PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Mountainsmith

jtbradyl
12-30-2010, 18:01
I called customer support and got a recording asking the caller to leave a phone # etc. and they would call back. No call back. I think I called a few months ago and the same thing happened.

Roland
12-30-2010, 18:02
From their website:

Mountainsmith:

701 Pine Ridge Rd.
Golden, Colorado 80403
Product Support:

phone 1.800.551.5889
fax 303.278.7739
email Ask Mountainsmith (http://www.mountainsmith.com/askMountainsmith.asp)

jtbradyl
12-30-2010, 18:35
+they don't seem very responsive, like they are disappearing or something. i called maybe in 2006 and talked to someone.

peakbagger
12-31-2010, 06:46
IMHO I expect like a lot of formerly good brands, they "sold out" many years ago and went the route of attaching their name to contracted goods made offshore (vietnam?). I expect about all they have for a US operation is a advertising, warehouse, distribution and an accounting department to make sure the profits get routed to some nameless owner. Its too bad, they used to make innovative stuff. Unless you work for backpacker, I wouldnt expect a call back. :(

The Solemates
12-31-2010, 11:43
mountainsmith has sold out and is no longer a quality brand. i was in a large sporting chain store last night and they had sleeping bags selling in cardboard boxes, completely compressed. why anyone would by a bag that has been stored compressed in a cardboard box is bad....similar to say, slumberjack or some similar brand

Roland
12-31-2010, 11:47
mountainsmith has sold out and is no longer a quality brand. i was in a large sporting chain store last night and they had sleeping bags selling in cardboard boxes, completely compressed. why anyone would by a bag that has been stored compressed in a cardboard box is bad....similar to say, slumberjack or some similar brand

Are you sure it was Mountainsmith?

The products link (http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp) on their website does not show sleeping bags.

Spogatz
01-01-2011, 16:52
I have one of their big lumbar packs with the shoulder straps and I love it. It is very well made and big enough to be useful on the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2011, 17:23
The company was sold, but that was back in 1999. It is privately held. I don't think ownership has changed since then. It's a small company (listed as having 10 to 20 employees), with most product manufacturing likely outsourced to contract manufacturers. Like most other businesses, I'm sure it has cut back in some areas due to the recession (someone should inform everyone that the government says it's over:rolleyes:). When businesses cut back, one of the first places they look is in non-direct costs, which includes some areas of customer service, especially having humans answering every phone call. I'd call back and make a pest of myself. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

The Solemates
01-03-2011, 11:31
Are you sure it was Mountainsmith?

The products link (http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp) on their website does not show sleeping bags.

positive. and i own a mountainsmith sleeping bag, bought before they sold out, so I know they at least use to make them.

Mags
01-03-2011, 12:09
Mountain Smith (along with such companies as Kelty) will sell their branded gear to such places as Target, Dick's, etc.

It is for those stores only and is not part of their normal gear selection.

ex.
http://www.google.com/search?q=target+kelty&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://www.google.com/search?q=mountain+smith+dick%3Bs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=TR8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=mountain+smith+dick%27s&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

jtbradyl
01-03-2011, 16:31
When I did not get a return phone call I used the site's email function and I did get a reply in two days. So that's good.

Tuckahoe
01-03-2011, 17:28

Meh. I see that as less of an issue for the named company and more an issue for the retailer. The reality is shipping and storing compressed and boxed is the best and most economic way of handling the product to the warehouse and retail outlet. How are sleeping bags handled by the flavor of the week companies?

Tuckahoe
01-03-2011, 17:36
This past summer I had a giftcard to a local outfitter and I ended up using it to buy a pair of trekking poles. Never used them and figured I would try them out.

I bought a set of Mountiansmith poles (Pyrite 7075), 1) because they were priced at what was on the giftcard and 2) For the simple reason that the company graphic had "smith" and a image of an anvil.

Well, it turns out that one of the poles was defective and I couldnt take them back to the store as I did not have the receipt. I called Mountiansmith seeking to return the one pole for warrenty work and the rep said that wouldnt be necessary and that they would send me another pole as a replacement. No fuss whatsoever.

Every company turns out a lemon, but its how they handle the lemon that tells you whether its a good company or not. I had no complaints.

TrailSquirrel
01-03-2011, 21:27
I called customer support and got a recording asking the caller to leave a phone # etc. and they would call back. No call back. I think I called a few months ago and the same thing happened.

I needed to replace a broken buckle on my 15+ year old daypack. I called about a montha ago and left info. They called right back. They sent me a replacement for free even when I offered to pay for it. Keep trying they may just be very busy. I don't buy into the "sold out" rap.