PDA

View Full Version : $20 Trekking Poles

Spider
12-29-2010, 20:17
I just picked up a pair of NewBalance $20 trekking poles from Target. I know NewBalance isn't exactly renowned for their exceptional backpacking gear, but I figured it sure beats $99 for a single. Was just wondering if anyone had any comments on this purchase.

Doc Mike
12-29-2010, 20:32
Bought my leki's on steep and cheap for 55 lifetime warranty and only slightly over a pound for both.

Doc Mike

Luddite
12-29-2010, 20:33
Do they look better than the Walmart ones?

"Manufacturer Suggested Age: 18 Years and Up" I guess you're just now old enough to use 'em.

Ox97GaMe
12-29-2010, 20:41
general rule of thumb with hiking gear is that you usually get what you pay for. That is not to say that you didnt find a real bargain and that they wont do everything you need them to do.

the primary differences that I have seen in high end vs lower end hiking poles is as follows:

a) cork vs. rubber/plastic handles. cork will obsorb some of the sweat from your hands and tends to not get as slippery to hold while you are hiking.
b) 2 piece vs. 3 piece shafts. 2 piece tend to be more prone to bending. The greater the length of each individual section, the more prone it is to bending. 3 segment poles might get an extension use of about 18 inches max vs. a 24-30 inch extension for a 2 section pole.
c) springs for shock absorbsion. This helps take stress off your knees, especially on the downhills. I dont know the specifics about how much or the ratios. Having any poles (even wooden) is much better on the knees than no poles at all. a person would have to figure the ratios and the costs and determine if that was justifiable for their particular usage.
d) warranty/repair. although higher end poles tend to be more durable, when something does happen to them, the vendors/manufacturers are pretty good about replacing parts at little or no cost. Of course, full replacement of a $20 pair of poles probably isnt that big of a deal either.

All that said.... the poles should be based on your particular usage. You may not want to use a $20 pair of poles for a 2000-3000 mile trek, but you also dont need a $200 pair for the occassional day hike.

I tell folks that with any of their gear, when unsure, if possible make your first purchase as a cheap trial-and-error type thing. example: Spend $20 on a used backpack (or rental) and see what you like/dont like before making a $300 investment.

Hope you enjoy your new poles and that when you get ready to replace them, you have plenty of 'field study' information for your next purchase decision. :)

STICK
12-29-2010, 21:05
I bought a pair of cheapies from WalMart (the Outdoor Products with flick locks) and they have been great. $12 bucks each. I have used them for both hiking and setting up my tarp. I have about 250 - 300 pretty hard miles on them and they are finally starting to show it. I cannot complain though.

However, I was stuck on a pair of Lekis, but I do believe I am going to go lighter and with carbon fiber. I am now looking at (and waiting for) the Gossamer Gear LT4 adjustable poles to come back into stock. They are not quite $12/each though...

mmais68569
12-29-2010, 21:09
I bought a pair of cheapies from WalMart (the Outdoor Products with flick locks) and they have been great. $12 bucks each. I have used them for both hiking and setting up my tarp. I have about 250 - 300 pretty hard miles on them and they are finally starting to show it. I cannot complain though.

However, I was stuck on a pair of Lekis, but I do believe I am going to go lighter and with carbon fiber. I am now looking at (and waiting for) the Gossamer Gear LT4 adjustable poles to come back into stock. They are not quite $12/each though...

Stick
If they wear out the MFG. will replace at no charge. If you need the information PM me.
Mike

wcgornto
12-29-2010, 23:25
I used Leki poles for my thru hike. I replaced the tips in Harpers Ferry and I replaced a shaft in Hot Springs. I paid for the tips, but the shaft replacement was free. For occasional day hikes and such, the cheap ones from Walmart are fine. For a thru hike, the value of Lekis for me was the availability and convenience of replacement parts. No other brand, low end or high end, has anywhere near the same level of convenience for replacement parts / maintenance along the trail.

Elder
12-29-2010, 23:35
I used Leki poles for my thru hike. I replaced the tips in Harpers Ferry and I replaced a shaft in Hot Springs. I paid for the tips, but the shaft replacement was free. For occasional day hikes and such, the cheap ones from Walmart are fine. For a thru hike, the value of Lekis for me was the availability and convenience of replacement parts. No other brand, low end or high end, has anywhere near the same level of convenience for replacement parts / maintenance along the trail.

:D Good Answer!! and Thank you.

Elder, the Leki guy. :cool: