PDA

View Full Version : Is this boot right for me? L.L. Bean Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers (Leather)?

Distilled
12-30-2010, 01:43
Hey y'all,

Week-long lurker, first-time poster.

[Cliffs notes: what's your opinion of the boot in the title?]

[Long version]
I'm new to the backpacking thing, only been doing it seriously now for about 6 months and it's time to invest in a pair of quality hiking boots to section-hike the AT. I have a pretty flexible budget, so I'm willing to plop down $250 if it's needed but I'd really like to keep it under $200 if possible.

I received a $100 LL Bean gift certificate for Christmas so I'm looking at some of their boots. Although I'm 25 and in good health, my ankles are weak due to countless sprains and rolls from basketball (most recent trouble 1 1/2 years ago when the doctor told me I had "maybe the worst sprain [he] has ever seen"). I'm also a pretty big dude, 5'11" 210 lb., very upper-body heavy (tons of weightlifting...and maybe some eating too ;)). Also, I am clumsy as hell, and when hiking with any kind of speed will trip and have to catch my balance at least once per mile.

With those factors in, my local outfitter strongly recommended I suck it up and get a full-grian leather boot to protect my ankles. At first I really didn't want to. I don't like having hot feet and full grain leather is expensive. So what I'd like to know is,

1) If you're familiar with it, what do you think of the boot?
2) If you don't like it/think there's something better, what do you recommend?
3) Is a full-grain boot necessary?

Thanks for all the help!

ChrisFol
12-30-2010, 02:02
Contrary to outfitters theory that a high ankle boot offers more support, this is false. What tends to happen with a high ankle boot, certainly a leather one, is that when you stumble your ankle will go one way (horizontal) and the high ankle support will stay vertical, causing a bigger injury when you roll your ankle.

My advise-- AT during 3-season conditions, use a trail runner-- this way you shoe rolls *with* your ankle and not against and combine that with an ankle or full length gaitor depending on conditions.

The only time I have a "real" boot is for the Colorado winter and even then it is less about ankle protection and more about insulation since it is my snowshoes and crampons that provide the traction and not the boot.

ashleigh22
12-30-2010, 02:47
I personally think that you should try a few different types of boots. You have to decide what is most comfortable for you and your needs. I tried on about 20 pairs of boots before I found the ones that gave me the most support and comfort. It's a personal choice, really. As for leather, I would think they weigh a hell of a lot more and I wouldn't say they are worth it.. but again, your choice. Leather tends to not be very breathable either.. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Spokes
12-30-2010, 09:49
I prefer synthetic material in footwear for long distance hiking. Lot's of hikers advocate trail runners as mentioned but my ankles just couldn't take them. Got much better comfort from the Keen Targhee II. Never got any blisters either. Your feet may be different.

My experience with waterproofing material (GoreTex or proprietary) is they only tend to last between 7-10 days in continuous wet conditions before breaching so weigh the cost differences before deciding.

Good luck!

Grampie
12-30-2010, 10:07
Hi, Having thru-hiked wearing Montrail AT Hiker boots so I'm a fan of regular hiking boots and not trail runners.
I met several hikers during my thru the were using the LL Bean Cresta Hiker boots and were having good luck with them.
I brought a pair and have had them for about 5 years now. Probably put 4 to 5 hundred miles on them. like them a lot and you just can't beat the LL Bean Guarentee.

bruchko
12-30-2010, 10:24
I've got bad ankles as well and here's the thing that worked for me. I use Montrail trail runners with lace up ankle braces. The ankle braces will protect you much better than a high top boot. The braces I use are at

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/ASO-EVO-Ankle-Stabilizer-Brace-186p1514.htm

Tabasco
12-30-2010, 10:54
I have the Cresta GTX hikers and LOVE them. you will get all kinds of trail runners are best / low hiker boots are best / high boots suck / high boots are the best comments from the crowd here.

buy what works for YOU. They are LL Bean, if you get them and don't like them, they will give you your money back

swamp dawg
12-30-2010, 11:26
I used the Cresta GTX for thirty day section hikes over several years. The boot is a very comfortable and holds up well. The only negative is they are a bit heavy but they give great support, traction and stability.

Rocket Jones
12-30-2010, 11:29
Bottom line is that if the boot doesn't fit your foot, it's not a good boot (for you).

Tenderheart
12-30-2010, 13:15
Once again let me say that shoe height has nothing to do with ankle support. That said, I knew two thru hikers who wore Cresta boots and loved them for durability and comfort. Oddly enough, both of them left Damascus heading north in trail runners. I'm afraid you're going to have to experiment yourself on this one.

litefoot 2000

Toolshed
12-30-2010, 15:01
You'll get a lot of opinions for sure.
I had a pair of these about a decade ago and wasn't pleased with them. I thought the midsole need some beefing up. It felt painful to the bottoms of my feet over the miles. Having had Danner and Merrell FGL mountaineering boots prior to this, I never noticed it until I switched to the bean for a lighter boot. Otherwise, I have worn trail runners and Asolo FGL Boots for the past decade and am very pleased with both from a midsole/bottom foot soreness perspective.

