PDA

View Full Version : Let the Hiking Begin!!!

Turtle Feet
12-31-2010, 18:14
Happy New Years (eve) everyone!

Our first "Class of 2011" hiker is scheduled to start tomorrow (unless he had a change of plans) - Docmarten. That was the only January thru-hiker listed in our registry so far. Hope to hear from you Doc as you move along...

What plans are you firming up now that 2011 is upon us???

writeronthestorm
12-31-2010, 21:45
I bought my plane ticket for March 27. I just have to book a spot with the Hiker Hostel, which I'll probably do in the next couple of weeks. I have basically everything but a pack and a summer bag. Hopefully I'll have those taken care of real soon.

Luddite
12-31-2010, 21:54
I have my train and bus ticket (no direct route to Atlanta from FLA on Amtrak) bought already. Planes scare me. Almost have all my gear except a few things. I'm nervous but excited.

Blissful
12-31-2010, 22:03
April will start the end of my SOBO finish. Yeah!

HiKen2011
12-31-2010, 22:21
Mid March for me, I attempted last yr and my Aunt passed away. Sad time for my family, she was like my second Mom. The last Aunt or Uncle I had.:(

Turtle Feet
01-01-2011, 00:09
KiKen2011 -very sorry to hear of your aunt's passing - my sympathies. Family is the most important thing. I've got a mid-March start too, so we'll probably cross paths.

Turtle Feet
01-01-2011, 00:18
I just got a Facebook update that the 2011 A.T. Guides have started shipping - that should give me the last piece of the puzzle as far as pre-planning. I'll have a better idea of good resupply areas, where I may need a drop or bounce box.

The dehydrator continues to whirrrr away. That poor thing has barely had a day off since Nov. , I'm just hoping it holds out long enough for me to finish the things on my list.

Once my drop boxes are good to go, so am I!

HiKen2011
01-01-2011, 00:45
I'm only 65 miles from the southern terminus, so I'm ready, gear ready and I think I'm ready. I'll purchase most everything (food) along the way with only a few mail drops and a bounce box. Wish me luck this yr.

HiKen2011:)

Luddite
01-01-2011, 01:00
Haoppyi newyeasrs!!!!!!!!!!1

HiKen2011
01-01-2011, 01:05
Back at ya Luddite!

Stearman
01-01-2011, 03:52
Typing my letter of resignation. Hell yes! Can't wait for March 5th.

Speakeasy TN
01-01-2011, 08:02
The New Year is on us! I had intended to drive up USFS 42 this morning but it's raining bullfrogs! The countdown is on! Looking at something around the 20th. I'd like to be near Franklin for Ron Haven's get-together. I went last year and was made to feel like part of the family, and that kinship is what I believe pushed my wife to say "Don't wait." I'm as ready as I'm going to get. Speakeasy 2011 NOBO

FatMan
01-01-2011, 08:35
Going to be heading down to Springer as soon as there is enough daylight to see through the fog (clouds). First mild night for Springer New Years in several years. Expecting plenty of rain today for the New Year starters.

FatMan
01-01-2011, 08:54
Well my drive down FS42 has just been vetoed by my wife. Now that we have some daylight we see the fog is too thick to drive so we will just do our daily walking up here. Oh well, maybe I will see any New Years starters tomorrow or Monday up here at Grassy Gap on the trail.

LockJaww
01-01-2011, 10:02
Finally....It's " Our Year "....
I have my plane ticket, shuttle/hostel reservation...
All my gear except sleeping pad...
I have a numerical countdown going on a blackboard at work. When I return Monday I'll be down to 87 days. Boggles my mind when I stop and think about it. Times is flying now. I wont be sitting at my computer reading journals this Spring.....I'll be out there hiking and writing my own........
Set to leave April 2nd......To cool.

fehchet
01-01-2011, 10:22
I feel in my belly all the excitement written in these posts from all of you getting ready to take off north. Good luck and may God bless. 2011 -- who would have thunk it? Remember to keep the river on your right and don't take candy from strangers. Have fun!

topshelf
01-01-2011, 13:09
Good luck to all those doing it this year. Hope everyone enjoys their own hike and it's everything they expected and more.

Due to my job and the loan program I'm in from college, I have to wait another 4 years. Looks like I'll be in the class of 2015 if I want to go SOBO or 2016 if I want to go NOBO.

Indi
01-01-2011, 17:55
OMG It's THIS YEAR!!! :D :D :D

Bus tickets purchased, Hiker Hostel reserved, can't wait to see y'all out there!

