PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Trail Trail resupply points???

mcskinney
12-29-2010, 02:31
Need advice from folks who have done it and therefore know best.

What towns are best for resupply?

Looking over my topos and guide book and reading Pmags End to End guide I'm thinking of using the following:

Breckenridge
Leadville
Salida
Creede
Silverton

It also looks like each of those towns has a hostel with the exception of Creede. Anyone know of good lodging in Creede? I've never been through there.

Anyway, from those of you who have done it, are these preferable towns?

Thanks!:-?:-?:-?

wandering_bob
12-29-2010, 03:27
The best reference is PMags "CT End to End Guide" available free online at http:www/pmags.com. Lists all the possible resupply ponits, distances from trails, etc.

That said, I resupplied easily in Breckenridge. Excellent outfitter and full service, easy to walk around town. Free shuttle bus to and from CT trailhead.

My research last year found these outfitters along the CT:

Breckenridge: Mountain Outfitters 970-453-2201
Leadville: Sawatch Backcountry 719-486-2271

Buena Vista: Trailhead Sports 719-395-8002
Salida: Salida Mountain Sports 719-539-4400 Creede: San Juan Sports 719-658-2482Lake City: Sportsman Outdoor & Fly Shop 970-944-2526

Silverton: Outdoor World 970-387-5628
Durango Backcountry Experience 970-247-5830

During July and most of August, there is a resident trail angel at Lujan Pass (2 miles north of CO-114, the end of segment 17) who will hold resupply parcels. This is 48 miles south of Salida and allows you to skip the long, hard hitch to and from Creede. Search for his posts on the CT Forum at Trailforums.com.

wandering_bob
12-29-2010, 03:29
Yuo can also resupply in Twin Lakes at the General Store/PO. THey hold resupply packages.

fiddlehead
12-29-2010, 04:14
We got drunk in the bar in Creede and some cool people invited us home.
That was fun.

Land_Shark
12-29-2010, 07:05
Land shark on the move. The ct is not at all like the at. There is not the level of commerlization as found on the at. Most will not stop to give a lift Colo. Is not hich friendly. But Breck. Has free bus shuttle just stand at the bus stop. Salida is just a KICK ASS town will eventually move there and start hostle to service this trail it needs angles. Twin Lakes is a must MT Massive is a must see. The elevation will make you a man of steal good luck

Elodie
12-29-2010, 16:28
I have done it last summer :

-Jefferson : easy hitch on US-285 at Kenosha Pass especially on week-end; just to have a lunch and buy some snacks

-Breck : day off

-Leadville : lunch and resupply at Safeway

-Twin Lakes : very poor grocery but I had sent a box, nice and quite cheap hotel

-Buena Vista : day off

-Salida : afternoon and night in hostel for resupply

-Creede : day off - just after San Luis Peak you can go dow to a 4w road where a woman from Creede pick you up for 10 USD, way back included. Night at snowshoe lodge, friendly but don't remember the price

-Silverton : day off

Elodie
www.elodie.stephane.voyages.seemee.fr (http://www.elodie.stephane.voyages.seemee.fr)

ARambler
12-29-2010, 18:17
I have done it last summer :

-Jefferson : easy hitch on US-285 at Kenosha Pass especially on week-end; just to have a lunch and buy some snacks

-Breck : day off

-Leadville : lunch and resupply at Safeway

-Twin Lakes : very poor grocery but I had sent a box, nice and quite cheap hotel

-Buena Vista : day off

-Salida : afternoon and night in hostel for resupply

-Creede : day off - just after San Luis Peak you can go dow to a 4w road where a woman from Creede pick you up for 10 USD, way back included. Night at snowshoe lodge, friendly but don't remember the price

-Silverton : day off

Elodie
www.elodie.stephane.voyages.seemee.fr (http://www.elodie.stephane.voyages.seemee.fr)

Do you get to Silverton by hitching or side trail?

Twin Lakes store was up for sale. So selection may be better or worse and who knows about weekend packages. It is a bit out of the way.

The Breckenridge bus also goes (when it is coming from Breckenridge) to Frisco. Frisco is more convenient from Copper Mt. So, Frisco might be more flexible.
Rambler

Bearpaw
12-29-2010, 18:36
The Copper Mountain/Frisco/Breckenridge is excellent. Use it. You could even do a slackpack from Breck over the next mountain ridge to Copper Mountain and take the bus back.

Twin Lakes is a decent maildrop. Don't expect to resupply there otherwise unless you only hike on candy bars. It is an easy, relatively flat 1.? mile walk each way. Don't expect a hitch, but if you stick a thumb out while walking, you may get lucky.

