PDA

View Full Version : Hiking The Trail In 2012!

Tude
12-30-2010, 22:04
Hey guys hope all is well an you all had a great christmas an yall will enjoy the new year! Reason Im here, is I got the greatest news...Ive been approved for a 7month leave of 2012 for me to hike the whole Trail!:bananaCould not ask for anything better! Things is Im new to the hardcore hiking...I usually hike on weekends an just camp an dont walk very far but love the outdoors...an have read so much about the trail an Ive always wanted to do it! An havent researched much untill I got approved an its for 2012...

So guys where do I begin? Is there anyone on here thats knows of a book or anyone thats wrote anything how to get stared from gear, to clothes, planing drop-off, food, shelter? All the help would be appreciated! You can message me if you like thanks so much!:sun

Roland
12-30-2010, 22:08
Welcome to WB, Tude.

Begin by perusing the articles (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366) section.

Then, you can use the search feature to look for specific topics. That will give you an excellent base. Ask questions to fill in the blanks.

Best of Luck!

Blissful
12-30-2010, 23:09
You're in the right place. Read all you can on articles, forums, etc. Plenty of books out there too on the adventure. And I would read the trail journals of other hikers at trailjournals.com

Tude
12-31-2010, 11:30
I belive someone was telling me that there is a guy on this site called "sarge" or something along that line...but he wrote a whole article on the trail from supplies, clothing, tents, pans, etc.etc.etc...several chapters on diffrent things...does anyone know of him or know of the article?

Roland
12-31-2010, 11:34
You may be talking about Sgt Rock.

Check the articles (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366) section I mentioned above. There is lots of good information there, by Rock and other WB members. That is the best place for you to start.

darkage
12-31-2010, 12:05
Hey tude, not sure when your start date is but i'll be starting around april 5th of 2012 .... like previous poster's said ... your in the right place ...

Tude
12-31-2010, 15:34
Yes that was him Sgt.Rock! Thanks! Ill look through it!

An thanks for the date, I havent set a for sure date yet...But I would like someone to partner up with an do the trail. Instead of doing it alone!

darkage
12-31-2010, 18:12
Depending on the date you choose, even starting alone doesn't mean you'll be alone out there, from what i understand ... about 30 a day start from georgia from march/april ... Most thru-hiker's i've met here while out in PA have said their partners are people they met up with early on in the trail ... There will be people slower than you, faster than you .. and people who hike the same speed and miles you do ... That won't be a problem for ya. Two from this season in fact, heaviest guy on the trail likely met up with a blind guy hiking the trail and they both hiked the same speed, another whiteblaze member smokestacks was heading too katadin with a guy named nate dogg ... they nailed down 20+ mpd and camped with them a night an we nailed down cumberland valley the next day ... so no matter what, you won't be alone ... and even if you hike alone for awhile ... each shelter will supply enough social life too keep it lively ... and if ya start around the time we do, you'd be welcome too join my brother and i .... we plan on starting with 10 mile days and increasing as we go ... normally put out around 15 miles ... more in the flatter states ... but cruise, but don't speed.

Tude
01-01-2011, 12:21
One question...Starting out from nothing...since I'm gonna get new gear an better gear than than the huge stuff I have I need light weight gear...But getting new stuff everything from shoes,food,tents..etc...how much will I have invested!

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-01-2011, 13:47
Hi Tude!
Welcome! Sounds like you are getting great advice already, eh!? It also sounds like you have already done some hiking, and kinda know what your hiking style is. If a piece of gear interests you, ask for opinions, and look for gear reviews online. Everyone has their own preferences, regarding what they feel is needed gear, weights of gear, and how much weight they want to carry. And then, of course, there is cost. You'd be surprised how creative the hiking community is, and how they trim costs. Check the site, ask questions, and you will get great responses from a variety of wonderful hikers. Give LOTS of thought to what you NEED. Then adjust from there. For example, footwear... I spent a lot of time trying to decide... I wanted to go light, so I wouldn't have to lift so much weight with each step, but went with a heavier boot with better ankle support, due to weak ankles. They were GREAT! ...and after getting some miles under my belt, I could go with something lighter, as I had toughened up. Anyway... It's all about having an enjoyable hike, so go for comfort, go for speed, whatever makes you a happy hiker/camper. Good luck, and God Bless!

