PDA

View Full Version : Airport Preferences

Trailryder42
12-31-2010, 21:38
Hi all,
I'm working on logistics for getting to Springer and heading home after finishing Katahdin.

I'm reading that Bangor is the nearest airport from Katahdin. Flights out of there take me to either Detroit or New York City(LaGuardia)for transfers. Which of those two would you prefer NOT to be in?
(http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/LGA.html)

Blissful
12-31-2010, 22:03
I would never transfer in a NYC airport.

HiKen2011
12-31-2010, 22:56
I've been to La guardia several times with no problems, Detroit either for that matter. Depends on time of yr and weather.

HiKen2011

TheCheek
01-01-2011, 00:06
Detroit is far better for transfers.

pistol p
01-01-2011, 00:14
I second Detroit. Very easy to deal with layout.

ARambler
01-01-2011, 00:30
The cost structure will be very different when you get your tickets. Many take the bus all the way to Boston to have more options.

Roland
01-01-2011, 04:51
Hi all,
I'm working on logistics for getting to Springer and heading home after finishing Katahdin.

I'm reading that Bangor is the nearest airport from Katahdin. Flights out of there take me to either Detroit or New York City(LaGuardia)for transfers. Which of those two would you prefer NOT to be in?

With all due respect, TrailRyder, it's a bit early to worry about this.

You're probably not going to book a flight home until you have a firm completion date--and that will come very late into your hike. On short notice, your choice may be driven by flight availability (and cost), rather than airport preference.

A lot can change between now and Katahdin. You may finish the Trail with someone who offers you a ride to Portland or Boston, where you might be able to get a direct flight back home.

Or, you may decide to return home before you reach Maine. It's way too early to sweat the small stuff.

Have a great hike!

mudhead
01-01-2011, 06:04
Detroit.

Avoid NYC.

Check Portland, ME /BOS flights, like Roland suggested.

peakbagger
01-01-2011, 07:21
Bangor is a marginal market airport and the schedules change frequently. Therefore in 6 months, your options will most likely change.

That being said, Detroit is preferable to any of the NY airports as any issues on the east coast usually translate to NY airport issues.

If your concern is for crime at the airport, dont worry about it, as long as you stay in the secured areas of the terminals, its highly unlikely you have to worry about crime as everyone has been screened.

As mentioned, check out Portland Maine flights, the cost savings and schedule options are very significantly better. Southwest should be flying out of Portland this fall.

rickb
01-01-2011, 08:03
Not sure of the timing on this but Southwest is coming to Portland.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Portland/Southwest-Airlines-coming-to-Portland-Jetport,154869

10-K
01-01-2011, 08:38
I know "How am I going to get home from so far away?" is a big deal but I wouldn't worry about it.

I would suggest having an idea of your options but when you finish hitch into Millinocket to the Appalachian Trail Lodge and tell Paul or Jamie where you need to go - they'll tell you the best way to get there and get you on the road.

msujay
01-01-2011, 09:07
Think of it this way...you will have just figured out how to walk from Georgia to Maine. 2,000+ miles. I'm confident you will be able to figure out the best way to get home once you are almost done hiking. Good luck!

chiefiepoo
01-01-2011, 09:18
Think of it this way...you will have just figured out how to walk from Georgia to Maine. 2,000+ miles. I'm confident you will be able to figure out the best way to get home once you are almost done hiking. Good luck!

Amen, Amen and Amen. Best Whiteblaze advice of the year, so far msujay:banana

Kerosene
01-01-2011, 10:36
I've did 60+ segments each year for the past 5 years, mostly out of Detroit, with a number of flights in and out of northeast airports. Avoid Boston, LaGuardia, Newark, and Philly if you can. Delta has a cheap direct flight from Manchester, NH to Detroit.

Shutterbug
01-01-2011, 14:41
Hi all,

Last year, when I checked options, I found it cheaper to rent a car at Bangor to drive to Manchester, NH to fly on Southwest than to fly directly from Bangor.

Trailryder42
01-01-2011, 16:54
Thanks all for the thoughts and opinions.

I know it's a ways off to have to think about this yet, but in my reading over the forums many different topics seeing what it's going to take to plan this trip, this is the topic I got stuck on "today". Out of sequence in the grand scheme of things I know. LOL

But it's still useful info and I appreciate all who offer it.

Happy Trails in 2011!

Chillfactor
01-06-2011, 15:02
Last year, when I checked options, I found it cheaper to rent a car at Bangor to drive to Manchester, NH to fly on Southwest than to fly directly from Bangor.

That's good to know.