The Leadville Hostel was a fantastic place in a great little town.

Salida was excellent. The Circle R Motel was about $50 bucks a night in 2006, hikers getting $10 off the normal rate. It was a very hiker friendly place, with an easy walk of less than a mile to the outfitter and shops downtown and many dining choices within a quarter mile.

Take the walk down the forest service road to get into Creede. I was the guy in Mags' guide who got passed by 100s of cars on Rt149 on the Fourth of July. No one will stop for you there. Just walk down. It's faster.

Silverton is easy to get into and out of. You could even "silver blaze" your way into town on the Durango Silverton Railroad about 3 miles before you hit the road. It would save you the 1000+ foot climb up all the rock steps.

Enjoy the walk. It was phenomenal.

Highway Man
12-29-2010, 19:27
I'm giving my shot on the resupply. I don't know which town is the best for resupply. They vary from one to the others in function, style, fun..., but are always a necessary part of the "food chain":-? I mostly referenced Mags' CT guide with a little modification, and didn't mail myself anything to the trail. The following town stops are what I made last summer.

Jefferson, exit at Kenosha Pass:
Hitch: easy, trail and highway cross each other.
Food: I didn't go as I got some leftover from other hikers who finished at Kenosha Pass!
Comm: necessary, usually takes four days to get there from northern terminus if you don't want carry too much food.

Breckenridge, exit at Rt.9:
Hitch: very easy, trail and highway cross each other. And free bus 30 min. interval to town at rush hours!
Food: a great supper market
Comm: must stop. And a great hostel

Leadville, exit at FS 104:
Hitch: not much traffic at the trail head or county road. I walked nearly 20 min. during 100 mile Mt. biking before getting a hitch. Better during weekends.

Salida, exit at Rt. 50:
Hitch: a lot of traffic, not so easy. I waited 1 hour at roadside with burnt neck when two vehicles stopped for me!

Creede, exit at Rt. 149:
Hitch: a little traffic, not so easy, maybe very difficult. But I was luck to have a hitch in less than 10 min.
Food: a fairly good market place
Comm: I'd rather go to Lake City next time if applicable. The lodging and transportation back to the trail are just "too" expensive unless you have multiple person to share the cost.

Silverton, exit at Molas Pass:
Hitch: quite traffic, maybe easy. I got a one in less than 10 min.
Food: a fairly good market place

Hole-In-The-Hat
12-30-2010, 16:45
I took a day off in Lake City in 2007. There's not a lot of traffic on the road down from Spring Creek Pass, but before I had time to worry about that I met meet a couple in the parking lot at the pass that offered a ride.

Lake City is a neat town with grocery and lodging options -- I'd recommend it over Creede.

Dogwood
12-30-2010, 18:30
Most of it has been covered but I'll add abit. I have yet to hike the CDT and CT south of Leadville(they are on the spring and early summer 2011 hiking agenda) so can't speak from personal experience south of there.

PMags CT site is the most comprehensive to the pt thru-hikers guide for the CT.
Here are the places I visited or that I know about:

Bailey - no grocery store, marginal resupply at gas station, cheap rooms at some motels, two restaurants(Chinese/Thai, the American diner is cheap ands serves up decent sized portions!, take a meal back to the trail to get you to Jefferson), PO, laundromat, small park along river(ask kindly at the liquor store and they may let you stay in the park in a gazebo along the river), Bailey is on a busy paved road that is used to get from Denver to Breckinridge(also goes by Jefferson), I would not go into Bailey unless I got a ride at the TH(longish walk on gravel rd!), have not taken the 9 mile cut-off trail described by Mags

Jefferson - I'll ditto Elodie's comments, "easy hitch on US-285 at Kenosha Pass especially on week-end; just to have a lunch and buy some snacks." At the Pass there is a campground entrance, some historical exhibits that folks stop to look at, a parking area frequented by mountain bikers as a put in spot for the CT, a decent view, and some folks use this rd to get into Breck, all of which make for an easy hitch to/from Jefferson. Limited but possible resupply at the general store(more possibilities than the gas station in Bailey, some good bakery products, a deli and cafe(with some unusual hrs!, b-fast and lunch!). PO in store. A diner across the street if the general store cafe is closed. Nice views up/down the valley.