darkage
01-01-2011, 15:44
Tude: Check out the gear for sale here on the forums for deals ... as well as say, steepandcheap.com,campmor.com,sierratradingpost.co m and the best of the best of sites, spadout.com where you can search for the gear you want and it will list websites that have it at the lowest price currently .... As for your question i can only give you an idea of what i have personally and the cost of the basics ...

Osprey atmos pack, $240 "retail"
Neoair large, $169 "retail" <--- much cheaper options available.
Sierra designs lightning 2 "Heavy but i like the room" onsale for $120
Montbell SS 1lb 9o "onsale" was like $230 or 240 ... Cheaper options avail like the down bags from campmor.com

Clothes can vary on preference so i'm not even going there ... but its a small investment but there are cheaper options that will hold up and make do ... my top 4 was simply what i own .... Keep checking spadout and steepandcheap ... you'll find sick deals ....

RGB
01-01-2011, 15:55
June 2012-er here. Ask if you have any questions about planning.

bwendel07
01-01-2011, 21:10
have been planning it for about 3 weeks now after my commitment will be starting the first week of March 2012 Have been on here for a while and it just seems like the right thing to do is post my first reply on this thread. I have alot of work to do but I have found everything I have wanted to ask on this Forum. A wonderful tool.

darkage
01-07-2011, 02:38
I am also dreaming of being in the class of 2012. Had wanted this to happen much sooner, but due to circumstances I will have to wait until then. Just praying that I will still be physically able to do it. I plan to start in April and hike Northbound. Have much to do before then. And much to research to be able to do it. Looking forward to this experience.

Its 90% mental, when your body is broken down and mind drifts and the negative thoughts begin too explode ... thats when you need too simply relax, gather your thoughts and remember .... its simply one foot in front of the other, take a day or two off ... recupe ... and truck on ... My daughter needs surgery for her scoliosis "might be mispelled" so i can't thru in '11 ... But she will be recovered long before my date in '12 ... she'll be my inspiration, knowing that she can get thro this ... i can walk my ass for 2200 miles ... she thinks its awesome and hopes one day she can join me on the trail ... but yeah, just remember ... its almost all mental games ... once you get past the first 2 weeks to 3 weeks, your legs turn mechanical .... you'll begin too function like a machine ... it will only get better.

Looped
01-07-2011, 15:59
A friend of mine and myself are in the early planning stages for a SOBO in 2012! We are a bit concerned about having to wait so long to start, but figure if we need to bail, we'd rather have to do it 'south' then north. He's from Fl, I'm from Oh.

Right or wrong, we're also hoping to get the 'hard' parts of it out of the way while we are 'young and dumb' (I'm gonna be 44 at that point so I guess I'm more the dumb side :) )

It's one of those bucket list things, a goal we have set since we are both starting a diet and exercise program very soon to spend the next year and a few months improving our lives in that respect. The SOBO hike will be our payoff. Plus as an added incentive, we are hoping to figure out a good way to 'walk for a cause' and try to raise some money for a couple of our favorite charities. So just wanted to throw our hats out there too. Hope to do some planning and learning with the rest of you leading up to 2012!!!

Sonno
01-07-2011, 16:34
A friend of mine and myself are in the early planning stages for a SOBO in 2012! We are a bit concerned about having to wait so long to start, but figure if we need to bail, we'd rather have to do it 'south' then north. He's from Fl, I'm from Oh.

Right or wrong, we're also hoping to get the 'hard' parts of it out of the way while we are 'young and dumb' (I'm gonna be 44 at that point so I guess I'm more the dumb side :) )

It's one of those bucket list things, a goal we have set since we are both starting a diet and exercise program very soon to spend the next year and a few months improving our lives in that respect. The SOBO hike will be our payoff. Plus as an added incentive, we are hoping to figure out a good way to 'walk for a cause' and try to raise some money for a couple of our favorite charities. So just wanted to throw our hats out there too. Hope to do some planning and learning with the rest of you leading up to 2012!!!

