PDA

View Full Version : New Member in VA

George in VA
12-29-2010, 19:38
Hi All,

I've been researching here on WhiteBlaze.net trying to bring myself up to speed after a 10 year hiatus from backpacking. It's an amazing resource and I've thouroughly enjoyed the articles and the posts.

After 10 years backpacking in New England ( mostly White Mtns ) my wife and I moved to Denver, CO and spent another 10 years backpacking in the American West -- Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Bandelier, Chaco Canyon, and all over Colorado. We moved out to Williamsburg, VA 10 years ago and got away from backpacking due to too much time spent with other hobbies.

We really miss being out on the trails and decided we should get back out there in 2011. As it appears that there are some nice sections of the AT here in Virginia we thought this would be a good place to start. I'm personally really looking forward to it as I still have fond memories of a two and a half week trip hiking the AT from Springer Mtn to Fontana Dam 25 years ago. We're also really looking forward to shedding some major weight from our packs with some of the new gear that's on the market these days. Goodby Stretch Dome, Terraplane, and Asolo's -- Hello Tarptent, ULA, and Trail Runners!:)

Looking forward to being part of the forum. Thanks for having such a great resource on the web.

George in VA

Megapixel
12-29-2010, 19:43
WELCOME GEORGE ! We recently moved from Virginia to Florida, and the hiking isn't quite the same. Virginia has some really nice hiking opportunities, my favorite was The Grayson Highlands.

Press
12-29-2010, 20:04
Hey George, welcome. From Williamsburg, just drive west on I-64 until you get to Afton Mt. west of Charlottesville, then walk south on the AT for some of the most beautiful, and less well-known, stretches of the trail in the state!

Cookerhiker
12-29-2010, 20:54
Welcome to WB George! Since you've just moved, you may want to get involved with the Tidewater AT Club (http://www.tidewateratc.com/) - I think they're the closest to you now.

In addition to the AT in Shenandoah National Park and along the Blue Ridge Parkway, there's lots of good backpacking offering more solitude in George Washington National Forest (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQ oY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjBNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110808&navtype=forestBean&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&cid=null&ttype=main&pname=George/). It's a little longer drive for you but you may want to consider it.

hobbs
12-29-2010, 21:24
Hey George you will have a blast! I just started back myself after a 5 yr. But its awesome. Virginia is very beatiful and its a hikers paradise..

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 22:46
im not a new member, but i sure wish i was in VIRGINIA:D
WELCOME TO WB

Hobbler
12-29-2010, 23:26
Hello George...Welcome to White Blaze

I know that you will really enjoy getting get back into hiking especially here in Virginia. The A/T here is so fine but the Blue Blazes are awesome too! Take a few!

Spider
12-29-2010, 23:29
Welcome to WhiteBlaze George! I'm from Ashburn, VA and I've done some hiking in Shenandoah. It's a really great park with a really well kept section of the trail. I definitely recommend it to you!

George in VA
12-30-2010, 13:05
Thanks for the welcome everyone! We're looking forward to trying out some of the AT sections here in VA like some of you have suggested. Most likely in 30 to 60 mile chunks. I've got some specific map / guidebook / transportation / and gear questions which I'll ask in the appropriate forums. Thanks again for everything.

George

the goat
12-30-2010, 13:12
Hi All,

I've been researching here on WhiteBlaze.net trying to bring myself up to speed after a 10 year hiatus from backpacking. It's an amazing resource and I've thouroughly enjoyed the articles and the posts.

After 10 years backpacking in New England ( mostly White Mtns ) my wife and I moved to Denver, CO and spent another 10 years backpacking in the American West -- Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Bandelier, Chaco Canyon, and all over Colorado. We moved out to Williamsburg, VA 10 years ago and got away from backpacking due to too much time spent with other hobbies.

We really miss being out on the trails and decided we should get back out there in 2011. As it appears that there are some nice sections of the AT here in Virginia we thought this would be a good place to start. I'm personally really looking forward to it as I still have fond memories of a two and a half week trip hiking the AT from Springer Mtn to Fontana Dam 25 years ago. We're also really looking forward to shedding some major weight from our packs with some of the new gear that's on the market these days. Goodby Stretch Dome, Terraplane, and Asolo's -- Hello Tarptent, ULA, and Trail Runners!:)

Looking forward to being part of the forum. Thanks for having such a great resource on the web.

George in VA

what? waller mill park & the lake matoaka trails aren't adventurous enough for you?!?:D

welcome to WB, george, you'll find a wealth of info here.

vamelungeon
12-30-2010, 13:36
There's a lot of hiking here in Virginia besides the AT too, if you are looking for a little more solitude in your hiking.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:47
Welcome from another Virginian.

I love the Williamsburg area, but I am also a history buff too.

VA has lots of trails. You'll have fun.

Daydream Believer
12-30-2010, 16:19
Welcome! You are not far from me...I'm in Suffolk, VA!

Pony
12-30-2010, 18:34
Ahhh, Virgina. If I weren't commited to finishing the trail last year, I would probably still be there. It took me seven weeks as it is. Not only is there great hinking, but other outdoor activities are bountiful, and the state is steeped in history if you get into that. And the people are super nice. Hoping to get back there in the spring myself. Welcome.

George in VA
12-30-2010, 19:41
Thanks again for all the kind words. I do really like Virginia and Williamsburg is a fun little town. We've done some day hikes when were out near SNP and I agree that it's a beautiful area. Good people too. Looking forward to spending some time in the mountains again.

George