Breck/Frisco/Silverthorne - full service towns connected by free bus system! Fireside Inn in Breck is top shelf, inexpensive, and a nice "zero" wandering around Breck or going into adjacent towns(Beware of the cost of gear at some of the outfitters in Breck!), soup and sandwich shop next to large grocery store in Breck has GREAT healthy handmade soups at affordable prices, Healthfood store in Silverthorne, also Hostel in Silverthorne, I did the slackpack Bearpaw mentioned by staying at the Fireside Inn 1 night, took the bus over to Copper Mnt and slackpacked back to Breck and then took the buses back to Copper Mnt the following day to continue south to Tennessee Pass, IMO, the CT gets more strenuous south of Breck/Copper Mnt, although I hiked into Breck FROM the north on the CDT over Grays/Torreys Peaks(adjacent 14 ers) if you were into bagging 14 ers you could hitch from Silverthorne to the Grays/Torreys Peak TH(lots of traffic especially on weekends) and get a hitch back to Siverthorne after doing the summits OR hike south on the CDT into Breck(that's a GREAT ridge hiking section on the CDT proper!, might add 2 - 2 1/2 days total to a CT thru-hike).

Twin Lakes - send package!, just some snacks, I did, helped me manage my pack wt while blue blazing up Mt Massive and Mt Elbert

Leadville- I didn't need to go here until I found out job required me to get off the trail(Glad I did!), GREAT hostel, good grocery store, I thought it not a hard hitch though it seems I have to work harder to get hitches in touristy ski resort areas, no matter where I am(east coast, mid west, west, southwest), than anywhere else!

Salida - hostel, grocery store, Monarch Campground(showers, SMALL campstore for snacks) and Monarch Lodge both hold packages for free even if you are not staying there if you don't wish to go into Salida

Creede - I will probably go into Lake City

Silverton - hostel(hiker friendly, owned by Sarong's(hiked the PCT and CDT)mother, GREAT place, hot tub, hiker friendly), decent market

Elodie
12-30-2010, 19:15
I get to Siverton by hitch from Molas Pass, easiest hitch of my life (less than 10 seconds !)
Twin lakes was on my way because then I hiked up to Hope Pass and Mount Belford, beautiful alternative route.

Elodie

wandering_bob
12-30-2010, 19:56
re: the recommended alternate route from San Luis Pass (elev 11,920) into Creede (elev 8840 feet);

Be aware that it is 9.5 miles (vs. 33 from Spring Creek Pass) and a drop of 3,100 feet.

I submit that if you resupplied at Lujan Pass, you could skip Creede altogether and push on to Silverton.

Dogwood
12-30-2010, 20:33
Wandering Bob, if the trail angel isn't available to hold resupply packages where else can you resupply at Lujan pass? Have you used this trail angel? Know his name?

Thanks

Elodie
12-31-2010, 06:43
Wandering Bob, if the trail angel isn't available to hold resupply packages where else can you resupply at Lujan pass? Have you used this trail angel? Know his name?

Thanks

Trail Angel's name is Apple. Last year, he send many posts on www.trailforums.com (http://www.trailforums.com) . I dit not count on him but he was a blessing !

There is no much traffic at Lujan Pass. so hitching could be difficult. It seems remote.

Elodie
12-31-2010, 06:50
re: the recommended alternate route from San Luis Pass (elev 11,920) into Creede (elev 8840 feet);

Be aware that it is 9.5 miles (vs. 33 from Spring Creek Pass) and a drop of 3,100 feet.

I submit that if you resupplied at Lujan Pass, you could skip Creede altogether and push on to Silverton.

Creede is a really nice city, small and quiet. You can arrange a pick up not far from San Luis pass as I said in a previous post.
First I plan to get to Creede from Spring creek Pass but because of the weather we decided at San Luis Pass to go down to Creede. We were lucky to meet that woman who was taking back to the trail others hikers !

wandering_bob
12-31-2010, 14:24
The Lujan Pass trail angel's name is Bill Apple. His presence is a year-to-year thing during July and most of August. In the past, he has had other trail angels with him, but this year he was alone. He held a resupply package for me this summer. Unfortunately, I didn't get that far and he returned it to me.

As noted earlier, he posts to the CT Forum at Trailforums.com, starting in the late Spring, if he's going to be there. Denver area trail angels who will offer trailhead transportation also post their availability at that forum.

The closest town to Lujan Pass is Gunnison, 40 miles away. Not really a viable hitching option, IMO.

Highway Man
12-31-2010, 16:05
The Lujan Pass trail angel's name is Bill Apple. His presence is a year-to-year thing during July and most of August. In the past, he has had other trail angels with him, but this year he was alone. He held a resupply package for me this summer. Unfortunately, I didn't get that far and he returned it to me.

