get a chance goes a long way. If vegan, fatty nuts are great. Aerobic you burn carbs fist then fats. If you push it too hard over an exteded period of time , your body goes anaerobic burning ATP fist then muscel tissue wilst losing vital body heat.

I am into moutaineering/ back coutry sking and wear heavy boots not made for long walks but warm and dry with gaitors. I made this mistake on the Georgia AT. When you stop for a break, take the time and shed layers if sweating, remove you shoes and socks to dry out.

IMO

Boats

Just Jack
03-02-2011, 12:22
The start of your hiking day is a critical time. You crawl out of a nice warm sleeping bag to be greeted by a very cold morning. So you put on all the clothes you have, put your gear in the pack, and start walking. Trust me on this--30 minutes later you will be soaking wet. Better to start your day "underdressed" and "chilly" --then walk yourself warm the first mile. Takes a good understanding of your "layers" --so practice! Good luck with your hike.

George
03-02-2011, 12:29
put on some weight (if you can not do this before hiking, the chance of success is lowered) next winter start spending hours than days than a week outdoors in the winter without going inside, your body will adjust, eat a lot of fat during cold weather(the long slow burn to keep warm)