PDA

View Full Version : Bring In Time

Mother Natures Son
12-30-2010, 18:16
Just got a pair of mid-weight leather boots for work and the trail. How long does it take for a leather (or any type) boot to be broken in? Is there something that can speed up this process?

HiKen2011
12-30-2010, 18:17
Just got a pair of mid-weight leather boots for work and the trail. How long does it take for a leather (or any type) boot to be broken in? Is there something that can speed up this process?

Wear em.........:)

Luddite
12-30-2010, 18:20
Just wear them a lot or you could always use a boot stretcher on them.

Spirit Walker
12-30-2010, 18:21
For most all-leather boots, about 100 miles. OTOH, Lowas never gave me a blister, even brand new out of the box.

Slosteppin
12-30-2010, 20:47
About the time I started Boy Scouts (over 65 years ago) everyone I knew would soak their new boots in a tub of water for several hours. Then wear them until the boots were dry. Usually 2 or 3 days. By that time the boots would conform to the feet.

It has been many years since I've even thought about that old method. Now I would just thoroughly oil the boots and wear them several hours a day until they felt comfortable. That is if I wore leather hiking boots.

Except in cold and snowy winter weather I wear trail runners that don't need breaking in.

jeremesh
12-30-2010, 20:49
this is what i do with my leather sandals. Makes my wife a bit irate when I take the hundred dollar sandals she just bought me and stick them in the pool.

Roland
12-30-2010, 20:50
this is what i do with my leather sandals. Makes my wife a bit irate when I take the hundred dollar sandals she just bought me and stick them in the pool.

That's part of the fun of sticking 'em in the pool, isn't it? :D

ocourse
12-30-2010, 21:09
Please don't oil them or wet them. Many modern boots don't need treatment prior to wear. Just lace 'em on and wear them. Frequently change the lace tension for comfort while they are adjusting to your feet. Frequently take them off, even if only for a minute or so during use. Modern boots can be comfortable immediately, or can take a few days to be even tolerable.

jeremesh
12-30-2010, 21:15
That's part of the fun of sticking 'em in the pool, isn't it? :D

It might also explain why I havent gotten any new sandals in a while:rolleyes:

Roland
12-30-2010, 21:18
It might also explain why I havent gotten any new sandals in a while:rolleyes:

Well, my friend, you know the honeymoon is over when it's been a while since you've gotten any...

sandals!