PDA

View Full Version : Kooka Bay Sleeping Pad Decision

inabag
12-31-2010, 14:51
I am looking into getting a Kooka Bay sleeping pad. I have read great things about them, and the information Bender sent me looks great.

Here is some of the info he sent me:
>The down and synthetic versions actually use a different construction so >before adding insulation the weight is actually less than what you show below! >Here are some examples of what insulated versions weigh.
>
>72x20x2.5" Mummy R5 Synthetic 16 oz
>60x20x2.5 Mummy R5 Synthetic 13 oz
>72x20x2.5" Mummy R8 Down 20.2 oz
>60x20x2.5 Mummy R8 Down 16.6 oz
>
>For 3.5" thick the weight barely changes. If you would like something wider like >24" it adds 2-3 oz for mummy styles.

I am going to go with a Mummy, most likely 60x20x2.5, and I was thinking R5. I will be using this as a 4 season pad. During cold seasons I will use a R2.5 thermarest underneath it. So I am trying to decide on how much fill to get in this pad. I am thinking R4, that gives me 6.5ish when I put the 2 pads together. I need to measure and decide if I do want to go wider then 20" as well. Think going to 3.5 height makes sense? This is going to be used 80% in warmer months, and 20% in colder, so need an overall good balance.

Thoughts?

Powder River
01-01-2011, 16:21
wow this is the first I have heard of them, and I did some looking. I would be very interested to hear how you like this pad. Just from the options alone, I would go with the synthetic so that you don't have to worry about the down wetting out. R5 is plenty, and especially at that weight it would take over for my Exped Downmat. I don't carry a closed cell with my Downmat because its already very heavy, so this would be a much better system imho.

I'm not sure 3.5" would be worth it. 2.5" is already very cushy to me, and I weight over 200. 3.5" is that much more volume you would have to blow up. Not to mention the extra height in many tents can cause your sleeping bag to touch the ceiling.

Bags4266
01-01-2011, 17:53
I am in between two from him 60 x 20 x 2.5 syn. R-5 rectangle top to a tapered foot. Or the full size mummy.
I think the 3.5 is over kill and more time blowing up. Not to many people here know of his pads. He is popular on backpacking light board.

inabag
01-01-2011, 19:22
http://www.kookabay.com/

Yah I am thinking the synthetic R4 or R5, Mummy style 2.5". I just need to measure and see if going wider then 20" is worth it. From everything I have read it looks like high quality stuff, and you can't beat the weight. I will follow up once I have pulled the trigger and then once I get it in and test it out.

Powder River
01-01-2011, 20:49
http://www.kookabay.com/

Yah I am thinking the synthetic R4 or R5, Mummy style 2.5". I just need to measure and see if going wider then 20" is worth it. From everything I have read it looks like high quality stuff, and you can't beat the weight. I will follow up once I have pulled the trigger and then once I get it in and test it out.

Does he allow you to change the amount of insulation to adjust the R value? The web site is lacking a lot of information.

Bags4266
01-01-2011, 20:56
Yes you need to e-mail him each pad is custom to your needs. Tell him what r value or temperature your looking for size and he'll send you a quote. Not cheap though

STICK
01-02-2011, 01:00
I have heard a lot of great things from anyone that has either a pad or a pillow by him. If it were me personally I would go with a rectangular cut 20 x 72 x 2.5 and use down insulation and aim for about a R-Value of 6. I would enjoy a 25" wide, but do fine on a 20". I like my full length and 2.5" is deep enough for me at 200 lbs. And now that I have used a rectangular cut pad, I am not so happy with a mummy cut pad. The rectangular cut just feels bigger, which is why I am fine with a 20" pad too. Down, just cause it is a little lighter (hey, every oz counts... :))

My only problem is that I have found my sweet spot with my NeoAir and have absolutely no desire to part with it...even in the cold... But that does make me wonder if he would do a pad with horizontal baffles rather than vertical...

Bags4266
01-02-2011, 06:29
Rectangular 64x20x2.5" R5 Synthetic 17 oz
Rectangular 64x20x2.5" R8 Down 20.3 oz

Down is actually heavier, above post is from Bender.

Tipi Walter
01-02-2011, 06:34
I think I'll stick with my Exped at least for a while. Does the Kookabay have an external bellows-pump or can you just blow them up mouthwise?

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/b/6/5/43877/TRIP-116-387.jpg

Mr Boston
01-02-2011, 07:29
I just got Kooka Bay pad for Christmas! 72x24x3.5 with R4. It only takes a minute or 2 for me to fill it with the hot air that I carry in my lungs. I'll be using it on springer in a couple weeks.

It was a gift to myself, I can't wait to exchange gifts with myself again. =)