PDA

View Full Version : Older Female Thru-hikers

Gray Lady
12-30-2010, 15:26
After a lifetime of dreaming of this, I will be starting my thru-hike in mid-March--and will be turning 62 one month later. I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on how to maximize my chance of success as an older female hiker. I am starting in mid-March to give myself as much time as possible to complete the hike, as I am worried about over-use injuries from pushing too hard. Other tips? Thoughts about what to do--or not do?

kayak karl
12-30-2010, 15:37
After a lifetime of dreaming of this, I will be starting my thru-hike in mid-March--and will be turning 62 one month later. I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on how to maximize my chance of success as an older female hiker. I am starting in mid-March to give myself as much time as possible to complete the hike, as I am worried about over-use injuries from pushing too hard. Other tips? Thoughts about what to do--or not do?
Redhat hiked last year. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6738

Puppy
12-30-2010, 15:45
Go at your own speed.

Make sure to get protein - I started to take a scoop of protein powder mixed with water as soon as I finished hiking each day - it makes a huge difference on your leg recovery for the next day.

I did mail drop/bump box with proten powder to make sure I could get it.

Have fun !

tzbrown
12-30-2010, 17:26
Welcome to the forum :welcome

There is a gold mind of information and advice here.

Don't try to do to much to fast as you start out. And remember, you don't have to do it all at one time. If it stops being fun take a break.

I have been hiking on the AT for 10+ years and still have not completed all of it. The best part, is the people you will meet, and I get to meet new ones every year.

Good Luck HYOH

TZ

corialice81
12-30-2010, 17:33
Redhat hiked last year. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6738

I second contacting Red Hat. I had the opportunity to hike with her in Maine. She is a wonderful lady. A trail legend if I may be so bold!

Also, contact the Tag Team from 09, Tagless and Tagalong. They were my trail parents while hiking. Wealth of information.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7755

So excited for you!

Jim Adams
12-30-2010, 18:01
Go slow, take your time and enjoy every step that you can. Most older hikers ( I am 57) get discouraged due to injuries from trying too much too soon or because they can't keep up with the youngsters and feel like they are falling behind. I used to hike very fast and loved it as it afforded alot of zero days for me...now I get pissed at my slower pace until I realized that I probably never will get faster so I enjoy every view, every step, every camp. It is definitely a mind thing...slow isn't bad...it's more interesting. It took me a while to learn that. Anyway, contacting Redhat is a great idea. Learn much prior to your hike and then just enjoy the walk. Good luck.
geek

Spirit Walker
12-30-2010, 18:26
Hiking poles will help your knees and make things like creek crossings and fallen trees easier to deal with. They will also prevent a lot of falls from tripping over rocks. Take ibuprofen before going to bed (about 1/2 hour before) even if you don't feel strong pain. It will allow you to go to sleep, which minor muscle aches might prevent. If you are planning to sleep in the shelters, then bring a good sleeping pad. Those wooden floors can be hard to deal with. Similarly, if you shelter, bring ear plugs. Light pack - not ultralight, at least starting out, but as light as is consistent with safety and your level of comfort. Finally, do as much hiking and other conditioning as you can between now and your start date. The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy those first few weeks, and the better chance you will have of finishing the journey.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2010, 18:29
I've meet and hiked with some pretty tough old ladies on the trail.

You might want to start a little later than mid March. Waiting just 2 more weeks until April 1st or there abouts can make a significant improvement in the weather. Bad weather at the start of a thruhike is a big factor in people quiting early. Hopefully you are flexable enough in the schedule to make that call when the time comes given the conditions and forcast at the time. If there is a lot of late season snow in NC like last year, you will want to start later.

Take every chance you can to do slack packing. This can run into some extra money, but lets you go a little farther and faster then you otherwise might with a full pack. Consider it a working vacation where you get to spend an extra day or two at the hostel and bulk up eating real food.