Btown
01-01-2011, 19:54
Mid March for me, I attempted last yr and my Aunt passed away. Sad time for my family, she was like my second Mom. The last Aunt or Uncle I had.:(

How did the the long trail hike turn out? I haven't been on the forum since you were planning that jaunt.

johnnyblisters
01-01-2011, 20:19
Weird, I just bought my April 4th train ticket and reserved a spot at HH. Its starting to set in... Now thinking of what else I have to do before I leave, what guidebooks are other 2011 thru's taking this year?

Ron Haven
01-01-2011, 22:50
The New Year is on us! I had intended to drive up USFS 42 this morning but it's raining bullfrogs! The countdown is on! Looking at something around the 20th. I'd like to be near Franklin for Ron Haven's get-together. I went last year and was made to feel like part of the family, and that kinship is what I believe pushed my wife to say "Don't wait." I'm as ready as I'm going to get. Speakeasy 2011 NOBO
Hope to see all of you at the Hiker Bash (http://hikerbash.ronhaven.com/) this year too. Also remember, we are open in Hiawassee for Unicoi & Dicks Creek Gap hikers. Laundry, internet, and great hiker rates $39.99 for 1 person per room

Mountain_Goat
01-01-2011, 23:37
plane ticket for feb.26th.
heading to ME march 1st

wornoutboots
01-02-2011, 15:50
Best Wishes Class of 2011!! I'm hoping to see some of you along the way on my section hikes this year!!

Turtle Feet
01-02-2011, 17:17
Well my drive down FS42 has just been vetoed by my wife. Now that we have some daylight we see the fog is too thick to drive so we will just do our daily walking up here. Oh well, maybe I will see any New Years starters tomorrow or Monday up here at Grassy Gap on the trail.

Oooo! Keep us posted on that! Would love to hear about who's out there already.

Did some grocery shopping for my drop boxes this morning... driving back from the store I was mentally counting the days. OMG!!! My stomach tightens up in a knot at the very thought - what's with that?!? :confused: I'm excited, but somehow nervous at the same time.

TF

Indi
01-02-2011, 17:45
Did some grocery shopping for my drop boxes this morning... driving back from the store I was mentally counting the days. OMG!!! My stomach tightens up in a knot at the very thought - what's with that?!? :confused: I'm excited, but somehow nervous at the same time.

TF

I feel you there - I'm terrified at the thought of failing.

Buzz Saw
01-02-2011, 18:50
Had email from Tawa last week and he was starting in Georgia 1/1/11. he may be the first to go this year.

Stir Fry
01-02-2011, 19:19

Just remember it not a race. Start slow and be steady and you will finish. Take it one day at a time.

topshelf
01-02-2011, 19:56
I'm ready to start seeing the trail journals pop up, even though I know it won't be for a while.

topshelf
01-02-2011, 19:58
I'm ready to start seeing the trail journals pop up, even though I know it won't be for a while.

well I see Cope has already started and he's got a journal, so maybe not as long as I expected.

Indi
01-02-2011, 20:27
Just remember it not a race. Start slow and be steady and you will finish. Take it one day at a time.

Thanks SF. ^_^ I am aiming to start VERRRRRY slow!

Turtle Feet
01-02-2011, 20:38

Oh, we won't fail, we definitely won't fail! I was taking the xmas tree down this afternoon and thinking about the fact that this time next year I'll be taking the xmas tree down again, only with the experience of a life-time behind me! :banana

THEN, it occured to me. To make it a 'thru-hike', it just needs to be completed in one calendar year? One successive effort? Whatever. If I start mid-March, and give myself until December 24, 2011 to finish (I wouldn't miss xmas with the fam!), that should be MORE than enough time...:sun

What the heck? It might cost me twice as much - both time & money, but I have the time, and I have the money so, it's just walkin' - right??? :D

Sassafras Lass
01-03-2011, 12:14
... driving back from the store I was mentally counting the days. OMG!!! My stomach tightens up in a knot at the very thought - what's with that?!? :confused: I'm excited, but somehow nervous at the same time.

TF

Not weird at all.

DH and I went hiking in the Smokies for our New Year's celebration. Drove down Friday after work, hiked up LeConte via Bullhead New Year's Day, hiked down via Rainbow Falls Sunday, drove back and now I'm at work again thinking through the weekend . . . . . and thanking God that what happened happened NOW instead of our first day or 2 of the trail . . .