Be prepared to try a lot of boots in order to find that magical pair. It's hard to do from a mail order perspective, but if you do order them - Don't wear them outside, so you can return them if you don't like the fit after a week or so.
Trail runners or leather boots is a personal preference - But you might end up with both for starters and then gravitate towards one or the other over time.

berninbush
12-30-2010, 15:31
If I may make a completely different suggestion...

Rather than focusing all your efforts on finding a shoe/ boot that supports your ankle, consider doing some work to get your ankles to support themselves, and learning to walk in such a way that you stay balanced and reduce your risk of rolling.

This takes more work, but I believe it's worth it in the long run. Imagine you're recovering from a broken leg, and your leg is fully supported in a walking cast. That's all well and good while the injury heals, but sooner or later you want to do physical therapy so that your leg can function normally without being dependent on the cast, right? If you wear the cast indefinitely, sooner or later your leg atrophies and can't function without it. Exercise strengthens the leg so that it can once again be self-supporting.

You CAN make your ankles stronger and improve your balance if you work on it. If you want to understand the mechanics of the foot, ankle, knee, and hip, and how they all work together, I highly recommend The Barefoot Book (http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Book-Great-Reasons-Shoes/dp/0897935543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293737457&sr=8-1)by Daniel Howell. (Disclaimer: I contributed a few paragraphs to this book in the testimonials section.) It will also give you some idea of how to go about strengthening your ankles.

Joshuatree
12-30-2010, 16:28
I also have issues with spraining my ankles I've tryed light hikers and while they worked I found the full leather uppers gave more support and stablity then the lighter hikers. I've also found that a good pair of insoles that have a decent heal cup help with ankle instabilty I have noticed too that gortex seems to hold up better with the full leather boots as opposed to mixed material boots.

Distilled
12-30-2010, 16:54
Thanks for all the help everyone!

I've got bad ankles as well and here's the thing that worked for me. I use Montrail trail runners with lace up ankle braces. The ankle braces will protect you much better than a high top boot. The braces I use are at

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/ASO-EVO-Ankle-Stabilizer-Brace-186p1514.htm

Did you need to adjust your shoe size to compensate for the room the brace takes up? I wore won when I last sprained my ankle and I didn't need to go up a shoe size but it was close (and it increased the size of the shoe).

Kneegrinder
12-30-2010, 16:57
Everyone's feet are different but I got the fabric/leather version of these last summer and they are fantastic. Good support which is what I needed. Wore them around home for a few days before hitting the trail and they were totally broken in.

Rocket Jones
12-30-2010, 17:57
Rather than focusing all your efforts on finding a shoe/ boot that supports your ankle, consider doing some work to get your ankles to support themselves, and learning to walk in such a way that you stay balanced and reduce your risk of rolling.

I second this. A simple thing I do is to stand on one leg several times during the day. Pay attention and you'll notice how your entire leg and foot work together to keep your balance. Does wonders to strengthen the little muscles and improves your balance and auto-recovery from a twist or roll.

You can do this while talking on the phone, doing the dishes, taking a quick break at work. Whenever.

burntoutphilosopher
12-30-2010, 18:04
two things,
the suggestion about strengthening joints cannot be overstated ... muscles grow on the trail but joints take months to beef up...

... when i hurt my ankle on my last PCT trip my doctor told me i injured my ankle BECAUSE i wear tall boots all day and the ankle muscles atrophied... so when i switched to runners for the trail my ankle couldn't take the sudden workload.

my work requires me to wear a heavy duty boot . . . and it's made my ankles weak over time.

my personal experience... wear runner a lot before you switch to them on the trail. that said, the weight difference is well worth it if you can get a sub 15lb or so baseweight.

Turtle2
12-30-2010, 18:30
Addressing your feet becoming hot in a leather boot...the week (yes only 1 week) I wore leather boots, my feet would sweat so much the leather on top of the boot showed moisture where the sweat wicked thru the boot. Believe me, HOT feet. If you do get a boot, get a synthetic for breathability.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 20:29
With ankle weakness you are much better off strengthening your ankles with a wobble board (which you can buy at Dicks) and other exercises then relying on ankle braces or boots. I hiked the trail twice in trail runners having multiple past ankle sprains.

Hooch
12-30-2010, 20:45
Take thine self to Phillip Gall's or JH Lanmark and get fitted, for sure. :D

Mr. Clean
01-01-2011, 07:30
The Crestas are great boots, but heavy. Look into the mountain treads at Beans, I wear them all day everyday at work and on the trail.

I wear boots on the trail here in Maine and the Whites. You may want trail runners in your area, but that's your choice. I like boots, others don't. Just try many pairs of shoes and/or boots until you get that pair that you just can't live without. Try on with the sock combo you will be wearing on the trail.

Tinker
01-01-2011, 11:43
Bottom line is that if the boot doesn't fit your foot, it's not a good boot (for you).

