PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing a tent during winter months

Green
12-29-2010, 13:30
Had a question and was looking for some advice. I recently picked up a Black Diamond lightsaber bivy sack and need to seam seal the bivy. Normally i would wait till the warmer months to seal it, but some friends wanted to take a trip down south for some warmer hiking. I bought it knowing i would need to seal it, but had thought i wouldnt be using it till the warmer months.

Anyways what is the best way to go about seam sealing a tent in the cold winter months (is there a way)? Is it just going to take longer to cure if i do it in a garage, or with these lower temps (below freezing) will it not cure at all?

Thanks for the input
Green

10-K
12-29-2010, 14:38
Had a question and was looking for some advice. I recently picked up a Black Diamond lightsaber bivy sack and need to seam seal the bivy. Normally i would wait till the warmer months to seal it, but some friends wanted to take a trip down south for some warmer hiking. I bought it knowing i would need to seal it, but had thought i wouldnt be using it till the warmer months.

Anyways what is the best way to go about seam sealing a tent in the cold winter months (is there a way)? Is it just going to take longer to cure if i do it in a garage, or with these lower temps (below freezing) will it not cure at all?

Thanks for the input
Green

I just bought a tarptent (Rainbow) and set it up in the basement (heated) and seam sealed it.

Can you set your bivy up inside?

Helios
12-29-2010, 14:44
2nd 10-K's thoughts... set it up indoors somehow and you'll be fine. Not sure if it would work outdoors...never tried - and don't plan on trying - to seam seal in below freezing temps. It's one of the few times I'd be glad to be indoors.

kayak karl
12-29-2010, 14:47
my life is a 14 by 11 room. i had no trouble seaming my new cuben tarp.

Helios
12-29-2010, 15:00
my life is a 14 by 11 room. i had no trouble seaming my new cuben tarp.

Hope you don't keep you Kayak in there too!!

10-K
12-29-2010, 15:33
Hope you don't keep you Kayak in there too!!

He's probably plotting another January 1 start from Springer... :)

kayak karl
12-29-2010, 15:59
no. 2/5 north out of Harper's ferry and my kayaks are not stored. kayaking the Delaware bay tomorrow :banana

Green
01-03-2011, 17:55
Thanks for the replies, i wasn't sure if it was safe to seam seal tents/bivys inside or not.

skinewmexico
01-03-2011, 20:11
You might vent the room some. You don't want too much of a high.

Green
01-04-2011, 16:50
Yeah i had thought about putting a fan in the room and running an air purifier as well. Think this would be enough?

Franco
01-04-2011, 16:56
Green ,
to each his own , but I regularly seam seal tents in my "spare" bedroom , saves me keeping an eye out on the weather when it is changeable as it usually is in Melbourne...
Franco

Green
01-06-2011, 14:16
Great, thanks for all the advice/suggestions! I know what ill be doing this weekend!