Most importantly, get in good shape before you leave! Work out in the gym, walk as much as possible and find a tall building and climb thier stairs a couple times a week. (You might have to cross the river to Boston to do that :-)

Finally - never, ever try to keep up with the youngsters!

I'm planing on starting another long section hike at Springer late March, so might meet up with you at some point.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 18:49
Honestly I would start as early as possible to give you a better chance to complete the trail. That way you can take time with low miles to start, take the zeros you need in towns to recuperate, etc.

Red Hat
12-30-2010, 18:53
First, thanks to KK and Grommet for the exaggerated kudos. I am just another old hiker. I hiked from GA to ME last year, but got off when I reached a final section (from 3rd mtn to Katahdin) that I had already done. Take it slow like everyone says. I disagree about the gym, though. Just get out and walk. Lots! It will be tough the first week or so in GA no matter what kind of training you do beforehand.

Get your pack as light as you can to start. Don't sacrifice your safety, but don't take luxuries. Use trekking poles. Go to town to warm up, eat, and rest. Don't try to keep up with the younguns (you'll be tempted because they are so much fun)

Have someone you can call to encourage you when you are down. I called Heartfire from NY when I wanted to go home and she told me to get my rear back out there for myself and for all the hikers depending on me.

I took some road walks and blueblazes when I was hurting and wanting to quit. That kept me moving along instead of going home. I also didn't apply for 2000 miler status because I can't say that I hiked the whole AT. I feel like I did what I needed to do. There are a couple of places I missed that I wiill go back and hike.

Most of all, be kind, keep your head, and have fun.

10-K
12-30-2010, 18:56
First, thanks to KK and Grommet for the exaggerated kudos. I am just another old hiker..

Please tell me 63 isn't old...

kayak karl
12-30-2010, 18:59

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur

kayak karl
12-30-2010, 19:01
You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur

but my favorite of all.........
Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone. ~Jim Fiebig

10-K
12-30-2010, 19:04
but my favorite of all.........
Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone. ~Jim Fiebig

That's a good one...

I'm about to turn 50 and I'm just getting warmed up. I'd hate to think I've only got 10-15 more good years. (of course you never know what tomorrow might bring, but you know what I mean....)

Red Hat
12-30-2010, 19:05
Please tell me 63 isn't old... it may not be old, but it sure isn't young.... I'm always thinking about my next adventure. this year I want to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain... then next year the Israeli trail. But I plan on spending a good bit of time around the AT giving back.

10-K
12-30-2010, 19:06
But, back to the topic at hand - the best overall advice I could give to any prospective hiker is this:

Stop at the first sign of foot trouble and take care of it.

SouthMark
12-30-2010, 19:12

God I hope not!

kayak karl
12-30-2010, 19:15
But, back to the topic at hand - the best overall advice I could give to any prospective hiker is this:

Stop at the first sign of foot trouble and take care of it.
my feet hurt on the approach trail.LOL many people say shakedown hikes are worthless, this time of year i think they are great. make it now you can make it then.

10-K
12-30-2010, 19:18
it may not be old, but it sure isn't young.... I'm always thinking about my next adventure. this year I want to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain... then next year the Israeli trail. But I plan on spending a good bit of time around the AT giving back.

A few years ago the same 67 year old man finished right in front of me 3 5k races in a row. I know the body ages and all that but I do think you can "make yourself old in the head" and really limit yourself that way.

Even at my age I have friends who are begging off doing things because they feel like they're too old to do them.

SouthMark
12-30-2010, 19:31
I met Red Hat in Damascus when I had breakfast with her and Larry Riddle. My hat's off to her. A remarkable lady.

4shot
12-30-2010, 20:23

but the good news is that it tended to be the younger folks that suffer from over use injuries. Those of us over 50 tend to listen to our bodies maybe a little more and not get caught up in the "race". Take your time especially early on, take zero's or nero's as required and remember you can flip your hike if needed. I spent some time hiking this year with a retired lady who was 59 and she was a very efficient, slow but determined hiker and she sumitted a few days before me. I wish you nothing but success and joy on your upcoming hike.

