PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my hike?

trailhopeful
12-29-2010, 01:41
I'm a college student and this upcoming summer I want to hike about 2 1/2 months worth of the Appalachian trail, from the end of May, early June to early August. I'm not really sure how far I'll get in that length of time or where exactly I should start out. I'm a little out of shape right now (I'm working on it!) so I don't want to start at Katahdin or anywhere extremely difficult and be discouraged early on. Obviously its going to be hot in June/July so that's a factor too. Where do you guys suggest I start?

This is my first time hiking the Appalachian and I'd like to see some really awesome sights. I also wanted to know which part of the trail you thought was the most scenic?

THANKS! :D

hobbs
12-29-2010, 02:05
So you dont know where you want to start? most start NoBo and head to katahdin. iam going NOBO this spring. have you checked out the ATC's website as well for info? have you ordered a guide? These are just a few questions to start you off. Also are you going to buy maps and it is exspensive. Do you have gear? But it can be done you have time to plan.

trailhopeful
12-29-2010, 02:43
I don't know if I want to start NOBO because of the heat down there in the middle of summer. :sun I think it might be better to start somewhere in the middle of the trail, maybe Harpers ferry? Somewhere between Pennsylvania and NY? I've checked out the website, but haven't ordered any guides or a map yet, I'm just trying to get a rough idea at this point.

I also want to avoid crowds so thats another negative for going NOBO.

hobbs
12-29-2010, 04:07
What state are you in Now if you dont mind me asking? Because the east coastt becomes Humid and that worst than a dry heat! last year it was 93 with humidity. But regardless. yeah that is a good idea for you. Also have a bailout plan if you need to leave. But yes it can totally be done you have plenty of time. Also call the ATC and speak with someone as well this helps also. if you have some question about people who have done what your planning. yeeah you can totally do just sections anywhere. Thats also a great option for you.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 09:10
What's your transportation situation? If you have a car you could skip around and do one to two week sections instead of one continuous hike. Maybe GSMNP area in late May, skip to Grayson Highlands area in early June, then to Roan, then to SNP, then on to New England in early July. Depends a lot on transportation, finances, etc. It would take additional logistics with hitching and shuttling (hitch or shuttle to starting point, hike towards car is usually the best) but might be a way to see / hike different sections at nice times of the year and avoid the worst of the mid-summer heat issues in the south and mid-atlantic and the mud and flies in New England.

trailhopeful
12-30-2010, 13:30
I kind of wanted to do it in one long stretch...

Helios
12-30-2010, 13:49
1. Hop on in Damascus, VA. The end of May you'll catch a few thru hikers and have a few folks to hike along with. Head North as far as your pace, enjoyment, and time allow.

2. Start at Harpers Ferry, WV. Easy to get to via train. You will also be amonst that years thru hikers. It's also fairly easy to get back to via bus to a train, and train back to HF. The terrain early on is easy, and the resupply points are close making logistics fairly simple.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:44
I'd start at the Mass / VT (or Mass /CT) border and head north. By the time you reach NH and ME where the tough but awesome scenery is, you'll be in shape.

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2010, 15:36
The only problem with starting North at Harpers Ferry is that with all due respect to these places, this isn't the most exciting part of the Trail by any means. On the other hand, it's pretty easy terrain and won't be that hot in May.

I'm a bit biased, because I really enjoy the Southern part of the Trail, and NC/Tennessee/VA are spectacular in the springtime. You want 2 great months? I'd start in Damascus VA and walk North. The weather will be great and you'll have fine company.

(Even tho I'm from up that way, I'd save the North for another time, as August and September are the best months to be hiking in Northern New England).

Good luck!

Yahtzee
12-30-2010, 16:08
I would start further south. Hiking in New England would be ideal, but I am afraid the bugs would come to dominate your hike. May/June in Mass, VT and northward would be very buggy. I'd consider starting at Clingman's Dome in the middle of the Smokies and head north. The walk out of the Park from Clingman's is spectacular. And fairly easy. After that you would get to Hot Springs for some reloading and rejiggering your gear. Northern TN is beautiful. Then you could either finish in Damascus or go another 75 or so into SW Virginia, which is also spectacular.

So I'd consider Clingman's to a bit north of Damascus.

You will hit hikers. I started at Springer on May 9th and there were plenty of people out there. Good Luck.