PDA

View Full Version : light weight sleeping bag

C Seeker
12-31-2010, 10:26
I am looking for a new light weight small compactable sleeping bag for my thru-hike. I am planning on hiking from June-December, and will be hitting some winter weather down west in the GSMNP in November/ December. I would like a 15-20 degree bag for the whole hike and planning on adding a liner to the bag during the winter.
I'm not sure what type of bag I should get as I’m a really small person with very little fat so I get cold really easily when I sleep.
This is one bag that caught my eye, let me know what you think and I’m also up for other options. http://www.rei.com/product/780903
Thanks, C Seeker

Serial 07
12-31-2010, 11:14
i've never used that bag, but i brought an REI synthetic bag on my 07 thru and it worked out great...the price seems right too...this may be a good find for ya!

Red Hat
12-31-2010, 11:20
I strongly recommend shelling out the money for a Western Mountaineering bag. They are expensive, but they are worth it. I used mine from GA to ME last year, and in July in ME in 08. If it is warm, just use it like a blanket. Nothing else is as good for the weight.

Don H
12-31-2010, 11:27
How much are you willing to spend?
Mountaingear.com has a Marmot 15*, 900 fill bag, under 2 pounds for $419.
Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Mont Bell (check out the U.L. Super Spiral) are all good bags.
If you want small and compact you probably want down.
Get a bag that fits you, but not too tight. Leave room to wear some insulating clothing if needed.
Check the above companies websites for sizes, styles and specs.

bigcranky
12-31-2010, 11:29
Your avatar suggests you are a female type person, in which case the women's bag should offer more insulation in the footbox and a better overall shape:

http://www.rei.com/product/780921 (but this depends on your height.)

These REI bags are generally a good value -- my daughter has been using hers for years. If you are really cold all the time, then you'll probably be fine down to around freezing or the high 20s in this bag, IME.

A bag like this will work great for a sobo hike into October or even early November, but if you end up hiking in December in the South, I'm not sure that any liner will add enough warmth. But at that point you will know what you need to deal with it -- you can add clothing, a down jacket, etc., or you may be acclimated enough that your body can handle it.

bigcranky
12-31-2010, 11:31
(Oh, and I apologize if my assumption is incorrect.)

Toolshed
12-31-2010, 12:22
go to theclymb.com. Create an account. They have kelty on sale at 55% off right now.

Hoop
12-31-2010, 13:02
Check the WB used gear forum; somebody posted 2 WM bags for sale a couple of days ago. Can't recall which models.

grayfox
12-31-2010, 13:50
That is a great price on a Subkilo. It is a very nice bag. If you are under 5'2" you might lke the women's version which is a bit warmer--but short. I love my WM bag but the price of the REI bag is very good.

I have this REI Sahara: http://www.rei.com/product/798900 which I like a lot-warm, packable, durable. I use a liner though, either silk or WM down, depending on temps.

Buzz Saw
12-31-2010, 15:25
Eureka Casper 15 deg. 2lb. 15 oz. 8.5x 12in when compressed $49 at Cabela's on sale.

birdog
12-31-2010, 17:44
Try this:
Marmot Helium, 2 lbs 2 oz., $319.98. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555

58starter
12-31-2010, 18:18
Buzz Saw I have the Casper 15 Long and it weights a full 3 lbs and is nice and toasty and I paid in the $70 range.

garlic08
12-31-2010, 20:12
Ditto the Marmot Helium. Excellent bag.

Bags4266
12-31-2010, 21:02
I just got the Marmot Pinnacle, slightly heavier than the Helium but I must say it is one stuffed bag. I waited and waited searching online and finally found one for $215.00 shipped. It was worth the wait.

