PDA

View Full Version : Durability question: Ridge rest vs Neo-air....

nawlunz
12-31-2010, 18:43
I am planning a solo JMT hike next summer, and really have a serious question regarding pads. I have the Neo-Air, approx. 14 oz, and used it last summer when out about 8 days solo in the sierras. I absolutely had the best sleep ever. However, I am now planning to solo for over 21 days and thinking of replacing it with the Ridge-rest. The regular Ridge-rest is about the same weight, but the reason I plan for doing so is I didn't want to spend time blowing up the pad every night, and wonder about the durability over time for the inflatable pad. So, I know it's a personal preference, but who on WB would worry about the durability of the Neo-air (worried about a leak) as opposed to less comfort with the Ridge-rest, but realizing the set up is less and less anxiety and concern about where I place it over a three week outing?

THANKS
WTC

Spirit Walker
12-31-2010, 21:18
I've used a 3/4 length ridgerest for the past 22 years. My ridgerest is only 9 oz. The only time I've used a blowup pad is car camping - where weight doesn't matter. Since I generally camp on soft surfaces, it is soft enough. On the JMT you will be camping in pine needles - so a non-inflatable pad might be better. But as I said, I never use one for bping so I can't really be sure that it is less durable.

runfifty
12-31-2010, 22:26
I used a Neoair my entire thru hike this year. I didn't have any durability issues, even though I usually stayed in shelters without using anything under it. Most comfortable pad I've ever used.

Kerosene
01-01-2011, 10:42
I seriously doubt that you will see any wear on your NeoAir after another 3 weeks. Of course, there's always a risk of puncture, but that's more the result of placement than wear.

Before you decide to go with the RidgeRest, I suggest you try it out one evening. Perhaps you can see what a deflated NeoAir feels like also! If it were me, I'd go with my NeoAir and bring a patch kit if I was concerned about punctures.

Tinker
01-01-2011, 10:56
To make a firm mattress a little more comfortable, pad the gap around your waist (whether you sleep on your side or back) with some clothing, or bring a small inflatable sit pad or pillow for that purpose. It takes some of the pressure off of your hips. When camping on sand you can hollow out a place for your hips and shoulders, or you can arrange piles of dead leaves, etc. (but you probably are aware of that already). Try the padding thing on a floor at home. If it isn't enough for you, bring the Neo Air (but, if you're like me and don't trust air mats completely, bring a small torso sized piece of closed cell foam for a backup [as well as a nice sit pad or doormat]).

QiWiz
01-01-2011, 19:03
Love the comfort of the NeoAir (but not the price) and have had no problems with about 20 nights on mine so far. I do carry a patch kit and have some closed cell foam pieces as part of pack padding and for butt pad that I can use in a pinch (and as a butt pad and pillow as well). One time (never again) I left the NeoAir at home and had an uncomfortable but not hypothermic night on my "in a pinch" closed cell foam pads - one under shoulders, other under hips, pack under legs, etc.

Mr. Right
01-01-2011, 19:11
On the JMT, the Ridge-rest will serve you the best. Inflatable pads are definitely more comfortable and warmer and I was damn happy to have one on my AT thru-hike. But the vegetation here in California is a little more ... prickly than the stuff back East. While not "inevitable," I would say that at least one puncture while you're on the JMT is very "likely." I don't see benefits of the inflatable outweighing the risks. (If you do go with an inflatable, get something bomb proof for underneath, like Tyvek.)

Luddite
01-01-2011, 19:19
I used a Neoair my entire thru hike this year. I didn't have any durability issues, even though I usually stayed in shelters without using anything under it. Most comfortable pad I've ever used.

That should pretty much answer the ops question.

SwitchbackVT
01-01-2011, 19:19
Thanks for posing this question Nawlunz, I've also been worried about using my Neoair on my thru this summer (84 days and counting!) for fear of puncture/durability, etc. I've decided to go for it and carry the Neoair, along with the patch kit.

On 9/11 this year, I met a thru hiker on Mt. Washington named Slightly Innapropriate (great guy, awesome trail name) and he said he'd been using the Neoair for the entire AT to that point, with no issues. I was completely thrilled to hear that, and it's great to hear RunFifty used the Neoair on on his thru as well.

