PDA

View Full Version : Hitch-hiking from Newfound to Clingmans Dome

Road runner
12-30-2010, 17:07
I plan to hike the section from Clingmans Dome to Newfound Gap on Sunday, March 20. I would like to be on the trail by 8:00 am. I would like to park at Newfound Gap and hitch-hike to Clingmans Dome and then hike back to my car. How easy will it be to hitch a ride that early on a Sunday in March?

Luddite
12-30-2010, 17:38
Its pretty easy hitchhiking around the smokies. You might not even have to stick your thumb out, there will probably be people parked at Newfound gap you can walk up to and ask for a ride. Its probably not going to be as busy on a Sunday though.

corialice81
12-30-2010, 17:42
It depends on weather.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2010, 17:51
It depends on weather.

correct. the road to clingmans might be closed

Bearpaw
12-30-2010, 17:56
It will be impossible to do in March. NPS closes the road every year from December 1 until April 1 of the next year. NPS road closures in GSMNP (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm) .

Consider hiking the road up to Clingman's Dome. It's actually a very peaceful walk with a number of good views when there are no cars on the road.

Pioneer Spirit
12-30-2010, 18:56
Correct on the road closure. I hiked that section in early April of '09. It was shirtsleave weather that day and completely fridgid and iced-in the next day. There were a lot of road closures and repairs around the park last year, so many that I cancelled my hiking plans all together. Check the park site too.

I may be there in early April again this year.

10-K
12-30-2010, 19:22
Hitching in the Smokies is fun - you never know who'll pick you up. A few months ago when my wife and I hike the MST section in the park we were picked up once by a bunch of retired guys from Alabama on their way to hike the AT - interesting group. Second hitch was from a couple on their 20th wedding anniversary and told us the story of how they met and all that.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 20:25
Road will still be closed then.

Bidwell
01-06-2011, 10:39
Yeah - hitching in the Smokies is easy. I've gotten rides several times, and I've picked up several folks now and then. Good friendly people IMO.

But yeah, if the weather is bad and the road is closed, could be tough.

I know I just repeated what everyone else said, but hey, thought I'd throw my hat into the ring :-)

LoneRidgeRunner
01-06-2011, 11:52
It will be impossible to do in March. NPS closes the road every year from December 1 until April 1 of the next year. NPS road closures in GSMNP (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm) .

Consider hiking the road up to Clingman's Dome. It's actually a very peaceful walk with a number of good views when there are no cars on the road.

The AT pretty much runs along side Clingman's Dome Road much of the way. Many places you could trow a rock from the trail to the road. A few spots you can even see the road from the trail. If I was gonna walk it both ways I'd just do it on the trail.