Turtle Feet
12-30-2010, 20:35
Gray Lady - I'll be starting on the 13th of March (and turning 52 on the trail). I hope we cross paths out there! I'm pretty locked-in on the date as I already have my flight booked and a room at the Hikers Hostel.

I'm thinking mid-March gives me a good amount of time to finish, but also keeping the option of a flip-flop open. As long as I finish I really don't care what it takes!

tf

SouthMark
12-30-2010, 20:47

Just remember Emma Gatewood was 67 when she first hiked it. She packed light and took her time. Get yourself a couple of Cho-pat knee braces as preventive medicine for the steep descents along with your hiking poles and you should be fine. Good luck. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Gray Lady
12-30-2010, 21:30
Thanks for all of the good advice, especially about taking it slow (and taking ibuprofen before bed!!). I'm a runner (5 miles a day/5 days a week) and have been hiking in the White Mountains for years and am in quite good shape physically. However, a thru-hike is a whole different endeavor and I am excited and nervous. And thanks, too, Red Hat, for reaching out. I will definitely get in touch.

Roland
12-30-2010, 21:32
Thanks for all of the good advice, especially about taking it slow (and taking ibuprofen before bed!!). I'm a runner (5 miles a day/5 days a week) and have been hiking in the White Mountains for years and am in quite good shape physically. However, a thru-hike is a whole different endeavor and I am excited and nervous. And thanks, too, Red Hat, for reaching out. I will definitely get in touch.

You may be in better shape than many who set out to hike the Trail. Start off slow. Listen to your body. You'll be fine.

Best of Luck!

sbhikes
12-30-2010, 21:46
62 isn't old. Enjoy your hike!

DapperD
12-30-2010, 22:05
After a lifetime of dreaming of this, I will be starting my thru-hike in mid-March--and will be turning 62 one month later. I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on how to maximize my chance of success as an older female hiker. I am starting in mid-March to give myself as much time as possible to complete the hike, as I am worried about over-use injuries from pushing too hard. Other tips? Thoughts about what to do--or not do?Keep your overall pack weight down. Take it slow and easy when first starting out. This is when you can push too far, too fast, too often and easily become injured or burnt out. Eat as well as you can. Don't be afraid to take time off from the trail, especially if you feel the need to. And don't get caught up in other hiker's mentality. Hike your own hike, at your own pace and your own way. If other's are going too fast for your own ability, then let them go. Enjoy yourself and take it one day at a time out there. Remember you are out there because you want to be. And feel free to brag a little to those at home. You certainly will deserve to.:sun

BrianLe
12-30-2010, 22:29
I strongly recommend one or more relatively long "shakedown" hikes prior, using as close as you can to the exact gear mix you plan to take on the trail. I suggest you shoot for 50 miles (or more), going solo on whatever trail is convenient for you to do this. Take a little notebook and take notes at the end of each day on trail of changes you want to consider to gear and process, and things you want to research in general when you get back home.

It's a lot easier to make bigger adjustments ahead of time, though of course (especially if money isn't a big constraint) you indeed can make adjustments on the thru-hike itself (and inevitably will make some at least).

Related too is doing some significant walking at home. For the AT in particular, I'd include some hill walking, or stair drills, or a stairmaster type torture device at your local gym.

Smile
12-30-2010, 22:46
Start slow, then go a little slower till you're body is adjusted.
Most importantly, SMILE when you wake up - first thing! It will effect each day..... :)

Red Hat
12-31-2010, 11:34
I'm a runner (5 miles a day/5 days a week) and have been hiking in the White Mountains for years and am in quite good shape physically.

If you can do the whites, you'll be fine! Climbing all those rocks wore me out. I laugh about the difference in parents. Down south parents would say "get off that rock before you fall and break your neck". Up in NH, they say "come on, you can climb higher than that". I was amazed by all the little ones climbing in the whites!

