PDA

View Full Version : Port Clinton Parking

Bumpa
12-30-2010, 15:02
Is there a safe place to leave a car in Port Clinton for 4 or 5 days??

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2010, 15:17
not sure - both places have a lot of window glass on the ground from the past - I have parked across the bridge at the enterance to the locomotive museum.

Bumpa
12-30-2010, 17:11
Thanks for the reply....window glass is not usually a good sign:-?

emerald
12-30-2010, 20:07
Broken window glass or a lack thereof should not be something that influences one's plans. If you want current information about vandalism, I suggest you contact the Hamburg barracks of Pennsylvania State Police.

I park both locations without incident. The longer you park, the greater risk you assume as with all places. If you intend to park for an extended period of time, it may be worth making more secure parking arrangements.

Don H
12-30-2010, 20:29
I parked for there 2 years ago for a week long section hike with no problems. I parked across the tracks in the railroad yard, there was a sign designating parking. I wouldn't park off the main road (RT 61?) though, I did see lots of broken glass there.

Crash
12-30-2010, 21:34
I parked for there 2 years ago for a week long section hike with no problems. I parked across the tracks in the railroad yard, there was a sign designating parking. I wouldn't park off the main road (RT 61?) though, I did see lots of broken glass there.

I've parked at the Railroad lot ( in the gravel lot not near the bldgs) for several days many times and never had a problem.

tf bear
12-30-2010, 21:53
I have parked in a residential area, near houses where people would walk by every day, almost like you are there visiting. Never a problem.

mweinstone
12-31-2010, 00:27
nobody parks across the tracks. park anywhere in town at all. on street parking right down from 61 is the safest. the prime spots are the post office, the bar and the steep streets comming off 61.there is no car break ins in port. dont know what glass ment. a theif couldnt get away with it cause theres dogs barking the minute you make a sound at night. please keep off the grass in front of the pavillion. the forest sevice parking lot on resivor road rear of hamburg is also safe.

Wags
12-31-2010, 01:17
you could also probably ask a manager at cabellas and leave your ride there...

emerald
12-31-2010, 11:25
the forest service parking lot on reservoir road rear of hamburg is also safe.

Borough of Hamburg owns and patrols the lot. USFS doesn't own or have anything to do with it. I don't know the exact size of NPS's tract on which Windsor Furnace Shelter is situated, but it's quite small.

Much of the Appalachian Trail between SR 61 and Hawk Mountain Road in Albany Township traverses Hamburg's watershed with their consent.

Anyone with questions about ownership of A.T. corridor lands in Pennsylvania is advised to refer to Keystone Trails Association's maps issued with Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania available from KTA or ATC.

Don H
12-31-2010, 11:31

They won't and will tow your car. I asked and they said it was town law.

Don H
12-31-2010, 11:33
They will pick you up from the Pavilion and take you to Cabelas and back for free.

Painted Turtle
12-31-2010, 12:17

WOW! I parked there 2 years ago for 4 days WITH permission. You never know from one day to the next. I did Email the main office for permission, maybe that's why.

emerald
12-31-2010, 12:26
We assume risks wherever we go every day and information here isn't necessarily accurate or current.

Bumpa
01-01-2011, 12:47
We assume risks wherever we go every day and information here isn't necessarily accurate or current.

Not necessarily inaccurate either and likely a good starting point for
someone miles away.

thanks for all replies

shelterbuilder
01-01-2011, 12:52
nobody parks across the tracks. park anywhere in town at all. on street parking right down from 61 is the safest. the prime spots are the post office, the bar and the steep streets comming off 61.there is no car break ins in port. dont know what glass ment. a theif couldnt get away with it cause theres dogs barking the minute you make a sound at night. please keep off the grass in front of the pavillion. the forest sevice parking lot on resivor road rear of hamburg is also safe.

Broken glass doesn't biodegrade - it stays there forever...the pieces may get smaller from being driven over/walked on, but unless someone picks them up, they will be there for your kids' kids to wonder about.

I'm sure that some of this glass was from break-ins (this sort of thing happens everywhere - even in towns), but I know that the State Police do occassionally patrol the parking lot along the southbound side of Rt. 61. This area was once a DUMP that was cleaned up in 1988 by BMECC and ATC/NPS, and there was a fair amount of broken glass in this area that simply could not be picked up without bulldozing a large amount of topsoil from the area. (It was tough enough getting rid of the old leaking barrels of chemicals from this site!)

The small parking area just off of northbound Rt. 61 at Mountain Rd. is mostly for hunters/dayhikers. Much of this area has been "bouldered off" to keep folks from using it as parking area to access the river for swimming (due to a number of drowning deaths over the years). The parking area at the railroad would be a much safer option, IMHO.

The parking lot at the Hamburg Reservior is by permission of the Borough of Hamburg (dayhikers are okay, but overnight parking requires making advance arrangements with the Borough Secretary at the office at 61 North 3rd Street, Hamburg (610)562-7821 during normal business hours. (These folks are okay, they just want to know who is using their watershed land, which is understandable.)

bullseye
01-01-2011, 12:59
I parked at the parking area at the 61 bridge. There was only room for one, maybe two vehicles since they are doing construction and the road crew is using the parking area. Didn't have any issues, have I in the past using the same spot.

shelterbuilder
01-01-2011, 13:00
Bumpa - I just noticed that you're from Canada. Try this e-mail address for Hamburg, if you're interested: [email protected] . That's the Borough's general e-mail address.

Southbound, this location would add about 7-8 miles of hiking to your trip.

In Port Clinton itself, I can't offer any concrete leads.