C Seeker
01-01-2011, 22:33
Thank you all for your advice I like Big Crankny and Birdog recommended bags. I will be weighing my options here soon and will be buying and testing it out.

skinewmexico
01-01-2011, 23:14
Make sure you check the EN rating on whatever bag you buy. Or buy a WM. As a woman, you should probably look at a +10 or 15 degree bag to say warm at 25.

trailangelbronco
01-01-2011, 23:58
go check out a site called "The Clymb". Get yourself the Kelty Light year Down, for $89.00, before the sale ends.

I have the male version and love it. Warm and light.

Johnny Thunder
01-02-2011, 00:55
i'm thin...even more so recently and i realize how much a lack of fat makes a huge difference in warmth.

look at the western mountaneering apache, the marmot helium, and the mountain hardwear phantom. all are similar in down fill weight (probably the most important factor in warmth) and materials.

the helium is cut a bit wider up top than the other two which can help and hurt in the situation. since it's slightly larger size spreads the down insulation a bit further (maybe making it thinner) it might be less warm. but the larger size allows me to wear my down clothing inside the bag without crushing the loft.

i think of the three the western bag is superior. i've owned a phantom, too and it was great. if you're thing and cold a warm bag is probably the most important piece of kit you'll own. consider a double-wall tent since it'll be more warm than the single wall tents.

kreate
01-02-2011, 01:16
Campmor 20* down. I love this bag. cheap and relativly light too.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

johnnyblisters
01-02-2011, 01:25
Campmor 20* down. I love this bag. cheap and relativly light too.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

I love my cheap campmor bag, its great!

leaftye
01-02-2011, 01:44
I was going to recommend the Campmor bag as a budget down bag. If you're willing to try something different, and can sew, I suggest checking out the thru-hiker.com quilt. Right now they have a kit that uses superlight Momentum 50 fabric. Since you make it yourself, you can add extra down to the baffles where you're coldest. Add a TiGoat bivy and you'll have a flexible lightweight sleeping kit. If you put together this kit, I suggest doing the footbox differently. I like it to have a zipper and drawcord so that you can completely open it up like a blanket for warm nights.

winland
01-02-2011, 13:39
I've got a similar REI bag. Warm and a good value. But tight across the chest. (I'm male - broad shouldered.)

Wish I had one of the Montbell SS ULs.

Get a bag rated for the temp you expect the most. Wear clothes (esp. a hat) for colder nights.

buz
01-03-2011, 11:39
I own a campmor 20 degree bag, and would say it is a good value, but not a true 20 degree bag, more like 30, at least for most people in our scout troop, we have like ten in the troop. I think your money would be better spent on a higher level bag, if you have some to spare, you won't regret it.

Spider
01-07-2011, 11:54
I just ordered one of those actually. I'm picking it up on the 15th and I'll let you know what I think. The only thing I'm concerned about is I've read a lot of reviews that say it's very cramped. Other than that I've only heard positive things. I'm very skinny so I don't think I'll have a problem with it but we'll see. Only other thing that concerns me is I'm 6' tall and that's the maximum on the bag. Anyway, enough of me rambling on, I'll get back to you. :D

hillsanddales3
01-07-2011, 12:37
+3 for the Western Mountaineering bags. If you can afford one, you've made an investment that will serve you well on the trail. Some choices per WM site: The Ultralite is a 20 degree bag that weighs 1-12 in the 5' 6" version. The Alpinlite is a 20 degree bag with a larger girth weighing 1-13 in the 5' 6'' version. Bigger girth = more wiggle room. Both are carried in a 7x13 stuff sack.
One thing to consider, during the rainy season/ areas there is some merit to carrying a synthetic bag. A syn still has insulative ability when wet; down is done. Syn is much easier to dry out. Syn bags though, do weigh more.
Having said those things, I carry only down bags, mostly WM brand. Their low weight and small volume make them pack-worthy, especially when you're walking 10 hours a day. I just make sure they never get very damp, and absolutely never get to the point of anything resembling saturation.
Good luck on your hike!

slowandlow
01-07-2011, 13:52
Buy a WM Ultralite and don't look back.