Roland
12-31-2010, 11:39
If you can do the whites, you'll be fine! Climbing all those rocks wore me out. I laugh about the difference in parents. Down south parents would say "get off that rock before you fall and break your neck". Up in NH, they say "come on, you can climb higher than that". I was amazed by all the little ones climbing in the whites!

If you told everyone in NH to "get off the rock", the Granite State would be desolate. :D

Hampton Beach would be crowded.

DustyBottom
12-31-2010, 11:49
I'm starting the first of April. My first attempt. I too will turn 62 2 months later. So any advice you get , pass it on.

Thatguy
12-31-2010, 12:01
I don't think 63 is old. Is 80 old? This past year a man named Lew Hollander ran the IRONMAN Triathlon. That's swimming 2.4 miles, then a 112 mile bike ride and then running a 26 mile marathon. You have 17 hours to complete the race. Lew Hollander did it in under 15 hours. That means at 80 years old he passed up many younger runners. http://ironman.com/columns/ironmanlife/matthew-dale-profiles-the-amazing-80-year-old-ironman-finisher#axzz19hmiV6h9
There's even an 80 year old woman called Sister Madonna Buder who is 80 and does Ironman Triathlon races and completes them.
I only mention this to say that age really doesn't matter and I find these people inspiring. We're all getting older.
I think attitude is everything. I'm asked why I would hike the AT at my age and I'm 51 and I say what does age have to do with anything?

Rain Man
12-31-2010, 12:06
62 isn't old. Enjoy your hike!

Just what I was thinking, so ... DITTO!!!

Rain:sunMan

sonic
12-31-2010, 18:48
it may not be old, but it sure isn't young.... I'm always thinking about my next adventure. this year I want to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain... then next year the Israeli trail. But I plan on spending a good bit of time around the AT giving back.
:bananaOh, Boy, Red Hat. I hope you do a trail journal from the Camino de Santiago. I would sure love following along on that one too.

Datto
12-31-2010, 20:33
I second the idea of starting a little later to have better weather at the start of a northbound AT thru-hike.

I started April 10th, took opportunities for long naps every day, took many side trips off-trail (Washington, DC and Gettysburg, PA for example), lollygaged with enjoyable zeros in town on many occasions and finished my thru-hike on October 21st.

Here's my belief on the top three reasons why people stop their thru-hike (rated with Number 1 being the most common):

1) It wasn't what was expected. I've found this to easily be the number one reason people leave the Trail on a thru-hike. To overcome this, prior to the start of your thru-hike you should get out for several multi-day hikes, preferably week-long hikes (not camping, but instead, hikes of say 10 miles every day for several days in a row with several days of overnight stay in the woods). If you really want to be well-prepared, do your prep hikes in the rain because it's highly likely you'll be hiking in the rain much of the time if you're a northbound AT thru-hiker. Also note that I hiked with a few people who did no preparation at all -- just "showed up" -- and they finished their thru-hike. Even with that, I still think preparation is a better way but I am a planner type.

2) Some people, quite a few actually, could not deal with being alone so much of the day on the AT. When you do your prep hikes, if the weather in your area is not too severe this time of the year, see if you can do them alone. Just you, yourself and you out in the woods alone for several days at a time. Then imagine yourself hiking alone quite a bit of the time on the AT. Oh sure, you'll see other people occasionally during the day, particularly on the southern AT, but as you go further north the number of people diminish and you'll likely be alone more frequently.

3) Quite a few leave their thru-hike because they ran out of money. As I've mentioned elsewhere, if you're on a budget for your northbound thru-hike you should have half your budget still available when you enter Connecticut.

You'll find the AT is a microcosm of society -- people from varied walks of life and lifestyles show up to thru-hike the AT. Hair dressers, history teachers, Army generals, computer people, FBI agents, carpenters, furniture salespeople. Seniors, recent college grads, people just out of high-school, middle agers, the recent divorced, the recently married. All show up with the desire for adventure and the willingness to walk 2100+ miles.