As noted earlier, he posts to the CT Forum at Trailforums.com, starting in the late Spring, if he's going to be there. Denver area trail angels who will offer trailhead transportation also post their availability at that forum.

The closest town to Lujan Pass is Gunnison, 40 miles away. Not really a viable hitching option, IMO.
I think the trail angel's last name is Appel. I could see more than a dozen of vehicles in my sight when I walked through the area. Hitch may not be that hard, but to Gunnison is about 40 miles west.

I knew Apple would be angeling at Lujan Pass, when I checked the trailforum site last summer, and mistakenly assumed he stayed there till end of August as he indicated initially in his thread. I relied on that information to resupply at Gunnison as planned. 45 min. before leaving Simplelodge for the trail in Salida, I learned from a couple of CDT hikers who just passed Lujan Pass a week ago, that Apple had already left there around mid August due to few thru hikers. I then rushed to the supermarket again to get another three days of food supply. Apple is absolutely a fantastic guy. I have no complaint about him. A lesson learned for me is everything has to be 100% for sure, by constantly communicating with other hikers, and checking with service providers such hostels, motels, shuttles...

Mags
01-02-2011, 23:23
NEver,ever EVER count on a trail angel.

They are there out of generosity and can provide a wonderful service.

But, they have plans and lives of their own and may not always be there.

As I wrote in my little doc:

ALSO: A trail angel by the name of Apple has been known to camp out in this area with goodies and possible shuttles for hikers to Gunnison. BUT, trail angels do this out of generosity. I would not count on this as a normal service..but rather a nice bonus if available.

Towns don't move....people do. :)

Dogwood
01-03-2011, 03:47
Thanks all for the beta.

Cookerhiker
10-09-2011, 16:53
On our July 24-August 30 hike this year, we used 8 resupply points:

1. Buffalo Creek - maildrop to PO/General Store. Hitching to store was unsuccesful - had to walk the 3 miles. Got a ride back from a homeless guy living out of his car. Store was dingy and the clerk rather unresponsive to basic requests. Wouldn't go there again. The only reason we chose it was our desire to start out with light packs to acclimate.

2. Jeffersonville - maildrop to PO/General Store. Nice little store, nice people, got a ride to and back from a Trail Angel who happened by and wanted to "give back" after his own thruhike.

3. Breckenridge - maildrop to Fireside Inn hostel. Also bought supplies at the local grocery store (City Market). Stayed 2 nights, slackpacked the day after arrival to Copper Mountain using the free bus schedule. Owner gave me a free fuel canister.

4. Leadville - maildrop to Leadville hostel. Got a shuttle both ways from "Wild Bill," the hostel owner. One of the best if not the bes hostel I've ever stayed in.

5. Twin Lakes - maildrop to PO/General Store. Walked a mile to the store. Wasn't open yet but a local guy had a key and let us in to get our packages. Got a ride back from a vacationing family who were fascinated with our thruhike. The Dad said "it was an honor" to shuttle us! BTW, the store did sell fuel canisters for my Coleman Exponent Ultralight and similar types like the Pocket Rocket; didn't expect this.

6. Salida - maildrop to Simple Lodge & Hostel. Got a ride right to the door from a Trail Angel - a young woman we had met a few days earlier hiking up Mt. Yale. Salida was our first zero day - very nice town. Bought myself a new pair of trail shoes after my boots fell apart. Hostel owner shuttled us back to trail.

7. Creede - maildrop to Snowshoe Lodge. We really lucked out on transportation as Creede is a tough hitch. After walking the one-mile side trail, we walked another 2-3 miles down the dirt 4WD road where we hardly saw anyone. But a family from Texas drove up and offered to take us a few miles. After conversation in the car, they generously took us all the way to Creede and refused gas money. Trail Angels!

We decided to stay in Creede 2 nights and slackpack the next day so we obtained a shuttle from the guy who owns the outfitter all the way to the one-mile sidetrail and a return shuttle from a local woman from the the end of the next segment, over 30 road miles away on Rt. 149. She also drove us back the next morning to that point.

8. Silverton - maildrop to Silverton Hostel. Did a zero day. Got a ride with less than 5 minutes of hitching into town, got a shuttle for return.

Also, there was discussion about the Trail Angel at Lujan Pass. We met Mr. Appel on the trail several miles from his setup. He encouraged us to partake of his goodies which we did when we arrived there. Very generous. BTW, he also dispenses trail goodies to AT hikers in NC in the Spring.

trailnametba
03-01-2012, 23:41
So is there any comprehensive list of all the trail resupply points? Not looking for town names, want a bit more detail, specifically looking for points that I don’t have to hike into town but where friends can drive to meet me or where I can hitch from.
i.e. Segment 5: 14.4 mile point – Kenosha Pass – 4.5 miles to Jefferson
Any help, or additional resupply points like this one would be greatly appreciated.