#1 ~ The weather warmed up, melting that 22" or so of snow off the top of the mountain, which gushed down the trail and turned trickles into waterfalls that had to be forded ..... in addition to a sudden typhoon/hurricane that came gusting through all afternoon ..... oh, and it was raining steadily the entire day. DH thought he was going to succcumb to hypothermia and was near scared out of his gourd. I couldn't feel my feet for hours. But we lived and the walk the next day down was beautiful.

#2 ~ Despite our precautions, DH's expensive Marmot Helium 15 has a HUGE rip and various abrasions in it (found a knot on a post in the shelter the next morning). He's only used the darn thing 5 times now and it's ruined, and of course it will be $$ to mail it to Marmot for repair, or even more $$$ to buy a new one (this sort of thing not being covered by Marmot warranty :()

Sooo . . . . . never mind the nervousness of starting such a huge undertaking as the AT - how the heck do we stay warm and dry and keep our sleeping bags from ripping to shreds? I still want to hike the AT, but by God I want to be safe, warm, reasonably dry, and not have our equipment shredding to pieces.

FritztheCat
01-03-2011, 18:50
Just bought my train tickets and made reservations at Hiker Hostel. Looking forward to hitting the trail April 1st!!! Woot!!!

Turtle Feet
01-03-2011, 20:33
Not weird at all.

DH and I went hiking in the Smokies for our New Year's celebration. Drove down Friday after work, hiked up LeConte via Bullhead New Year's Day, hiked down via Rainbow Falls Sunday, drove back and now I'm at work again thinking through the weekend . . . . . and thanking God that what happened happened NOW instead of our first day or 2 of the trail . . .

#1 ~ The weather warmed up, melting that 22" or so of snow off the top of the mountain, which gushed down the trail and turned trickles into waterfalls that had to be forded ..... in addition to a sudden typhoon/hurricane that came gusting through all afternoon ..... oh, and it was raining steadily the entire day. DH thought he was going to succcumb to hypothermia and was near scared out of his gourd. I couldn't feel my feet for hours. But we lived and the walk the next day down was beautiful.

#2 ~ Despite our precautions, DH's expensive Marmot Helium 15 has a HUGE rip and various abrasions in it (found a knot on a post in the shelter the next morning). He's only used the darn thing 5 times now and it's ruined, and of course it will be $$ to mail it to Marmot for repair, or even more $$$ to buy a new one (this sort of thing not being covered by Marmot warranty :()

Sooo . . . . . never mind the nervousness of starting such a huge undertaking as the AT - how the heck do we stay warm and dry and keep our sleeping bags from ripping to shreds? I still want to hike the AT, but by God I want to be safe, warm, reasonably dry, and not have our equipment shredding to pieces.

Wow! I am VERY sorry to hear about that bag! Why can't it be our crappy stuff that gets ruined - how come it's always the expensive, almost new stuff?

I had my new hammock hanging up last winter, left it up for days and would go out and hang whenever I got the chance. Well, one night we had a horrible wind storm. I got up the next morning and looked out my kitchen window - the stakes had been pulled out of the snow banks and the hammock had gotten hooked on a low-hanging branch tearing a nice ragged hole in the no-seeum mesh. :( It's 'tenacious' taped up now, so I suppose the next crappy thing that happens to it won't be as tramatic, but I feel your pain!!! :(:(:(

tf

Ogre
01-03-2011, 20:49
Just bought my train tickets and made reservations at Hiker Hostel. Looking forward to hitting the trail April 1st!!! Woot!!!

I looked at taking the train from CA. After all it's not like I'm in a hurry! But the schedules and prices were awful, 4 days with a transfer in Chicago (I think it was) or 3 days with an overnight layover in New Orleans, both of which cost more than flying non-stop to Atlanta from the airport that's only a few miles away.

So, flying. Oh well.

kayak karl
01-03-2011, 20:54
why? just starting is more then most of the WB people have ever done. at least you out of you computer chair. :D

Indi
01-03-2011, 22:59
why? just starting is more then most of the WB people have ever done. at least you out of you computer chair. :D

I just want to prove to myself that I can accomplish something difficult and actually see it through. Failing that feels like failing me, unless something completely out of my own control forces me off the trail!

I know that's a construct, though, and Lone Wolf is ultimately right - it's just walking. I love hiking, so it's going to be a beautiful experience no matter what. :o

RichardD
01-09-2011, 21:48
I purchased airline tickets two days ago, I fly on March 22 and have a reservation at the Hiker Inn. I start the trail March 23.
The excitement builds daily!!!

Ron Haven
01-10-2011, 05:38
they were 4 northbounders checked in at Franklin Budget Inn last night. :sun