MuffinMan11
01-07-2011, 14:23
If you have a really good light weight summer bag you can do like I do. I have a 15 MB SS and I am definitely a cold sleeper. With good padding I get cold in the 20's. If the forcast before I go says its going to be much colder I take my 45 Big Agnes Pitchpine with me. It goes right over the other and adds 25 degrees. Between the two bags it does add up to weight 3lbs 6oz but with the two bags I can pretty much handle anything now.

C Seeker
01-08-2011, 08:54
Thank you everyone for your input on sleeping bags. Just to answer some you your questions/
1. I am 5.4 feet tall, and very skinny, Female
2. As the lack of job hours I need a relatively cheap bag; 300$ or below
3. I will be hiking June-December on my Thru-hike, mean cold weather at some times
I am looking for a bag under 3 pounds, the less weight the better. I also would like a 600+ down fill, the more down the warmer. Also I don’t want a huge bag as I lose heat but also not a tight one where I can’t move. I also am not able to afford a WM bag and probably won’t for a long time unless I find one really cheap.
The two bags that have caught my eye is the
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555 (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555) Don’t really like the price :/
http://www.rei.com/product/780903 (http://www.rei.com/product/780903) Like the price not the degree rating
I was also thinking during the winter months could I put a fleece liner inside the bag for extra warmth or would that eliminate the down heating?
Thanks, C Seeker

Bags4266
01-08-2011, 10:49
The kilo will fit you well being a thin female, most men say its tight in the shoulders. The Helium is a good deal and great bag, I just purchased the Marmot Pinnacle step down from the Helium and was very impressed on the loft of the bag.
For whats its worth. I couldn't find the Pinnacle anywhere for less than $300. but it kept googling everyday till one popped up at $215.00 Persistence is key. Also thats a decent price from campmor, I have seen them less though. Also seen them quite a bit more too.

Roland
01-08-2011, 10:55
Women's Marmot Helium (http://www.rei.com/product/817117?preferredSku=8171170001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-8171170001&mr:trackingCode=05249AA3-0019-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA) on sale at REI

Bags4266
01-08-2011, 11:42
There you go under 2 lbs and under $300 dollars, more bag than you'll need, but you will be warm. Lock n load:)

skinewmexico
01-08-2011, 13:21
I like to think of a Western Mountaineering bag as the poor man's yacht. Great bag. But Marmot makes a very nice bag, good deal above. A good place to hunt for the cheapest price once you pick a model is spadout.com. It compares prices on multiple sites.

And you're going to need a warm, high-R value pad. A really warm pad will probably make up for a less warm bag, but once you lay on the down and compress it, the opposite is not true. That's the theory behind quilts.

skinewmexico
01-08-2011, 13:29
You might also check the GoLite site..........code BS10 (I think) gets you 40% off. Nice quilts for a mainstream company.

Bags4266
01-08-2011, 13:31
True on the pad, Kooka Bay all the way

skinewmexico
01-08-2011, 13:35
True on the pad, Kooka Bay all the way

Bender makes good stuff.

gunner76
01-08-2011, 18:33
Try and stop by and REI or other outfitter and "test fit" some bags. While all the products mentioned are great items, you will find that you will feel comfortable in one bag and confined in another.

C Seeker
01-11-2011, 14:49
I ended up buying the REI Sub Kilo...I actully got it for a great price of $115. It was on sale, plus my membership, and a $20 gift card from Christmas. WHOO!!! can't wait to I get it. Thank you all for your help.

woodstock64
01-16-2011, 02:54
I recommend the Marmot Aspen Adventurer 15 degree bag at Ducks Sporting Goods. This bag is a Ducks exclusive. It is a 600 FP bag. Weight is 2 lbs 8 oz. This bag is almost identical to the Marmot Sawtooth but sells for $139 instead of $209. If you wait for a sale you can usually pick it up for less.