PDA

View Full Version : 9 year old on the approach trail..

Morning Glory
12-31-2010, 22:27
My soon to be nine year old son has done some day hikes with me, his longest hike being from Indian Grave Gap down to the Nolichucky (pretty much all downhill or flat for 8 miles). My good buddy is planning on thru hiking starting in March and I plan on taking him down and hiking the approach trail with him. I was thinking about taking my son along for his first overnight hike. I've never done the approach trail. Do you think this would be too tough of a trip for him to do on his first trip?

Roland
12-31-2010, 22:41
It could be a great experience for your son to feel the excitement and energy of a fresh crop of prospective thru-hikers.

Over the next two months, take him hiking. Ramp up miles gradually, until he can walk 8 miles and still enjoy it.

Keep his load light. It will be a trip he will remember for a long time.

bigcranky
12-31-2010, 22:46
It's not some sort of impossible trail, but the Approach Trail does go uphill pretty much the whole way. If you can get an early morning start, that would be good, as would starting at the top of the falls (or at least driving your packs to the top, then hiking the stairs without them.) My daughter was 13 when we did it, and it took us a loooong time to get to the top.

Blissful
12-31-2010, 22:48
Approach is fairly tough with several mountains. I'd stretch it out over a few days if you do it. Esp if this is his first backpacking trip carrying his own gear.

HiKen2011
12-31-2010, 22:52
Around 2700 ft of elevation gain if I remember correctly, I did it in 5 hrs. Go sloooooooooooooow if you plan to take him. Enjoy the time with your son!

HiKen2011 :sun

Harrison Bergeron
01-01-2011, 00:17
When my son-in-law and I did it last summer we passed three teenagers headed the other way to the summit at about 3:00 in the afternoon. A guy and two girls. All three were in flip-flops, and he was carrying all the gear in an enormous pack -- and they were practically skipping up the trail, laughing and having a big time.

Sigh...

bigben
01-01-2011, 13:32
My son had about the same experience as your son, and last year(he was 8) we hiked from FS42 to the top of Springer and onto Three Forks, camped and back the next day. He did fine, but you just have to expect the complaining on the long uphills and the frequent breaks and make sure he has a pack that actually fits him correctly, and then keep the weight down. I have done the Approach Trail from the arch and its really no different from any other day on the AT, IMO.

weary
01-01-2011, 14:21
A reasonably active 9-year-old can do any non technical mountain. And there are no technical climbs any where on the Appalachian Trail. Actually, any 7 year-old can do the same, even many 6-year-olds.

The problem is that kids have their own agendas. They are curious and easily bored. Kids like to stop and look at things, and dawdle. They are not anxious to reach the summit. They want to enjoy the trip up.

That may cause difficulties on a hike that includes a thru hiker, anxious to reach Springer and the long walk north.

Despite all the chat, there is absolutely nothing particularly difficult about the trail from Amicalola Park to Springer Mountain, other than that it passes a few bumps (other peaks) enroute to Springer. Springer is a gentle southern Appalachian peak. Similar eight mile stretches can be found again and again on the long trail to Katahdin.

Lemni Skate
01-01-2011, 15:07
Definitely take him. Too bad you can't take him for a week. I took my kids (9 and 11 at the time) North about 40 miles. They had a blast.

fredmugs
01-03-2011, 14:47
Put him in the lead. My girls always go faster when they are in front and tend to drift further and further behind when they are in the back. Child psychology works wonders on the trail.

kayak karl
01-03-2011, 14:53
The problem is that kids have their own agendas. They are curious and easily bored. Kids like to stop and look at things, and dawdle. They are not anxious to reach the summit. They want to enjoy the trip up.

how immature of them.:D

max patch
01-03-2011, 15:11
If he can hike 9 miles then he can hike the approach. Approach isn't hard at all; especially if you start at the top of the falls.

jesse
01-03-2011, 15:43
Park at top of the falls, eat a hearty breakfast buffet, keep pack weight down, Hike.

weary
01-03-2011, 20:00
If he can hike 9 miles then he can hike the approach. Approach isn't hard at all; especially if you start at the top of the falls.
Nor is it hard at all, if you take the stairs from the bottom of the falls. Don't deprive your kids are the stairs.

Stop if you wish for breakfast at the Inn. Kids will like that. But don't miss those stairs.

jdb
01-03-2011, 20:51
I find with my son (10) keep a few goodies in your pack. Keep the weight down as others said and if he likes music an ipod works like magic.

My son got an ipod Nano for Christmas and I think I was more excited than he was:)

Have a great time!

max patch
01-03-2011, 21:05
Nor is it hard at all, if you take the stairs from the bottom of the falls. Don't deprive your kids are the stairs.

Stop if you wish for breakfast at the Inn. Kids will like that. But don't miss those stairs.

Yeah, you're right. Approach isn't hard even considering the stairs. Stairs are the hardest part, though. So if they can hike the stairs they can hike anything.