PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Sleepers and Shelters.

zenribbits
12-22-2004, 03:41
I was browsing the recent poll on what direction people sleep in shelters and once again mice were mentioned as a factor for how people sleep. The question I have is why don’t shelters have anchors for hammock sleepers? I mean, if mice are such a problem, and they only sleep so many people, why don’t they put anchors on the back corners to accommodate the hammock community and to save people from a majority of the mice issues? I guess I am bewildered because of the amount of effort people put into designing the privy’s and such. Any thoughts or anyone know of any shelters that do have anchors in the sides?

Zen

Cehoffpauir
12-22-2004, 04:25
In some shelters I was able to hang my hammock, but each time the shelter was empty or I was with just one or two others who didn't mind. But consider these two points:

Hammock camping is a fairly new mode.
Hammocks take up more space than bodies. 6 people couldn't sleep in 6 hammocks in one shelter all at once.

It would be great though. :)

MedicineMan
12-22-2004, 05:00
hammocks present a lot of stress to a shelter, stress they were not designed to withstand....4 hammockers could pull a wall out, then the people sleeping inside would really be pissed....

cook dinner at the shelter, socialize, then move on down the trail and then dissapear either right or left into your own world...no mice, no bears attracted to you (they're headed for the smells of the shelter), no early riser banging pots while you're still sleeping...i could go on

maybe in the future with efforts of sgt.rock,hammockhanger,ed speer, and many many others; the ATC might allow 'hitching posts' for hammockers where 5 or 6 hammockers could hitch off one substantial pole...a pinwheel of suspended hikers!

Lumberjack
12-22-2004, 05:39
They could also consider planting native trees about 13 feet apart near by.....

hammocks present a lot of stress to a shelter, stress they were not designed to withstand....4 hammockers could pull a wall out, then the people sleeping inside would really be pissed....

maybe in the future with efforts of sgt.rock,hammockhanger,ed speer, and many many others; the ATC might allow 'hitching posts' for hammockers where 5 or 6 hammockers could hitch off one substantial pole...a pinwheel of suspended hikers!

SGT Rock
12-22-2004, 10:24
I haven't found a shelter yet where there isn't a couple of trees close enough to the shelter to use the convinence of a sheltr for cooking and such, but use the isolation and comfort of the hammock to get away from the drawbacks of a shelter. I think setting up the standard camping hammock in a shelter except in certain cases is probably a unmannerly thing to do to others sinc it takes up space and no one wants to be under a hikers butt seperated by a few microns of nylon.

The pinwheel idea seems cool, but imagine if one of the hikers from the central post isn'ta very still person, it could be a nightmare.

Crash
12-22-2004, 10:24
They could also consider planting native trees about 13 feet apart near by.....
REPLANT THE TREES THEY CHOPPED DOWN FOR THE TENTS!

zenribbits
12-22-2004, 13:32
Thanks all!

titanium_hiker
12-24-2004, 00:03
REPLANT THE TREES THEY CHOPPED DOWN FOR THE TENTS! lol.
Looks like there are a lot of trees anyway... why do you need to sleep in a shelter?

Crash
12-24-2004, 03:25
lol.
Looks like there are a lot of trees anyway... why do you need to sleep in a shelter?
'cause everyone don't have a hammock yet. and that's a damn shame!