PDA

View Full Version : how much does it cost to hike the AT?

Megapixel
12-29-2010, 20:41
Ok, just kidding. :p
But is there a thread out there that talks about ways to save money on the trail? I'm not talking going without, like only stay in the woods and never eat out, etc., but smart ways to use your money on trail. Like cost effectiveness of food drops vs. convenience store locations, or other ideas where one might get off track. One's I've heard of include sharing room cost...ok that's all i really can think of. Thoughts?

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 20:43
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content

DapperD
12-29-2010, 21:28
Ok, just kidding. :p
But is there a thread out there that talks about ways to save money on the trail? I'm not talking going without, like only stay in the woods and never eat out, etc., but smart ways to use your money on trail. Like cost effectiveness of food drops vs. convenience store locations, or other ideas where one might get off track. One's I've heard of include sharing room cost...ok that's all i really can think of. Thoughts?Here's one:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42562

couscous
12-29-2010, 21:46
Ideas for an Inexpensive Thru-hike
- by Weathercarrot, posted on 13 Nov 2003
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959#post22959

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 22:03
he doesn't list anything about SUCHES GA 20miles north of springer(even by mile #20 you will be hungry)
nothing about the gas station/general store or about buying hot dogs and chili and maybe an onion to dice up on those chili cheese dogs for camp the night before you reach neels gap.nothing about the cold sodas, the first call home(before cell phones):D just rambling, i usually stop there though. suches still have the grocery store?

Blissful
12-30-2010, 18:53
Watch your spending in towns is the main thing.

Red Hat
12-30-2010, 19:14
Towns can save your hike or break your hike.... If you avoid town, you'll be hungry, tired, and cranky. But spend too much time in town, and you may not want to go back to the trail. Especially avoid spending money on drinking. I've known that to blow quite a few hikes.

Datto
12-31-2010, 19:11
My suggestion -- if you're thru-hike is northbound have half of your thru-hike money still available when you enter Connecticut.

Datto

garlic08
12-31-2010, 20:01
Great tips so far. In my opinion, a fast hike is a cheap hike. I'm not saying you should run the trail, but if you actually hike all day, like from sunrise to sunset, and avoid sitting around in shelters from late afternoon until mid-morning, you'll get lots more miles per day and lots fewer days on the trail. Plus you get to see the outdoors at the best times of the day.

kayak karl
12-31-2010, 20:07
if you are already frugal you won't have a problem. if you like to live it up, your in for some changes.

10-K
12-31-2010, 20:09
Great tips so far. In my opinion, a fast hike is a cheap hike. I'm not saying you should run the trail, but if you actually hike all day, like from sunrise to sunset, and avoid sitting around in shelters from late afternoon until mid-morning, you'll get lots more miles per day and lots fewer days on the trail. Plus you get to see the outdoors at the best times of the day.

I think this is the best overall way to save money. Just hike more miles.

You don't have to kill yourself - just 2-3 extra miles a day can cut lots of days off a long hike.

hikingshoes
01-05-2011, 14:00
Im doing some planning for my thru-hike(2012).I was looking at 3-4days on the trail,hit a town for resupply of food,shower,good meal and back on the trail,but if needed get a room.I was looking at 5000dollars for my hike.HS

trail ronin
01-07-2011, 02:14
he doesn't list anything about SUCHES GA 20miles north of springer(even by mile #20 you will be hungry)
nothing about the gas station/general store or about buying hot dogs and chili and maybe an onion to dice up on those chili cheese dogs for camp the night before you reach neels gap.nothing about the cold sodas, the first call home(before cell phones):D just rambling, i usually stop there though. suches still have the grocery store?

Yes, if you mean the station. They have a good selection of Knor and noodles.