PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Runners?

Crash
12-29-2010, 13:10
Anyone here been a ridge runner? I've met two (one in MD. the other in NJ)
I am interested in doing it but I have questions.

How many hours a week, which days or did you set your own times and days?
I understand its about educating the public and monitoring the trail and campsites.
What else did you have to do? How many miles did you have to hike a day?

I especially want to hear from you if you were a ridge runner in Pennsylvania- PM me.

hobbs
12-29-2010, 13:13
Have you called harpers ferry and asked them? What their expectations are and what you really do and how much compensation? Just a thought. I haven't done it but it seems like thats your best bet.

Crash
12-29-2010, 13:20
I'm retired so the compensation doesn't matter. Getting a first hand account from a ridge runner on their experiences would be great.

HiKen2011
12-29-2010, 13:25
Many Sleeps is the ridge runner on Springer. He basically lives there from March thru April I think. Great guy!

perrito
12-29-2010, 14:11
Calmwater (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=10845)was a ridgerunner last season in PA for a portion from DWG south. Best to send him a message because I'm not sure how often he visits here.

Speer Carrier
12-29-2010, 16:00
Many Sleeps is the ridge runner on Springer. He basically lives there from March thru April I think. Great guy!

Not trying to be picky, and this information is probably of no interest to the person from New Jersey who started the thread, but Many Sleeps is the caretaker at Springer. His job is to stay in the Springer Shelter area, giving advice, etc. Georgia also has a ridge runner whose job it is to travel the whole state offering advice, etc.

Roger (Many Sleeps) often stays at the Hike Inn, while the ridge runner stays mostly on the trail.

I mention this for anyone interested in pursuing these positions either here or elsewhere because I believe the caretaker position is a little easier. The ridge runner not only has to be moving up and down the trail constantly, but has to always be arranging shuttles.

If interested in being either a caretaker or ridge runner I'd contact the local maintaining club. They oversee the programs in their own areas.

johnnyblisters
12-29-2010, 16:23
Ridgerunning was the best situation I could have dreamed of for the past three years in the Berkshires. PM me if you have any specific questions, otherwise, apply now!

Ox97GaMe
12-29-2010, 20:59
In the Smokies, the ridgerunners usually are out for 5 days and then have 2 days off. Because of the remoteness from the roads, that could very anywhere from 3-6 days at a time. the ridgerunners can be a little flexible in their schedules. Most of the time though, it depends on what needs to be done and in what section of the park. Our ridgerunners occassionally have been asked to help with club work trips and and renovation projects.

In the case of Many Sleeps, he sets up camp near the shelter at Springer and usually sleeps there each night. During the day, he might walk over to Stover Creek, Hawk Mountain, or Black Gap to check on things (blowdowns, trash, etc).

Razor
12-29-2010, 22:59
I am the Georgia Ridgerunner. As to the answers to the questions you asked ,they are different for each club that has ridgerunners or caretaker(Stationary posistions). They are generally administered through the ATC and that is the correct place to apply.Here is the link to start the process and now is the time.(http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.5005305/k.D453/Seasonal_Employment__Ridgerunners_and_Caretakers.h tm

Crash
12-30-2010, 21:51
Not trying to be picky, and this information is probably of no interest to the person from New Jersey who started the thread,

If interested in being either a caretaker or ridge runner I'd contact the local maintaining club. They oversee the programs in their own areas.

Thanx for redirecting back.

Unfortunately, my local club that I belong to - Allentown Hiking Club - does not oversee the program. Hearing from actual ridge runners up in the Mid-Atlantic area would be beneficial.

Razor
12-31-2010, 13:07
You still need to apply thriugh the ATC -they are the clearinghouse for all ap's.When you pull up the ap you will see that you can apply to every posistion on the trail .They will foward to the proper hiring person for each posisition, be it local club, ATC regional office,National Park, Forrest Service, Grant program, OR other way to control or fund the posistion. There are so many different combinations that it is mind boggling. There is no one answer and you have to jump in and start swimming.---

restless
12-31-2010, 19:50
Someone you might talk to is Karen Lutz. She is the mid-atlantic regional manager for the ATC and works in their Boiling Springs office. She would probably be the most knowledgeable person about the positions you are interested in and would be able to direct you to the right person should she not be able to answer your questions.