Hole-In-The-Hat
03-01-2012, 23:56
TBA, Several resources are available. Yogi's Colorado Trail Handbook has just been released - it covers resupply, including maps of the towns, etc. Check it out here: www.pcthandbook.com (http://www.pcthandbook.com/)

Also there's Mags' write-up which you can get here: http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide

The official CT Guidebook is a good reference too. The start and end of each trail segment is accessible by road - though some of them require 4WD. Check it out here: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Official-CT-Guidebook-8th-Edition-GUIDE8.htm
(http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Official-CT-Guidebook-8th-Edition-GUIDE8.htm)

brian039
03-02-2012, 02:41
So is there any comprehensive list of all the trail resupply points? Not looking for town names, want a bit more detail, specifically looking for points that I don’t have to hike into town but where friends can drive to meet me or where I can hitch from.
i.e. Segment 5: 14.4 mile point – Kenosha Pass – 4.5 miles to Jefferson
Any help, or additional resupply points like this one would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, buy the databook: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Colorado-Trail-Databook-DATABOOK4.htm

You'll need it to hike the trail anyways. I'd give you the mileage info you're looking for but my databook was destroyed during the thru-hike. Cookerhikers post lists all the resupply points in great detail.

1) Skip Buffalo Creek as he suggests, bring enough dinners from Denver to get you to Breck/Frisco but buy snacks, lunches, and breakfasts from the store in Jefferson. Eat at the store in Jefferson, it's cheap and the staff is super-friendly.

2) Resupply in Frisco because it's cheaper than Breck. Slackpack over the 10-mile range to Copper Mt then catch the bus back to Breck if you want an easy day.

3) Good resupply in Leadville, buy enough stove fuel to get to Buena Vista or Salida because Twin Lakes may not have any.

4) Twin Lakes you need a mail-drop to get you to either Buena Vista or Salida. It takes a little longer for mail to get here so send it with time to spare. I sent myself a package from Breck and I had to wait a day for it to arrive here.

5) Buena Vista has good resupply but you could skip it, though I wouldn't. Easy to get in and out.

6) Salida has good resupply. You need a lot of food to get you to Creede.

7) Creede has good resupply. You can get into town via a 1.5 mile side trail and an 8 mile hitch on a dirt FS road. Or you can get there via Spring Creek Pass, this has been described as a hard hitch so I didn't try it and went into and out of Creede via the FS route without difficulty. Everyone I talked to in 2011 that hitched from Spring Creek Pass said it was easy and if I had it to do all over again that's what I would have done. It's 33 miles to Creede but it's a paved road in Colorado. A man or woman with a backpack on a paved road in CO with their thumb out will get a hitch. Lake City can also be hitched to at Spring Creek Pass but there isn't a grocery store there anymore.

8) Silverton has a good resupply

Most hitches took less than 10 minutes, some where instantaneous. Hardest one for me was leaving Salida but it only took 20-30 minutes. You're hitching from a 4-lane highway in front of a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Cookerhiker
03-02-2012, 20:27
The only thing I would add to Brian's post is if you stay in hostels in Leadville and Salida, the hostel owners offer shuttles. Salida is a good place to stay a night for several reasons: the hostel (Simple Lodge & Hostel) is cool, you have at least 90 miles before the next town (Creede) via San Luis Pass or 105 miles via Spring Creek Pass, the Salida restaurants are good. If you meet fellow CT hikers at the hostel, you can share the return shuttle costs.

Oh one other thing - if you access Creede via San Luis Pass, you can slackpack the next day to Spring Creek Pass. Worked well for us.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2013, 12:52
Bumping this thread because it contains a lot of good resupply info. for CT thruhikers.

Coffee
12-24-2013, 14:59
I found this old thread researching resupply issues. I've tentatively decided to add Jefferson to my resupply plan to lighten the load starting from Denver. Leaving Jefferson I would only need slightly less than two days of food to get into Breckenridge. From looking at the Jefferson Market website, it appears that there should be enough basic items to buy for that two day stretch. My plan is to get into Jefferson mid/late afternoon on a Saturday, eat at the diner across the street from the market (Hungry Moose Caboose), resupply, get back to the trail and hike a few more miles before camping. Hoping for easy hitch due to it being the weekend.