It's an amazing adventure. The biggest surprise for me? Just how nice people in America are naturally. It's way different than how the world is presented on the Nightly News. Maybe after 1000 miles or so you start understanding the idea that things are different on the Appalachian Trail and your appreciation of that difference grows all the way to Katahdin.

I talked with a thru-hiker who had preceded me -- she had mentioned that she had taken a month or two to assimilate back into "regular" society after her thru-hike. I've found that to be the case for me as well as many other AT thru-hikers. You might want to take that into account as you plan your AT thru-hike.

Here are a few other suggestions:

1) As you travel north, you'll begin to understand what an incredible feat of humanity it was to get the AT built in the first place. Then, it will eventually dawn on you what it must take to keep the AT cleared and useable. When you see someone working on the Trail -- you'll have ample opportunities -- just thank them for their efforts as you hike past.

2) Take lots of photographs, particularly of the people you meet along the Trail. Take every opportunity to get a group photo taken. Your photos will be invaluable to you later on in your life as you look back to see what a fun and meaningful time you had on the Appalachian Trail.

3) If you're able, attend The Ruck in Pennsylvania in January after your thru-hike (has been held at Pine Grove Furnace at the end of January in past years). There will be a few upcoming thru-hikers there who will have the same thru-hiker questions that you have right now -- you'll be able to help them out with your opinions and viewpoints and experiences.

4) Plan to attend the Trail Days after your thru-hike. It'll be great fun and you'll see several people from the Trail that you had met or hiked with during your own thru-hike.

5) If you can, plan to take a month off after the end of your AT thru-hike to get adjusted and gently "assimilated" back into society. Trust me when I say your friends back home are not going to want to talk about the AT near as much as you are going to want to talk about the AT. Things like running water from a spigot and a refrigerator full of food are not going to be seen as precious commodities by your friends and family. Driving down an Interstate at 65 mph might be seen as "a hair raising experience". Ha.

Oh well, I could go on and on but it would take away from the surprise and experience if I did.

Have a fabulous time on the AT this year.

Datto

Bags4266
12-31-2010, 20:51
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abe Lincoln

Snowleopard
12-31-2010, 22:06
Get into a routine of moderate overall body strengthening and stretching. My experience is that when I don't do this I'm at greater risk of injury than I was 40 years ago. As a runner, you probably know more about exercise and stretching than I do.

Minimize the weight you carry, especially at first. An advantage of starting a bit later is that you'll need a bit less warm clothes. Have knowledgeable people go over your gear and cut out as much as you safely can; there's an outfitter near the beginning of the AT that does this for thru-hikers ( anyone remember the name?).

Go on as many steep trail walks carrying a pack of the weight you expect to carry -- you're in Cambridge, so the walk up and down in the Blue Hills or Mt. Wachusett or Monadnock (Wachusett and Monadnock will likely have ice and snow till March). If you don't use two hiking poles, start now to save your knees.

You're starting out much fitter than many people who finish, so you should be fine. Have fun!!

Roland
12-31-2010, 22:16
Very nice post, Datto. Good information and well written.

Roland
12-31-2010, 22:18
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abe Lincoln

A timely message as I look back at 2010 and think about what I will do differently in 2011.

DapperD
01-01-2011, 13:08
I second the idea of starting a little later to have better weather at the start of a northbound AT thru-hike.

I started April 10th, took opportunities for long naps every day, took many side trips off-trail (Washington, DC and Gettysburg, PA for example), lollygaged with enjoyable zeros in town on many occasions and finished my thru-hike on October 21st.

Here's my belief on the top three reasons why people stop their thru-hike (rated with Number 1 being the most common):

1) It wasn't what was expected. I've found this to easily be the number one reason people leave the Trail on a thru-hike. To overcome this, prior to the start of your thru-hike you should get out for several multi-day hikes, preferably week-long hikes (not camping, but instead, hikes of say 10 miles every day for several days in a row with several days of overnight stay in the woods). If you really want to be well-prepared, do your prep hikes in the rain because it's highly likely you'll be hiking in the rain much of the time if you're a northbound AT thru-hiker. Also note that I hiked with a few people who did no preparation at all -- just "showed up" -- and they finished their thru-hike. Even with that, I still think preparation is a better way but I am a planner type.

