PDA

View Full Version : college student in need of advice

atkriebel
12-29-2010, 22:37
I am a freshman in college and my goal is to thru hike the entire AT.

My biggest dilemna is when to do it.
After college I will hopefully be working, so the only time I can envision myself having the time to hike it is during college sometime.

I was wondering was worked for everyone else. When did you find time to hike it?
I'm thinking between undergrad and grad school.

The second dilemna is whether I should go SOBO or NOBO. I want to go NOBO because of the fellowship of other hikers and the experience. But that would require me to take 2 semesters off college. If I went SOBO I could manage to only take off one semester.

Is NOBO worth it?

Spider
12-29-2010, 22:41
I'm in the same position as you. I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps after college and then thru-hiking after that with the small surplus provided. That could make it difficult to land a job though. The only other option I've got is what you suggested- section hiking over the summer. Problem with this though is I'd really like the summers for making money. Anyway, we'll figure it out I'm sure. Where are you attending? I'm at Dickinson College in PA.

Johnny Thunder
12-29-2010, 22:42
depending on your major you could work hard and graduate a semester early. that'll free up the late winter to start a NOBO hike.

I believe that hiking Northbound is worth it...but i also enjoyed the crap out of college and wouldn't have wanted to miss that last semester (it was a blast).

You could also do two thousand mile hikes during your summer breaks. if you really want to hike with the NOBO's start at trail days heading North and stop when you have to go home. Then mop up the rest the following year.

Start saving money and take a photography class to satisfy your fine arts requirement (if you have one). knowing how to use a camera is worth it for more reasons than just hiking the AT.

atkriebel
12-29-2010, 22:45
I'm at penn state.

I could graduate early, but the dilemna is delaying a job. If all goes according to plan ill have a job waiting for me when I graduate.

Spider
12-29-2010, 22:48
You know we're about an hour away from each other. Dickinson is also 6 miles from the AT. If you're interested in meeting up sometime for a trip I'm down. Any chance you play Ultimate Frisbee there?

atkriebel
12-29-2010, 22:50
Yeah that's a coincidence. And I played for our B team for a little then ended up resigning.

I would definitely be interested in a trip. Our outing club does a lot of trips in our area.

Spider
12-29-2010, 22:55
Oh okay. Yeah I'm on the Jive Turkeys, not sure if you've heard of us, but we played at your home tournament. I haven't gotten too involved with our Outing Club yet for several reasons, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

atkriebel
12-29-2010, 22:58
I actually have a jive turkeys disc

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 23:03
well this is all nice and happy! just came on to say johnney thunder was the one to ask. but he allready beat me to himself. his planning skills are the best. now ill leave you to planning your hikes witch should be mine. i hate you all.if i ever hike i will require your hatred in kind. lol!

Spider
12-29-2010, 23:07
I actually have a jive turkeys disc

I probably sold it to you then haha. I was going around selling those discs at the tourney. :banana

atkriebel
12-29-2010, 23:11
Well thanks for everyones input, I will have to figure out my college schedule

buff_jeff
12-29-2010, 23:40
I section hiked the trail during my vacation time in college. I started the summer after my freshman year and ended up finishing the summer after my senior year. It worked out well for me; I always had something to look forward to.

johnnyblisters
12-29-2010, 23:56
That sounds like a good plan Buff_Jeff. I did a somewhat similar schedule, except working on the trail during the summers during college.

atkriebel, if I had to do it again, I would have just taken a year off and hiked it when the reality first struck me. Instead I have been slowly meandering towards my goal of a 2011 thru, although the wait will surely be worth it! Good luck with your planning.

sbhikes
12-30-2010, 11:35
You can always delay your hiking for the almighty Work and then you can be like me and wake up in your 40s and wonder is this all there is to life and go hike then.

Koinseb
12-30-2010, 11:50
You can always delay your hiking for the almighty Work and then you can be like me and wake up in your 40s and wonder is this all there is to life and go hike then.

Dang, that sounds familiar to me.

jersey joe
12-30-2010, 12:33
The statistics say that you won't make it very far if you do attempt a thru hike. Because of this, I wouldn't alter my life greatly if I were you. It would be a shame to put off grad school for a year and drop off the trail after 3 days. Sorry that this came off as so negative...i know every situation/hiker is different.

Yahtzee
12-30-2010, 12:40
Thank you, thank you, thank you. For the first 35 years of my life I spelled dilemma with a silent 'n' instead of the second 'm'. I thought I was the only one. I still prefer our spelling. 'Dilemma' just looks wrong.

Take the job. Get student debt down, manage it, then quit your job in a few years and go hiking.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:50

Ha ha yeppers that was me too. :D

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:51
The statistics say that you won't make it very far if you do attempt a thru hike. Because of this, I wouldn't alter my life greatly if I were you. It would be a shame to put off grad school for a year and drop off the trail after 3 days. Sorry that this came off as so negative...i know every situation/hiker is different.

Makes total sense.

I waited 30 plus years.

Section hike is a great way to experience the AT.

RGB
12-30-2010, 15:22
I'm in the same position as you. I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps after college and then thru-hiking after that with the small surplus provided. That could make it difficult to land a job though. The only other option I've got is what you suggested- section hiking over the summer. Problem with this though is I'd really like the summers for making money. Anyway, we'll figure it out I'm sure. Where are you attending? I'm at Dickinson College in PA.

I'm going SOBO after graduation. Halfway through I'm putting in my application to the Peace Corps. After that I'm finishing whatever grad school I don't finish in the Corps.

RGB
12-30-2010, 15:25
After that, PCT maybe? Whatever it is, it won't be an honest day's work. ;)

soulslosher
12-31-2010, 14:11
I would just attempt to do it after college. Focus on college and all that it encompasses now. I graduated from college in May 2010 and then I started planning my thru-hike. Taking some time off after college can be a good thing.. esp if you're going to go hiking for 6 months after--- it allows for some soul searching...

hikerboy57
12-31-2010, 14:19
Quit school and do it now.Just kidding, but you should possibly consider taking a leave of absence after your 2nd yea, do the trail and finish school after.I first considered thru hiking the AT in 1976 and havent done it yet. In 2012, my boss is giving me 3 months off to hike as far north as I can get. always remember"Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans."And an AT thru hike will definitely help on your resume when your ready to enter the workforce.

Thoreau-going
12-31-2010, 15:08
I go to Penn State also.

I'm taking a leave of absence Spring 2011 to go NOBO in March. PSU makes it really easy to take a semester off. On top of that, there's a chance I'll graduate a semester early... I don't see too many potential problems with this choice.

Speakeasy TN
12-31-2010, 18:51
Yet another warning from a 46 y.o. who is just now getting to take a shot! Take the year off between undergrad and grad school and do it. You can put the money aside and be ready to roll. You get to jump back into grad school with the sense of accomplishment that will come with taking control of your destiny and hiking your own hike.

AUhiker90
12-31-2010, 19:00
Your young and will heal fast. There were quite a few thrus going nobo just on their summer break its a tough hike but its definatly acheivable. 24 miles a day with no zeros but you will be able to get above your average a for a couple zeros.

Snowleopard
01-01-2011, 11:45
The options that would impact education and career least:

Do the AT over two summers (one summer if you're fast).

Take a semester off, but try to get college credit based on your AT hike. Figure out something you're interested in that has some intellectual content, e.g. ecology of the AT, trail/nomadic culture, etc. Usually you would have to write a proposal first then submit a final report. Talk to your professors, academic advisor and outdoorsy students.