PDA

View Full Version : Moab Low Cut Ventilators? I am in the mode of

nawlunz
12-28-2010, 18:24
cutting my weight bigtime for my summer JMT hike. In addition to pack and other equipment, I am finally going to "take the leap" and ditch my boots. I am ready to accept that the ankle support for boots may be over-rated, and based on my experience hiking in the past and as a runner, I do feel my ankles are strong enough at this time. I was thinking of purchasing the Moab low cut ventilators, but seems some of the reviews are very positive, while others cite durability issues and lack of support of the mid-sole. I plan to be out on the JMT about three weeks, so I want something to hold up...

Anybody with experience with these boots and such trail conditions?

Dogwood
12-28-2010, 18:52
Strengthened ankles and leg muscles, no existing medical conditions(joints, back, feet, etc), experienced backpacker/hiker/walker, hiking established mostly wide maintained trail thread, low pack wt, and having a low cut hiking shoe that fits and adequately supports your type of feet are ALL necessary ingredients, IMO, to going to a low cut or UL trail runner. Sounds like you are ready!

If the Merrel Moab Ventilators fit and support you feet(adding an orthotic might help!), I can't see any reason why they wouldn't hold up or serve you well on a JMT thru-hike of less than 290 miles.

The Moab Ventilators do come in low cut and mid cut versions.

I used the Moab Ventilator low cuts for about 400 miles of the Hayduke Trail. They were fine for me with after market Sole orthotics which have a flexy arch support.

Cabin Fever
12-28-2010, 18:55
I had some and loved them, but four years of hiking and then mowing the grass in them spelled the end. For the JMT, I would recommend using these and having some gaiters for any high elevation snow or walking in wet areas. A friend of mine hiked the JMT this year and he did it in Salomon trail running shoes so these are definitely OK.

nawlunz
12-28-2010, 19:01
Strengthened ankles and leg muscles, no existing medical conditions(joints, back, feet, etc), experienced backpacker/hiker/walker, hiking established mostly wide maintained trail thread, low pack wt, and having a low cut hiking shoe that fits and adequately supports your type of feet are ALL necessary ingredients, IMO, to going to a low cut or UL trail runner. Sounds like you are ready!

If the Merrel Moab Ventilators fit and support you feet(adding an orthotic might help!), I can't see any reason why they wouldn't hold up or serve you well on a JMT thru-hike of less than 290 miles.

The Moab Ventilators do come in low cut and mid cut versions.

I used the Moab Ventilator low cuts for about 400 miles of the Hayduke Trail. They were fine for me with after market Sole orthotics which have a flexy arch support.

I think I was actually thinking of the mid-cut version.....but, they do look like a very good shoe. I like the fact they also come in wide.

JaxHiker
01-01-2011, 18:19
None of the Merrel styles fit me well. I take a few steps and I'm done. I spent today replacing my North Face shoes and ended up with Keen Targhee II shoes to match my boots. I just love the footbed. Nothing else compares for me. I almost ended up with another Keen model but the Targhee II rocks!

Actually right now I'm wearing a Columbia on the left foot and a Targhee on the right. I bought the Columbia's yesterday but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them back.

Dogwood
01-01-2011, 19:08
Nawlunz, sounds like?, from what I'm hearing from you on this thread, as well as on other threads, you could go with the low cut Moab Ventilators for the JMT for the time of yr you are hiking the JMT. But, if you feel all you are ready for at this time is going to the mid-cut Moab Ventilators from the heavier true boot than do it.

nawlunz
01-01-2011, 23:15
Nawlunz, sounds like?, from what I'm hearing from you on this thread, as well as on other threads, you could go with the low cut Moab Ventilators for the JMT for the time of yr you are hiking the JMT. But, if you feel all you are ready for at this time is going to the mid-cut Moab Ventilators from the heavier true boot than do it.

is there that much of a difference between the low-cut vs mid-cut as far as any support or other difference? Again, this whole concept is new to me, as I have generally had heavier packs and have also worn boots for years.

THANKS

Odd Man Out
01-01-2011, 23:46
I have had a pair for Moab Ventilators (low cut) for several years and really love them. Tood them for some weekend backpacking in MI and day hikes out west (GCNP, ZNP, BCNP), and east (MA, PA). They are getting a bit long in the tooth and have been shopping for a replacement. Have tried on many other brands, models, but none fit me as well.

I did notice, however, that the Gore Tex version of the Moab Ventilators were not as comfortable on me. They were too flexible behind the toes, so when I took a step, the creased. Don't know if that was a defective shoe or true of all. But when I compared the two display models on the shelf at the shoe store, I noticed the same thing. If I held the shoe with one hand on the toes and the other hand on the heel, and pushed my hands together, the Gore Tex ventilators bent at a 90 degree angle right behind the toes. But when I did this test with the the non-waterproof version the sole was stiffer and bent more evenly along the length of the shoe. So, when comparing shoes and advice, be aware that the two version of this shoe may be somewhat different.