2) Some people, quite a few actually, could not deal with being alone so much of the day on the AT. When you do your prep hikes, if the weather in your area is not too severe this time of the year, see if you can do them alone. Just you, yourself and you out in the woods alone for several days at a time. Then imagine yourself hiking alone quite a bit of the time on the AT. Oh sure, you'll see other people occasionally during the day, particularly on the southern AT, but as you go further north the number of people diminish and you'll likely be alone more frequently.

3) Quite a few leave their thru-hike because they ran out of money. As I've mentioned elsewhere, if you're on a budget for your northbound thru-hike you should have half your budget still available when you enter Connecticut.

You'll find the AT is a microcosm of society -- people from varied walks of life and lifestyles show up to thru-hike the AT. Hair dressers, history teachers, Army generals, computer people, FBI agents, carpenters, furniture salespeople. Seniors, recent college grads, people just out of high-school, middle agers, the recent divorced, the recently married. All show up with the desire for adventure and the willingness to walk 2100+ miles.

It's an amazing adventure. The biggest surprise for me? Just how nice people in America are naturally. It's way different than how the world is presented on the Nightly News. Maybe after 1000 miles or so you start understanding the idea that things are different on the Appalachian Trail and your appreciation of that difference grows all the way to Katahdin.

I talked with a thru-hiker who had preceded me -- she had mentioned that she had taken a month or two to assimilate back into "regular" society after her thru-hike. I've found that to be the case for me as well as many other AT thru-hikers. You might want to take that into account as you plan your AT thru-hike.

Here are a few other suggestions:

1) As you travel north, you'll begin to understand what an incredible feat of humanity it was to get the AT built in the first place. Then, it will eventually dawn on you what it must take to keep the AT cleared and useable. When you see someone working on the Trail -- you'll have ample opportunities -- just thank them for their efforts as you hike past.

2) Take lots of photographs, particularly of the people you meet along the Trail. Take every opportunity to get a group photo taken. Your photos will be invaluable to you later on in your life as you look back to see what a fun and meaningful time you had on the Appalachian Trail.

3) If you're able, attend The Ruck in Pennsylvania in January after your thru-hike (has been held at Pine Grove Furnace at the end of January in past years). There will be a few upcoming thru-hikers there who will have the same thru-hiker questions that you have right now -- you'll be able to help them out with your opinions and viewpoints and experiences.

4) Plan to attend the Trail Days after your thru-hike. It'll be great fun and you'll see several people from the Trail that you had met or hiked with during your own thru-hike.

5) If you can, plan to take a month off after the end of your AT thru-hike to get adjusted and gently "assimilated" back into society. Trust me when I say your friends back home are not going to want to talk about the AT near as much as you are going to want to talk about the AT. Things like running water from a spigot and a refrigerator full of food are not going to be seen as precious commodities by your friends and family. Driving down an Interstate at 65 mph might be seen as "a hair raising experience". Ha.

Oh well, I could go on and on but it would take away from the surprise and experience if I did.

Have a fabulous time on the AT this year.

Datto

Very nice post, Datto. Good information and well written.Truly great advice!:sun

Turtle2
01-01-2011, 17:29
I hiked with Mark and Twain in 2006. They were in their mid 60s (husband & wife) and started Aug 8 southbound at Katahdin thinking to do the north half of the trail that year and finish in 2007. They took things at a steady pace. In short, they finished on January 14 with 3 weeks off to move Mark's mother to Florida for the winter.

Here is Twain carrying Mark's pack down into Gorham ME while he went back down the trail to find a lost camera. We shared that duty and she did better than I at the carry.

