PDA

View Full Version : bear ropes and such

rapchizzle
12-30-2010, 14:07
I haven't hiked on the AT before but have had plenty of experience on other trails and as a guide this summer at Philmont in New Mexico and understand the importance for suspending my food and smellables above the ground. My question is about the bear ropes on the AT. I'm planning a thruhikle for 2012 and want to figure out what I'll need. I've got a good waterproof Granite Gear stuff sack that I use as a bear bag but what about the ropes? Are there cables to toss the ropes over at shelters? Will I need to use tree limbs and such at each site? Any insite as to what to expect?

FlyPaper
12-30-2010, 14:32
I haven't hiked on the AT before but have had plenty of experience on other trails and as a guide this summer at Philmont in New Mexico and understand the importance for suspending my food and smellables above the ground. My question is about the bear ropes on the AT. I'm planning a thruhikle for 2012 and want to figure out what I'll need. I've got a good waterproof Granite Gear stuff sack that I use as a bear bag but what about the ropes? Are there cables to toss the ropes over at shelters? Will I need to use tree limbs and such at each site? Any insite as to what to expect?

For most of the parts I've hiked, I have not used a bear rope. In Shenandoah National Park, there are poles at every shelter and it is important to hang food out of bear reach. In most places we've just hung food inside the shelter to keep the mice from getting it. There are definitely some places that you will want to use a bear rope though and that will depend on the local bear activity.

Usually when I've wanted to use a bear rope it was difficult to find a strong branch that was neither too high nor too low.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:37
I use wally world line from the camping section. No problems.
Hanging food in shelters does invite mice to invade, even if they cannot get to it. Better to hang it outside.
There are also bear cables in many southern shelter areas - the ones in GA are good, many in NC are basically fouled up

Moose2001
12-30-2010, 14:38
It's not only the bears that you're concerned about. Mice are a big problem. If your food is in your tent, the mice will chew in to get to it. Your bear bag, a 30 - 40 foot of light cord/rope and a good branch is all you need.

Most of the GA shelters and the Smokies have a cable system. Other than that, it's mouse lines in the shelters or hang it on a branch.

rapchizzle
01-03-2011, 20:42
Thanks for the replies. I do plan on carrying a lightweight line in addition to my bear bag in case I feel it necessary to hang them up

Peaks
01-04-2011, 19:41
I've done both AT and Philmont. For the AT, I just carried 50 feet of parachute cord, as well as a dedicated stuff sack for food.

Hikes in Rain
01-04-2011, 21:17
Mason's twine is also supposed to be good, but it's a little thing (prone to snagging and tangling) for my tastes. A lot lighter than paracord, though.

BigHodag
01-05-2011, 09:29
I used the PCT bear bag system (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8FXRJldcpE) for my recent AT hike. Got tired of fussing with finding trees and tossing cords. Trying an Ursack (http://www.ursack.com/) this year for my NJ/NY section.

http://www.ursack.com/

My Ursack review (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/12/bear-bagging-ursack-bear-bag.html)

Manwich
01-05-2011, 09:42
Keep it in your tent and when you hear something at night, just whisper "Go Away Please" and the bear will take off running. Works for me.

If that doesn't work, tell him you're from the LDS Church and ask him if he's heard the good news. That'll send any sane animal running.

I hang it off of my hiking pole if I suspect mice will be around, though.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-05-2011, 09:55
I carry some rope for when the cables aren't available. I hang my food regardless of where I am or regardless of bear activity reports. People who leave food for the bears are inviting bear activity in the area for themselves and others. In the GSMNP you will be fined if a ranger sees your unattended food on the ground. If it's not being prepared for consumption or being consumed they want it hung. There are cables (or were last time I was there) at all the shelters and back country campsites in the GSMNP. But I still carry a rope in case the cables are already loaded. Please be considerate of future hikers by hanging your food. It only takes a few minutes but it's a major inconvenience when you're 3 days into the woods somewhere and a bear eats all your food. Now I know..there are gonna be some people say "I NEVER hang my food and I've never had it eaten be a bear." There's a first time for every thing. I don't know about others, but I won't feed someone out of my back pack if they lose their food to a bear because they didn't want to take 5 minutes or less to hang it.

garlic08
01-05-2011, 10:10
I always carry a short length of paracord (40 to 50'), which weighs an ounce or two, for gear emergencies and extra guy lines anyway, so I just use that to hang my food bag. I did not stay at shelters on the AT and I never had a problem finding a suitable, if not excellent, tree branch. It got a little harder at times in the northern coniferous forests.

Awol1970
01-05-2011, 10:21
Keep it in your tent and when you hear something at night, just whisper "Go Away Please" and the bear will take off running. Works for me.

If that doesn't work, tell him you're from the LDS Church and ask him if he's heard the good news. That'll send any sane animal running.

I hang it off of my hiking pole if I suspect mice will be around, though.

That made me spit coffee:D