Seconded. Your feet are the most important part of your hike (though food is a very close second).
A lot of people like the Cresta hikers.
I, personally, don't like Gore-tex or other laminates in footwear. Although it's breathable in its "raw" state, it needs to be glued in to the boot (plugging a good number of the "pores"), and then it's treated to resist acids and salts contained in sweat (with a coating of good ol' fashioned polyurethane - a plastic), making the laminate even less breathable (make that UNbreathable).
Footwear "breathes" far better through the "bellows effect" whereby air is sucked into and driven out of the boot or shoe by the simple act of putting one foot in front of the other (walking) than it does by adding something less breathable than the leather (in the Crestas) is alone.
Leather is ok in cool weather, but makes feet warmer in hot weather and doesn't dry as quickly as nylon fabric or nylon fabric synthetic leather footwear does. Changing to dry socks after wiping out wet fabric boots can make them feel dry for a time, at least, and you can use waterproof socks (Sealskinz or Rocky) if you choose, when the weather is sloppy, making your breathable footwear in a sense, waterproof, without being stuck with a boot that gives your feet a sauna on a hot day.

Dogwood
01-01-2011, 19:30
This goes for anyone asking similiar questions as you Distilled so don't think it personally aimed at you! How anyone can say this shoe is right for you when not knowing what kind of feet you have and not knowing for what type of feet these shoes are designed for is beyond me! Like Tinker said, without the right kind of hiking shoes, meaning shoes that fit your feet and are suitable for your typical hikes, you are not going to be at your hiking best.

Learn what kind of feet you have(arch, pronation, shape, etc). Possibly, GET your feet examined, usually free at many quality operated professional outfitters. Have your hiking shoes, that which they were designed for, match your type of feet and your typical hikes. Visiting running show websites can help you learn much about your type of feet and walking/running/hiking style and the types of shoe aspects, even if they are only running shoes, various shoe designs are meant to be paired with on various individual's foot aspects. Work on getting this right and I promise you you will be a happier hiker!

BradMT
01-03-2011, 10:07
Contrary to outfitters theory that a high ankle boot offers more support, this is false.

The only thing "false" is this statement... sometimes true, sometimes not.

You have to find what works for you and everyone's feet and ankles are individual. I just depends.

Painting with a broad brush misses important details...

walkin' wally
01-03-2011, 10:46
I have 2 pairs of Cresta Hikers and will wear the newest ones on my AT hike in March. I have about 800 miles combined on the pair. I have done all the AT in Maine on them and I did not have any trouble with my ankles. I have weak ankles too and roll them readily in the woods over roots and rocks with other thinner leather boots.
Like the other posters say though YMMV:)

Another thing with them for me was the low break-in time. I did do one thing to them that most people wouldn't do and that was to grease the outer leather to keep it soft and my feet dry. IMHO gore-tex is over rated. Again, Just my opinion.

The trend is definetly to go with lightweight footwear which these boots aren't.

WalkinHome
01-03-2011, 11:32
I agree completely with Wally. I love these boots-went through 1 1/2 pair on my thru. I too have weak ankles (maybe "had" as they seemed to get much stronger after slogging through the northeast mud LOL) and I felt like I had great support regardless of the twisting and turning of the boot/foot. I also tend to not agree with the broad generalizations regarding boots vs runners, ankle covered vs not. Many folks quote supposed studies to "support" (sorry) their position but I have yet to see any pointers to the actual studies or facts. HYOH and hope to meet you somewhere along the trail Wally to give you a snickers or encouragement.

leaftye
01-03-2011, 13:15
I'll pour on some more...

The amount of ankle support that boots can provide is minuscule at best. I wish that was different so that I could have continued my hike this year. I still like boots for their cleanliness, snow stomping ability, and toe protection, but they're too hot. Having to take them off several times a day to air out my feet and boots means a few miles I can't hike or having to hike that much harder to make up for lost time.

Since leaving the trail this spring, I've worked on strengthening my ankles. Tons of calf raises and balancing in addition to hiking has helped greatly. At first I couldn't even hike on a hiking trail for any distance without a considerable amount of pain, but now I'm up to 14 miles a day on multi-day hikes before I start feeling any pain. I wish I had started doing ankle strengthening exercises a long time ago. I still have a long way to go. It will probably be at least another year before I feel that my ankles are bulletproof.

remington79
01-06-2011, 17:01
I love my leather Crestas. Some people think they're heavy but they're not to me. If weight is an issue they make a synthetic version. I also don't think they are hot either. Mine were very comfortable out of the box and have been durable. I hike on trails and I also do a lot of bushwacking. I know some people say to try trail runners but they are too low for my tastes. I prefer taller boots to help keep water and dirt out and the extra support. But then again I don't like the way sneakers feel on my feet either.
LL Bean has a great return policy. If they ever go bad send them back and they will replace them. When I got my boots it also came with some literature stating that you can't get a feel for boots on carpet and to go ahead and try them on the trail. If you didn't like them on the trail you could return them and get you money back.

remington79
01-06-2011, 17:13
I forgot to mention the footbox on the Crestas is very roomy. LL Bean is right when they say best fit with a heavy weight sock. My old Sundowners don't have this much room in the toes. Because of this the Sundowners will sometimes pinch my toes if I wear socks that are too heavy.
Despite the Crestas having a better fit with heavy weight socks they still feel good with midweight Smartwool socks.