Dogwood
01-02-2011, 01:08
I have only used two pair of the low cuts. I was fine with them with my wide feet(now very wide forefoot), high arch, and neutral pronation and by the addition of after market Sole Orthotics to add to arch support, good heel cup, and under foot cushioning, which I appreciate, especially on sharp rocky scree and trail which you will encounter on the JMT - probably not the same as you are used to in Louisiana. I used my two pair in red rock canyons of southern Utah. I probably could have used something even more breathable without all the leather that were lighter in wt though for that those sections of the Hayduke Trail. I still have a brand new size 13 med width laying around so let me know if you take that size. Maybe, I can help you. I now take size 14 and my feet have grown much wider.

After reviewing the Merrel Moab Non WP(non GTX versions) Ventilators site it seems the last, footbed, and materials are the same for both the mid and low cuts. It's my best assumption the mids are going to offer a bit more ankle support(roll over) and ankle bone protection than the low cuts, but of course feel different because of the slightly different(higher cut) design and heavier wt of a mid cut shoe. Here at WB it seems most are UL trailrunner crazy so most would probably reccommend the low cuts.

I think you might best be served coming to your own conclusion if you tried the low cuts in the store with your weighted JMT geared up pack on, with after market orthotics installed(if you will do that), with the socks you will be wearing on the JMT, and giving them a work out on an incline or by simply walking around the store and testing them out. If you aren't ready for the low cuts try the same thing with the mids. Don't be ashamed to do this; it's your feet, your body, your hike, and your money!

nawlunz
01-02-2011, 13:35
I have only used two pair of the low cuts. I was fine with them with my wide feet(now very wide forefoot), high arch, and neutral pronation and by the addition of after market Sole Orthotics to add to arch support, good heel cup, and under foot cushioning, which I appreciate, especially on sharp rocky scree and trail which you will encounter on the JMT - probably not the same as you are used to in Louisiana. I used my two pair in red rock canyons of southern Utah. I probably could have used something even more breathable without all the leather that were lighter in wt though for that those sections of the Hayduke Trail. I still have a brand new size 13 med width laying around so let me know if you take that size. Maybe, I can help you. I now take size 14 and my feet have grown much wider.

After reviewing the Merrel Moab Non WP(non GTX versions) Ventilators site it seems the last, footbed, and materials are the same for both the mid and low cuts. It's my best assumption the mids are going to offer a bit more ankle support(roll over) and ankle bone protection than the low cuts, but of course feel different because of the slightly different(higher cut) design and heavier wt of a mid cut shoe. Here at WB it seems most are UL trailrunner crazy so most would probably reccommend the low cuts.

I think you might best be served coming to your own conclusion if you tried the low cuts in the store with your weighted JMT geared up pack on, with after market orthotics installed(if you will do that), with the socks you will be wearing on the JMT, and giving them a work out on an incline or by simply walking around the store and testing them out. If you aren't ready for the low cuts try the same thing with the mids. Don't be ashamed to do this; it's your feet, your body, your hike, and your money!

but take an 11.5 or 12. I will take your advice on the "in store" check...I also have custom orthotics because of problems encountered running long ago. So, I am looking forward to checking out this footwear!

nawlunz
01-02-2011, 13:37

on the JMT? I know the trail is well marked, but at the higher passes (depending on season), may have significant snow. Do you recommend the water-resistant or water-proof...TO me, I am reading that the water-resistant may be more breathable, correct? Water-resistant are considered the ones without Gore-tex, correct?

Dogwood
01-02-2011, 21:31
on the JMT? I know the trail is well marked, but at the higher passes (depending on season), may have significant snow. Do you recommend the water-resistant or water-proof...TO me, I am reading that the water-resistant may be more breathable, correct? Water-resistant are considered the ones without Gore-tex, correct?

Snow conditions on the JMT are going to depend on that yr's snowfall, how fast it's melting, and exactly when in summer you will be hiking it. By early July/POSSIBLY VERY LATE June most of the trail tread at passes will be cleared of snow or the tread will be obvious but with patchy snow/ice. Most likely will be some melt water runoff though. And, there will be a few fords. Some possibly knee deep, running high and fast, and cold.

Yeah, in general, non WP shoes dry faster and are more breathable than WP shoes, which typically have a WP membrane, like Gore-Tex. I find how fast non WP shoes dry depends on weather, the way in which I use my shoes in conjunction with the other gear I may have on my feet, and the materials and consruction of the non-WP shoes.

BTW, with the Merrel Moab Ventilators I would think of them as either being available in non-WP or WP versions. The WP ones being the Merrell Moab Ventilators GTX's. I really don't think of the non-WP ones as water resistant.

sbhikes
01-02-2011, 22:45
I hiked a portion of the JMT in August wearing Chacos. I used to wear Merrells all the time. You'll probably really like them. The JMT is not a difficult trail and Merrells would be more than adequate to hike the trail.