Over sixty is not old.

hikingshoes
01-05-2011, 14:12
Go slow, take your time and enjoy every step that you can. Most older hikers ( I am 57) get discouraged due to injuries from trying too much too soon or because they can't keep up with the youngsters and feel like they are falling behind. I used to hike very fast and loved it as it afforded alot of zero days for me...now I get pissed at my slower pace until I realized that I probably never will get faster so I enjoy every view, every step, every camp. It is definitely a mind thing...slow isn't bad...it's more interesting. It took me a while to learn that. Anyway, contacting Redhat is a great idea. Learn much prior to your hike and then just enjoy the walk. Good luck.
geek

I like this!!I have to say when my GF and i was headed up to Springer,i was gone until she said why you running(which i wasnt)but she 5'2'' and im 5'11'',so now i let her in front.It works really well that away.Good Luck on your Hike!!HS:banana

Flutewalker
01-05-2011, 17:15
I will be on the trail March 14- I am 57- maybe I will see you there
Flutewalker

Gray Lady
01-05-2011, 17:23
I'll definitely look for you, Flutewalker. I am planning to start on March 15.

Chillfactor
01-05-2011, 18:03
62 is NOT old in my opinion. Older than many hikers, but young in spirit and that's what counts. I'm 57 and considered myself "old" with hikers less than half my age. I felt they'd never get to Maine because I was keeping up with them. It turned out I was doing pretty good!
You can't go too slowly or enjoy the sights for long periods of time. Food and water are the determining factors of how fast you have to go.
A one way plane ticket is a definite way to keep from quitting, and I didn't have a cell phone to call for a rescue party.
I walked periodically with Zeus from Massachusetts. He was 82 and will be completing the trail this summer. He was amazing but all hikers are amazing in some respect. Even old lady hikers....

Stir Fry
01-05-2011, 19:21
That's a good one...

I'm about to turn 50 and I'm just getting warmed up. I'd hate to think I've only got 10-15 more good years. (of course you never know what tomorrow might bring, but you know what I mean....)
I turned 52 doing my thru in 3 years. after i retire. 62 an't old. I hope I have 30 good years of hiking ahead of me after I retire. I have run into several in ther 80's doing long section hikes.

jesse
01-05-2011, 22:26
I concentrate on starting, and not give finishing much thought. I you complete the entire trail, great. If you don't, well you still have had quite an adventure.

Ladytrekker
01-05-2011, 23:26

First off jealous and second are you going to do a journal I would love to follow your hike. Do you know about www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com).

And if you need any help I do scribing for Hammock Hanger when she hikes and would volunteer to help you keep it up on your thru.

Grampie
01-06-2011, 12:11
I did my thru at age 66. I was amazed at the amount of older folks I met on the trail.
My suggestions, along with all the others, would be: Take it slow, in the begining. keep your days under 10 miles. You will know when you can increase your mileage. Take a "0" day every 5 days or so. Eat even when you don't feel like it. Take a break every 2 hours and eat something. Your feet are important. Do all you can to prevent blisters. I would advise you to walk bare foot as much as possiable before you start to toughen up your feet.
You can do it..Happy trails.

DapperD
01-10-2011, 02:56
I did my thru at age 66. I was amazed at the amount of older folks I met on the trail.
My suggestions, along with all the others, would be: Take it slow, in the begining. keep your days under 10 miles. You will know when you can increase your mileage. Take a "0" day every 5 days or so. Eat even when you don't feel like it. Take a break every 2 hours and eat something. Your feet are important. Do all you can to prevent blisters. I would advise you to walk bare foot as much as possiable before you start to toughen up your feet.
You can do it..Happy trails.Sounds like great advice for anybody! Congrats on completing a thru-hike!:sun

cold kettle
01-11-2011, 10:06
Gray Lady I would never presume to tell my elders anything - I won't be 62 until August! My start date is 3/22, hope to see you on the trail!

Gray Lady
01-12-2011, 16:26
I'll be looking for you. Hope there isn't too much snow!