Has anyone started with the Neoair on their thru hike, and then had to replace it?

Mango
01-01-2011, 20:07
I used a NeoAir on the PCT this year, till Sonora Pass where I had to get off. It was great. But I also carried a cheap foam pad from KMart for puncture protection and additional padding and more insulation (we slept on snow several nights in the Sierra). Recommend it highly, but be careful. The cheapo foam pad was light weight and great for sitting / napping at stops along the way.

As to blowing it up, another thru said "I have to breathe anyway".

HeartWalker
01-02-2011, 10:57
I had to replace ny Neo on my thru attempt last year after about a week it developed a slow leak around the valve.

i would have to blow it up 2 or 3 times during the night. I am going with the Klymit inertia x for my April thru this time, 9 oz plus a GG 1/8 pad. Good luck

nawlunz
01-02-2011, 12:53
I had to replace ny Neo on my thru attempt last year after about a week it developed a slow leak around the valve.

i would have to blow it up 2 or 3 times during the night. I am going with the Klymit inertia x for my April thru this time, 9 oz plus a GG 1/8 pad. Good luck

others to have the Klymit intertia? Why do you not think it may have problems with valve leakage or other punctures? Just curious...looks great though!

Colter
01-02-2011, 13:44
I hiked the PCT last summer. Until I got to Washington I used a floor-less Wild Oasis, so I went with a Ridgerest. In Washington I knew it would be wetter so I switched to my Lunar Solo which has a floor and at that time I went to a Neo-air which was very comfortable.

I was happy with my decision all the way around.

Most thru-hikers I talked to that carried Neo-airs were glad they did, but they'd also gotten punctures. One guy said he never took his inflated pad out of his tent after he'd gotten a puncture or two and that prevented further problems. I followed that policy and didn't get a puncture.

As usual, it's all about trade-offs. For me the effort of inflating a Neo-air is a non issue, so with a floored shelter I'll bring the Neo-air and be careful. A patch kit is a good idea. Without a floored shelter, I'll definitely use a closed-cell pad.

malowitz
01-02-2011, 14:40
I carried a NeoAir my 2010 thru. It developed a small leak (not at the valve). In Rangely, ME, I found the hole and applied a patch. It didn't hold - just couldn't get the patch sticker to seal, I guess. I bought a new one in Monson to finish out with.

If I knew I couldn't stop and buy a new one like your 21-day plan, I would probably still bring it becuase the comfort is so high. I'd just bring the repair kit. Make sure you the Fast and Light kit. Also, you don't need the glue dots - just the stickers so it is negligible extra weight.

I also used a gossamear gear thinlight pad under my NeoAir for a little extra protection from things that my poke through in shelters or when tenting.

ARambler
01-02-2011, 15:49
I used the NeoAir and got a large hole, a couple weeks in. It was a small twig with a very sharp side nub. I adjusted the pad with my whole weight on it.

I hiked a couple weeks with both a duck tape repair and an official Thermo rest patch. Both repairs would leak intermmitently, I had to reinflate up to twice a night. I carried a Thermorest pad for a lot with and without the Neo Air.

I went back to an inflatable thermorest because I could not find a new short NeoAire on the trail.

I would definitely consider going back to the NeoAire. I would never consider the full length version. I would get the short for just one of the following reasons: Lighter, reasonable time to inflate, cheaper.

Rambler

nawlunz
01-02-2011, 16:09
[QUOTE=billreyn1;1087116]I had to replace ny Neo on my thru attempt last year after about a week it developed a slow leak around the valve.

i would have to blow it up 2 or 3 times during the night. I am going with the Klymit inertia x for my April thru this time, 9 oz plus a GG 1/8 pad. Good luck[/QUOT

as far as comfort? Comparable to NeoAir, or something a little less?
More comfort than a Ridgerest I would assume...

HeartWalker
01-03-2011, 11:19
Yeah somewhere between the neo and a zrest but pretty comfortable. The R value is lower so you need to consider that. Another big plus is it only takes about three breaths to completely inflate it. I hated that it took me about 20 or so breaths with my regular Neo at the end of a long day