It seems like a waste to send a resupply box to Jefferson for less than two days worth of food. Can anyone who has been in Jefferson recently tell me whether the market there has really basic items like Knorr sides, oatmeal, etc? I wouldn't be too picky for just a couple of days resupply. Thanks!

Mags
12-24-2013, 15:14
They always have basic supplies for the car campers that drive by their store a fair amount in the summer. . I do not recall exactly what they had off the top my head, but recall the usual camping staples vs backpacking staples this past summer. Some of which can work for backpacking (bread, cheese, even hot dogs), some not so much, at least not easily (canned food)

If you aren't picky, can get 2-3 days of food.. IF it is during or just after a holiday weekend, this small store may be picked clean, though. :)

Coffee
12-24-2013, 15:18
If you aren't picky, can get 2-3 days of food.. IF it is during or just after a holiday weekend, this small store may be picked clean, though. :)

Thanks, that sounds good enough for under two days, won't be near a holiday weekend. I guess the fallback is to hitch further to Fairplay but probably won't be necessary.

Dogwood
12-24-2013, 16:27
WOW, someone that did a CT resupply search before asking the same question that's been repeatedly answered ad nauseam.

Sounds like a good plan RN. There's a decent LNT camping area at a small stream only a few miles towards Breck from Kenosha Pass. You should have little issue getting to the Jefferson store/USPO,/gas station/bathrooms/Hungry Moose and back to Kenosha Pass(KP). KP is a busy TH(mountain bikers, campground, etc). Many folks choose to get into Breck from Hwy 285(Kenosha Pass) by turning off in Fairplay on Hwy 9. The store has been well stocked all four times I've been there, perfect for quickly grabbing 2-3 days of trailfood, gnosh a bite, and get a quick ride back to the KP. Hiker friendly folks in Jefferson. Your fall back plan into Fairplay(large grocery store) is great IF for some odd reason the Jefferson store doesn't have what you want. Couple of fast food/convenience store options in Fairplay as well. Try to time your stops into both Jefferson and Fairplay should you go to either place for the middle of the day. They have some odd hrs and may close early.

Coffee
12-24-2013, 17:00
Thanks Dogwood. It is useful to have recent information since I know that services in small towns often change.

I now have no food carries in my plan longer than 4 1/2 days. The most my pack will ever weigh on the trip is just under 27 pounds, more typical weight in the very low 20s. A much cheaper way to lighten my load than buying gear!

Dogwood
12-24-2013, 17:18
AHH, I'm impressed! Someone who sought to lower pack weight by not having a knee jerk throw money at it approach. How refreshing!

Now, when you do replace current gear as it starts wearing out with new possibly lighter wt gear it has the potential to be that much more rewarding.

Coffee
12-24-2013, 17:21
AHH, I'm impressed! Someone who sought to lower pack weight by not having a knee jerk throw money at it approach. How refreshing!

I give you credit for that insight! (I changed my screen name from RamblingHiker to my current screen name btw - we corresponded before).

Dogwood
12-24-2013, 17:41
Thank you RN. I get it right occasionally. I offer up what I've learned as different options to those who it might help. Notice I was the one asking some of the same questions as you almost 3 yrs ago to the dayas i was finishing up a CDT hike and planning for a future CT hike.

Cookerhiker
12-27-2013, 21:31
They always have basic supplies for the car campers that drive by their store a fair amount in the summer. . I do not recall exactly what they had off the top my head, but recall the usual camping staples vs backpacking staples this past summer. Some of which can work for backpacking (bread, cheese, even hot dogs), some not so much, at least not easily (canned food)

You can also get a fresh sandwich made at the Jefferson store and take on the trail - that's what we did. We found the store staff to be very hiker-friendly.

WOW, someone that did a CT resupply search before asking the same question that's been repeatedly answered ad nauseam.

That was why I bumped this thread in April and also included a live link on one of RN-PCT2015's other threads because I remembered there was good info here.

handlebar
12-28-2013, 00:57
Hiked the Ct in '13 and would add these updates:

1. Recommend resupply at Twin Lakes either via package mailed to general store or by purchase food there. It's under new ownership and is very hiker friendly. They have yellow Heet and fuel for canister stoves which are often a required option when fire bans are in effect as this past summer. I tried to give owner $ for holding my package but he declined, so I ate lunch of food I bought there. Could have easily resupplied there.

A number of posters recommend resupply at Creede but I chose to hitch to Lake City both on my CDT and CT thru's. Ravens Rest at LC is great hostel run by former CDT thru hiker and the town is cool.