That other guy would be me. /wave
:D

DapperD
01-08-2011, 00:16
Hey guys hope all is well an you all had a great christmas an yall will enjoy the new year! Reason Im here, is I got the greatest news...Ive been approved for a 7month leave of 2012 for me to hike the whole Trail!:bananaCould not ask for anything better! Things is Im new to the hardcore hiking...I usually hike on weekends an just camp an dont walk very far but love the outdoors...an have read so much about the trail an Ive always wanted to do it! An havent researched much untill I got approved an its for 2012...

So guys where do I begin? Is there anyone on here thats knows of a book or anyone thats wrote anything how to get stared from gear, to clothes, planing drop-off, food, shelter? All the help would be appreciated! You can message me if you like thanks so much!:sunHere is a link to a thread of a book that I have reviewed here entitled "The A.T.-How to Prepare for and Hike It" by Jan Curran:http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60061 The book is good, and written by a guy who hiked the A.T. over the course of 2 seasons. In it is decent, basic advice you may find useful. There are also many other good books and also good articles found right here at Whiteblaze. Good Luck

Mockingbird
01-22-2011, 11:43
Hi all, I'm brand new to White Blaze. I have been planning a NOBO thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're interested, please contact me.

Mockingbird
01-23-2011, 20:45
Hi all, I'm brand new to White Blaze. I have been planning a NOBO thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're interested, please contact me.

Changed my start date to March 1st.

88BlueGT
04-07-2011, 16:55
Not sure if you have purchased any gear yet but just make sure you know and understand what you want and what you are buying. If you are thru-hiking your gear list should be carefully thought out. Try going out a few times and seeing what you can and can't live without. You don't want to be 'that' guy slumping his back over 40 miles into the trail because his bag has too much crap in it.

jelina
07-16-2011, 06:01
I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. The SOBO hike will be our payoff. Plus as an added incentive, we are hoping to figure out a good way to 'walk for a cause' and try to raise some money for a couple of our favorite charities.

NoBoHiker
09-26-2011, 14:45
What up everybody? I just received the Ay-ok from my school principal to graduate a semester early.. Which means I'm north bound in 2012! Anybody know how I can go about finding a trail partner? 6 months alone just seems... Lonely. Hit me up,- NoBoHiker

Traildog & Tbone
09-26-2011, 16:00
I too am preparing for a thru starting 4/1/12. Best advice I can give is dont get overwhelmed by all the choices we have now days on gear choice. Keep it light & simple with each piece of gear serving a few different uses. Do your research & ask questions but decide what works best for you. Try out your gear when you get it & get comfortable with it. Most of all have fun & dont forget to laugh at yourself when you fall down and dont feel like getting up.

wornoutboots
09-26-2011, 16:21
as far as your gear goes, look on trailjournals.com & search for current & past hikers with a lot of posts, which means they've made it or have been on trail for a long time. Then click on their "Gear" button, it will show you what they are carrying & this may be a good place to start. After reading through some of the journals, you may notice what has worked & what didn't

Rick Hines
03-20-2012, 01:04
When are you starting your hike? If you are starting in GA, you will need to start by April 15th. I am starting my hike around then. A little short notice to be just beginning to gather your gear. Make sure you get your 2012 AT Thru Hikers Companion. This is my first time hiking the entire trail as well. Hope to see you at Springer ! Happy Hiking !

So guys where do I begin? Is there anyone on here thats knows of a book or anyone thats wrote anything how to get stared from gear, to clothes, planing drop-off, food, shelter? All the help would be appreciated! You can message me if you like thanks so much!:sun

Big Dawg
03-20-2012, 01:37
A little short notice to be just beginning to gather your gear.

Tude's original post was Dec 2010. A little over a year is plenty of time to gather gear.

I wish the best to both of you! Enjoy your hike!!