PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie?

trailhopeful
12-30-2010, 13:58
I'm sorry if I missed the places where these might have been answered, I'm new to this site & the Appalachian trail and still looking around. I'm planning a 2 month hike this upcoming summer (June, July)... not exactly sure where yet. Somewhere the least hot and sweltering lol... If anyone has any suggestions, feel free.

I know there are designated camp sites along the trail, but can you camp anywhere you'd like off the trail too? The camp sites don't really appeal to me.

Is there any way to camp without mail drops? Is there enough towns along the trail that you can essentially buy everything in town? Which is more economical?

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:41
June and July can be hot no matter where you are on the trail. But you are better in the New England area, though you will have bugs galore.

No you can't camp anywhere you want. Some states in New England have regulations where to camp (and ridgerunners patrol in the summer). So do state and national parks, gamelands in PA, etc. Get the AT data book (ALDHA guide) to help you figure out the regs and to help with resupply options. Also look at Jack Tarlin's resupply article.

onemore
12-30-2010, 14:50
Hard as it may be to decide which state offered the best hiking for a short hike.. I'd have to say on my hike I enjoyed Maine the most. It may have been because I was SOBO and it was my first state, but the 100 mile wilderness was the most peaceful place I had ever been to. You could start in Monson, ME and hike to Katahdin, which would offer solitude and a wonderful ending to your hike. Shelters offer good water sources and the trail is not horribly difficult. You should carry 9-10 days worth of food, but it was amazing. Best of luck. ONE MORE

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:53
You must have been there when it wasn't wall to wall hikers. July in 2010 was BUSY. The only time I found peace in the 100 mile wilderness was Sept. on my '07 hike. That was great. :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2010, 14:58
I'm planning a 2 month hike this upcoming summer (June, July)... not exactly sure where yet. Somewhere the least hot and sweltering lol... If anyone has any suggestions, feel free.
Least hot and sweltering? Adams, MA to Mt. Katahdin. 600 miles or so. 12 miles per day with a weekly zero. Be prepared for some mud and black flies in June.

I know there are designated camp sites along the trail, but can you camp anywhere you'd like off the trail too? The camp sites don't really appeal to me.Anywhere you simply please? Generally, no. Different sections of trail all have their own restrictions as to where you can camp. Sometimes it's as simple as "not directly on the trail" or within x number of feet of a trail or road or shelter or water source. Other times there are designated camping areas and even fees, and there are areas with many restrictions like the Whites. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/ follow the links. Campfires may also be regulated in many places, often to existing rings.

Is there any way to camp without mail drops? Is there enough towns along the trail that you can essentially buy everything in town? Which is more economical?Yes, yes, buying in towns is usually cheaper especially once you factor in postage costs.

trailhopeful
12-30-2010, 15:09
It sounds like up in the new England area will be the least hot... Good to know. I'm sure it depends on the state where you can set up camp... I was just wondering if you could camp a little out in the forest off the trail in some areas or if that was taboo?

trailhopeful
12-30-2010, 15:25
Will the handbook say where I need permits for the AT?

trailhopeful
12-30-2010, 15:39
Do most of the people hiking the AT bear bag their food, or is it not a big concern out there? What about bathroom etiquette? Does anyone 'go' off to the side of the trail anymore?

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2010, 15:50
There are many places you can camp for free, but it just isn't always as simple as going off in the woods a bit. Sometimes it is, and you could "stealth camp" in some places that you shouldn't, but it isn't advisable. You have a computer. Research it a bit at the previous link for WMNF, and at ATC, GMC, AMC, MATC, and here at WB. Check out the online companion at ALDHA as well. You'll pretty much have to camp inside the boundary of Baxter St Park in ME where there is a fee ($10 at the Birches?), unless you want to add about 20 miles of hiking round-trip to the hike up Katahdin, which definitely isn't recommended.

Many bear bag, many don't. Hotly debated. Bears are a bigger problem in the south. Still a good practice to hang food and smellies like toothpaste - anything that has food odors. There are other critters as well that will get into your food - mostly mice. Moose are more dangerous than bears.

What bathrooms? You mean privies? Etiquette? Don't open the door if there is one on others. Don't stand there and watch if there isn't. Go away from water sources - 200 ft or more. Go far enough off the trail where it isn't going to be stepped in or seen. Dig a cathole with a stick or hiking pole, cover with dirt and leaves, etc. Leave modesty at home.