HeartFire
12-28-2013, 09:02
Lucky, the owner of Ravens Rest was talking about starting a daily shuttle to Spring Creek pass next year, so check with him to see if they are doing it. Lake City was a fabulous stop.

wandering_bob
12-28-2013, 12:45
He was talking about it for the 013 season too on the Trailforums.com CT Forum, but apparently did not get enough support from local businesses. He was trying to determine the best time for departure from Spring Creek Pass.

wandering_bob
12-28-2013, 12:55
http://trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=62220&Thread=1&roomID=13&entryID=145018 (http://trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=62220&Thread=1&roomID=13&entryID=145018)

Here is the URL for the referenced discussion:

Dogwood
12-28-2013, 16:41
To add to Handlebar's Twin Lakes(TL) data, TL now has the recently nicely renovated historic Twin lakes Inn(Hostel too) that has a bar(saloon) and restaurant w/ some excellent freshly prepared meals. It's nice for a splurge or to get a very good professionally prepared meal to supplement a resupply. The TL Inn may hold boxes as well. I spoke to the owner amidst the renovation who seemed very hiker friendly. Mag's well done and regularly updated CT End to Ender's Guide refelcts most of this info. Agree with "Gumby's" assessment of the food.

https://thetwinlakesinn.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

There's also a FS CG a short distance north(towards Denver) of TL on the Colorado Trail. And, going south(towards Durango) of TL on the CT a short distance you'll come to legal places to camp.

handlebar
12-28-2013, 19:07
.....And, going south(towards Durango) of TL on the CT a short distance you'll come to legal places to camp. Including a few places on the beach just a bit before the trail starts to climb at the junction with the CDT/western route of CT. Camped there on soft, sandy beach and took a dip in the lake.

Dogwood
12-28-2013, 19:22
Including a few places on the beach just a bit before the trail starts to climb at the junction with the CDT/western route of CT. Camped there on soft, sandy beach and took a dip in the lake.

You too? Wasn't sure if the camping on the beach was legal so hesitated to rec that.:) I cowboyed on the beach in howling wind light snow conditions. I loved it.

cdewsa4747
03-12-2014, 19:35
I don't see a lot of info about Mt Princeton Hot Springs here. I'm looking to resupply food at that spot for the long trek all the way to Silverton (180 miles). I can survive on 3-4 snickers bars (as an example) each day. Would I be able to stock up about 60 bars (or similar foods) at Mt Princeton?

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 23:59
I would NOT plan on buying enough trail food at PHS to do the 180 miles to Silverton. Maybe, you could squeeze 5 days of trail food from there on a buy as you go approach but IMHO that's maxing it out unless you are willing to do a heavy not UL trailfood resupply. They told me, after I asked NICELY, even though I wasn't a guest there, they would hold a resupply box at the front desk for a CT hiker. I would call them first confirming this. Good buffets with the possibility of taking some food to the trail ordered at the restaurant to supplement the bought at the, what amounts to a campstore, grub.

cdewsa4747
03-13-2014, 13:57
I would NOT plan on buying enough trail food at PHS to do the 180 miles to Silverton. Maybe, you could squeeze 5 days of trail food from there on a buy as you go approach but IMHO that's maxing it out unless you are willing to do a heavy not UL trailfood resupply. They told me, after I asked NICELY, even though I wasn't a guest there, they would hold a resupply box at the front desk for a CT hiker. I would call them first confirming this. Good buffets with the possibility of taking some food to the trail ordered at the restaurant to supplement the bought at the, what amounts to a campstore, grub.

Thanks for the reply, Dogwood. Can you give me a little more detailed of a description of what food and how much food was at that Mt Princeton general store when you went?

Ideally I would like to stay at the Mt Princeton resort for two nights. I'd pig out at the restaurant but stock up on trail food.

Coffee
03-13-2014, 15:26
Yogis guide indicates that Mt Princeton accepts mail drops via usps or ups, no charge.

lonehiker
03-13-2014, 16:33
If you are going to stay two nights at Mt Princeton resort, why don't you hitch into Buena Vista and re-supply there. Or, as mentioned earlier, do a maildrop direct to the resort.

Drybones
03-13-2014, 16:46
I went on line this morning to order the CT guide book, it was $12.95, shipping was $7.68. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $7.68 for something that will fit in my shirt pocket, guess I'm funny, I would have paid $16.00 for the guide and $4.63 to ship it.

cdewsa4747
03-13-2014, 16:59
Yogis guide indicates that Mt Princeton accepts mail drops via usps or ups, no charge.

