PDA

View Full Version : help with shakedowns in the area

Megapixel
12-28-2010, 19:23
Hi,

we are located in Altamonte Springs,FL and are looking for a few good shakedowns in the Ocala Nat'l. Forest area. We've worn out Wekiva Springs State Park.
We've looked at the website of Ocala Ntl. Forest and it hasn't helped much; i'm hoping someone out there can suggest a few shakedowns, preferably, loops, although not necessary.

Work schedule will allow two types of hike depending on the week:

arriving near a camp with maybe an hour to two of hiking top max, then having all day the next day to hike. So maybe a mile to three tops the first day, and then 8+ the next.

also arriving at camp early morning with two full days of hiking with an overnight in between.

thanks much for your sharing of knowledge!

Great White
01-02-2011, 18:18
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { } I am not familiar enough with the forest to give you specifics on hike you are trying to plan. However, have you considered other locations?

How about the Hal Scott Regional Preserve and Park, maintained by the St. Johns River Water Management District. From the entrance there is roughly a 2 mile walk into a campsite with a picnic table and fire ring. Beyond that there is another, more primitive, site with only a fire ring. There is a total of three different loops with distances between 6.3 miles and 4.3 miles. That should be plenty for a shake down hike like the one you are trying to plan.

Here is the link to the description: http://floridaswater.com/recreationguide/halscott/index.html

The Trail Guide link, on the above page, will provide an excellent map of the preserve.

Megapixel
01-02-2011, 18:20
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { } I am not familiar enough with the forest to give you specifics on hike you are trying to plan. However, have you considered other locations?

How about the Hal Scott Regional Preserve and Park, maintained by the St. Johns River Water Management District. From the entrance there is roughly a 2 mile walk into a campsite with a picnic table and fire ring. Beyond that there is another, more primitive, site with only a fire ring. There is a total of three different loops with distances between 6.3 miles and 4.3 miles. That should be plenty for a shake down hike like the one you are trying to plan.

Here is the link to the description: http://floridaswater.com/recreationguide/halscott/index.html

The Trail Guide link, on the above page, will provide an excellent map of the preserve.

thanks great white ! i'll check it out.

bus
01-05-2011, 10:12
A good over nighter is right by you. The Econ State forest. Part of the FT goes through there. You can camp by the river.

http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/little_big_econ.html

soul patch
01-05-2011, 12:25
i second the Econ Forest Trail. easy to get too. camping on the river. perfect time of year for that area. low water and few mosquitos. Its my pick for a shakedown tour.

as far as Ocala, look at trail system around St Francis, its near 42/44 west of St Johns River. not that far from Altamonte.

Megapixel
01-16-2011, 23:48
Hey Bus and Soul Patch, Econ turned out to be nice, and only about 30 minutes from me. We day hiked 6 miles of it or so today and really enjoyed it; ran into more mountain bikers than i would've liked on the FLA. Trail section of the hike that is supposed to be foot travel only, but overall a very enjoyable and scenic hike along the river.

Thanks for the heads up.

I"ll be trying the other suggestion in the coming weeks, and may return to econ for an overnight.

bus
01-17-2011, 13:36
Next time camp...by the river. There are a few cool spots near that foot bridge