Emerald, does the Port Clinton Hotel have an e-mail address? (Or the Port Clinton Peanut Shop? Or St. John's UCC ?)

bullseye
01-01-2011, 13:00
NOR have I in the past using the same spot. Sorry, too quick to post w/o checking it 1st.

shelterbuilder
01-01-2011, 13:01
I parked at the parking area at the 61 bridge. There was only room for one, maybe two vehicles since they are doing construction and the road crew is using the parking area. Didn't have any issues, have I in the past using the same spot.

The road crew appears to be done, for now....

Bumpa
01-02-2011, 12:40
Bumpa - I just noticed that you're from Canada. Try this e-mail address for Hamburg, if you're interested: [email protected] . That's the Borough's general e-mail address.

Southbound, this location would add about 7-8 miles of hiking to your trip.

In Port Clinton itself, I can't offer any concrete leads.

Emerald, does the Port Clinton Hotel have an e-mail address? (Or the Port Clinton Peanut Shop? Or St. John's UCC ?)

Yep...been coming to the trail for section hikes for the past six years. Made it to
the Port Clinton area so far. Plan to be standing behind a sign in Maine with a
bottle of champagne on my 70th birthday:sun

Thanks, once again, for all the replies re: parking

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2011, 13:08
Broken window glass or a lack thereof should not be something that influences one's plans. If you want current information about vandalism, I suggest you contact the Hamburg barracks of Pennsylvania State Police.

I park both locations without incident. The longer you park, the greater risk you assume as with all places. If you intend to park for an extended period of time, it may be worth making more secure parking arrangements.

Emerald on to something - but if you walk into any barracks it creates a report I was able to find the information on line... Basically we are talking vandalism & theft of objects from cars....From the website

Arrests 2009
There were 12,086 arrests in 2009 for vandalism offenses. This is a 8.3 percent
decrease from the 13,175 arrests the previous year. Persons arrested for vandalism
offenses were predominantly male (83.9 percent), White (83.7 percent), and under 25 years
of age (69.5 percent).

Part of the decrease is a lack of focus on this type of crime... the Officers are focused on Domestic violence, Drug & Alcohol intervention.

Don H
01-02-2011, 14:27
WOW! I parked there 2 years ago for 4 days WITH permission. You never know from one day to the next. I did Email the main office for permission, maybe that's why.

Back then I called and asked at the Customer Service Desk, but that was over two years ago. They did tell me the Hamburg PD patrolled the lot nightly and any cars that were there more than a few days would be ticketed and towed. I think it would be safer to park there if you can get permission. If you do I would get it in writing and make sure they know at the service desk before you leave your car. They will shuttle you to the PC Pavilion.

slugger
01-03-2011, 02:07
I parked there twice for the weekend this year. Instead of doing it by the rail road tracks I parked at the AT parking lot at Rt 61 and Port Clinton Ave (right by the bridge for Rt61). It's only right out side of Port Clinton a short nice walk, you just need to walk under Rt 61 and with the bridge construction it's a low ceiling now.

emerald
01-03-2011, 12:55

Only Port Clinton Hotel has a website AFAIK. It may be worth inquiring with the others. If they are able and willing to answer questions by e-mail, their addresses might be added to ALDHA's Companion.

Questions only they themselves can answer or those they are in a better position to answer would be best sent to them, but I don't know how much time they may be willing to devote to answering e-mail.

People who seek such detailed information and are willing to travel hundreds of miles to take a walk ought to learn to use directory assistance and their telephones.

emerald
01-03-2011, 13:08
Emerald... Basically we are talking vandalism & theft of objects from cars.

Your information sheds little light on the matter at hand. My suggestion for those who didn't grasp my post about security at Port Clinton and Hamburg trailheads was to telephone the State Police at Hamburg and ask them about that issue specifically.

I don't care to know and am not willing to spend my time researching it. Those who are interested should spend their time and post what they have learned for the benefit of others who may be interested.

emerald
01-03-2011, 13:16
http://www.appalachiantrail.org

Detailed and well-organized information about trailhead parking is linked there.

Don H
01-03-2011, 19:41
AT parking info
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

emerald
01-03-2011, 21:59
Now what exactly have we accomplished for all our trouble?

Bumpa
01-04-2011, 00:00
Now what exactly have we accomplished for all our trouble?

What trouble, surely one of the points of a site such as this is the sharing
of information.

I assure you that those of us willing to drive hundreds of miles for a walk are usually quite capable of using a phone. However, sometimes it is advantageous to get the
thoughts of people who have used the area as opposed to someone manning a
phone in an office who may not have first hand knowledge of the area.

Sorry that the question has rubbed you the wrong way...others seem to have
entered into the spirit of an innocent question. Why keep responding to it if it
irritates you.

Don H
01-04-2011, 09:53
Always happy to help a fellow hiker!

There's lots of information here that you can access either by searching past posts, reading the articles and asking questions.

Hope you enjoy your hike!

horicon
01-04-2011, 10:35
I had no problems parking their in 2010 November.

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-04-2011, 13:08
Is there a safe place to leave a car in Port Clinton for 4 or 5 days??

See Fred and Anna Kaufman local trail angels who live at 75 Penn Street in Port Clinton. Hiker staying at the church pavilion usually get water there and Fred & Anna will usually let you park on their property if you ask nice:) The Port Clinton Hotel may have thier number as I believe Fred's daughter works there. Would not suggest any other areas to park long term, not even at designated trail heads, too many thiefs know them as well.

Sly
01-04-2011, 15:33

From what I understand there's a new Walmart next to Cabela's. If it's a 24 hour store you could probably park there without worry.