If you are going to stay two nights at Mt Princeton resort, why don't you hitch into Buena Vista and re-supply there. Or, as mentioned earlier, do a maildrop direct to the resort.

I'm not much of a hitchin' guy or for mail drops. I just don't trust people and don't want to rely on them.

Maybe I should stop at a motel in Twin Lakes instead of Mt Princeton. It would be cheaper and there will be a larger food supply. Then it would be a lighter resupply needed when I pass Mt Princeton. Mag's website says Twin Lakes is 1-3 miles off the trail. Can someone give me a more detailed description of the walk to Twin Lakes off the normal CT route?

Dogwood
03-13-2014, 19:25
"I'm not much of a hitchin' guy or for mail drops. I just don't trust people and don't want to rely on them."

At some pt on a thru hike, and certainly in LIFE, we wind up having to rely on each other.

"Maybe I should stop at a motel in Twin Lakes instead of Mt Princeton. It would be cheaper and there will be a larger food supply."

I don't know about that! Cheaper perhaps(there's a FS camping area not far north of TL, there's also a STEEP short cut use trail between the CT and TL I prolly shouldn't even be mentioning) but not a larger food supply in TL! Most CTers and CDTers send a box to TL. I supplemented(not full resupply) twice at PHS both on a CDT SOBO and CT NOBO hikes as well as using TL for food resupplying. You are still foggy about your resupply logistics. Give it some more thought. You have other resupply options both n and s of PHS.

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

"Then it would be a lighter resupply needed when I pass Mt Princeton."

That's certainly a viable consideration and certainly so for someone like me - an ULer - which even if I wasn't an ULer I'd still want to do to break up my trail food wt hauls - particularly on the CT.

"Mag's website says Twin Lakes is 1-3 miles off the trail. Can someone give me a more detailed description of the walk to Twin Lakes off the normal CT route?"

It's an easy walk on a paved road w/ lake views or on trail next to the road w/ a possibility of getting a hitch. Stop by the dam site if its open. Kinda neat exhibits.

Dogwood
03-13-2014, 19:34
PHS store is like a glorified small campground store near the front entrance. PHS has a wealthier overall clientel though than most campgrounds and the stuff the store stocks and sells reflects some of this. It's not a hoity toity nose up in the air type atmosphere though. PHS has been very kind to me even though I never booked a room. MAYBE, PHS behavior towards me reflects my conscientiousness and respect for PHS?

StubbleJumper
03-13-2014, 20:01
I'm not much of a hitchin' guy or for mail drops. I just don't trust people and don't want to rely on them.

Maybe I should stop at a motel in Twin Lakes instead of Mt Princeton. It would be cheaper and there will be a larger food supply. Then it would be a lighter resupply needed when I pass Mt Princeton. Mag's website says Twin Lakes is 1-3 miles off the trail. Can someone give me a more detailed description of the walk to Twin Lakes off the normal CT route?

Stopping at Twin Lakes is a no-brainer. You can follow a spur trail to a gravel road down to the town, and it's like 1 mile off the trail. There's a little store that had some food when I was there in 2011, but it was mostly potato chips, chocolate bars, bread, and maybe a bit of mac and cheese. I understand that there are new owners so maybe the selection is better now. However, IMO your best bet is to send a mail-drop from Breckenridge to the store at Twin with 4 or 5 days of food which will be enough to get you to Buena or to Salida.

The store at Mt Princeton had chips, chocolate bars and perhaps a bit more in 2011, but IMO it really wasn't good for a full re-supply. Sending a re-supply box there would probably work quite well because it's right on the trail.

IMO, it is unrealistic to haul the 180 miles from Mt. Princeton to Silverton. If you hike 20 miles per day, that's 9 days; if you hike 15 miles per day, that's 12 days. In my experience, you need to plan for at least 2 pounds of food per day, so that means you'd be carrying 18 to 24 pounds of food. Personally, that's not my idea of fun. A stop in Buena, Salida, Gunnison, or Lake City would make for an easier hike.

handlebar
03-13-2014, 23:20
+1 on a resupply stop in both Salida and Lake City. The Simple Hostel in Salida and Ravens Rest Hostel in Lake City are great for a nero/zero and there's good resupply in both towns.

cdewsa4747
03-14-2014, 16:36
Thanks for the replies guys. It's helped me get a better understanding of what's on the route.

Without hitching or mail drops, it seems to make more sense to hike the trail in sections over different periods. I like the idea of doing two round trips from Frisco to Twin Lakes this summer. Load up with food in Frisco, then stay two nights at Twin Lakes Inn - resting, indulging at diners, and supplementing the initial food load by buying at the general store.