PDA

View Full Version : Cloudveil Endless Down Jacket

darkage
12-30-2010, 04:51
I'm looking for that light but toasty layer over my fleece and under my shell for my 2012 thru .... REI has this down jacket weighing in at 16-17 ounces ... I'm sure my XXL will be an ounce or two more lol ... anyway, i'm wondering if this will keep me warm in those early months ... i'll be starting april 5th ... I plan on using a wicking layer, maybe a ultralight fleece hoodie i have my eyes on or a 200 count fleece then the down and finally my shell on the coldest of nights ... any colder than that and i should be in my sleeping bag ... Any thoughts or objections too the cloudveil ?

Wags
12-30-2010, 11:32
well it looks decent... i'd try to find something with 800 filll. i wouldn't expect to be sitting around doing nothing in just that on the cold nights. you'll likely have to use your sleeping bag for additional insulation...

why the 200 weight fleece? what about a down vest for either over or under your down jacket? weight will be the same, warmth the vest should win, pack size the vest will win...

Wags
12-30-2010, 11:41
i would IMMEDIATELY pursue this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=39549

darkage
12-30-2010, 15:59
Yeah not being warm enough is fear of mine .... but i don't wanna over do it either ... i'll look into a down vest insteed of fleece ... would save weight and pack space ... I just happen too already have my marmot fleece field tested and have loved it ... but for a thru maybe there's a better option ...

HiKen2011
12-30-2010, 16:16
Patagonia down sweater, 800 fill down. 13 oz for the large, xxl couple more probably.

darkage
12-30-2010, 17:03
hmm, 15.2 ounces for the patagonia with a hood!

scope
12-30-2010, 18:01
I have a Cloudveil down jacket, its a little more casual, little less technical than this one, but same 700 fill. Had it for a number of years, has served me well. As far as the fill goes, don't think you'll find much difference with the 800. Not saying no difference, you know how folks get about grams around here.

IMO, a down jacket is something that is too easy to take along given the light weight and lack of bulk to consider not taking it because you "think" temp-wise you don't need it. You get too hot, you take it off and wear that hoody. Besides, they make great stuff sack pillows when not worn. Easily worth spending the dough on, but you don't need to spend more than $150 to get a good one that is backpacking light.

Look at Montbell jackets, too. To me, the warmest one I ever considered getting was the Mountain Hardwear Phantom. At your size, you might be able to find one at a deeper discount than what REI currently has.

jabber
12-30-2010, 23:38
Have you looked at any Montbell?

Jab.

Wags
12-31-2010, 01:19
well i was going to suggest that route until i saw he's shopping in xxl. montbell tends to run at least 1 size too small. do they make xxxl? 4x?

any reason why you didn't buy that eddie bauer for $60?