PDA

View Full Version : New Hostel coming to Catawba, Va.

Hikerhead
12-31-2010, 23:21
I just saw this on a local tv broadcast today. The old farm that takes up most of the valley on the PO side of rt 311, has been owned and pretty much left abandoned for at least 20 years by Va Tech. They are now in the process of renovating one of the old building to turn it into a hostel for AT hikers and 76 Bicential Trail bike riders. What a great ideal and location with the PO, the Homeplace and the grocery store all within walking distance. What a perfect use for this property. I didn't hear it mentioned but I would bet a feeder trail from there to the AT on the ridge would be put in also.

ChinMusic
12-31-2010, 23:35
How close to the famous buffet?

Hikerhead
12-31-2010, 23:37
How close to the famous buffet?

1/4 mile I guess.

hobbs
01-01-2011, 00:04
1/4 mile I guess.
Nice I love that place! Even better now.:D

Sly
01-01-2011, 00:23
I believe the Catawba Valley General Store is closed and for sale. Rumor has it there was an interested buyer who hoped to open in 2011.

Hikerhead
01-01-2011, 01:10
I believe the Catawba Valley General Store is closed and for sale. Rumor has it there was an interested buyer who hoped to open in 2011.

It's been bought. Early indications from the new owner is that it will be hiker friendly. Time will tell.

shades of blue
01-01-2011, 01:24
Do you think this hostel will be open for the 2011 hiking season?

Hikerhead
01-01-2011, 01:29
Do you think this hostel will be open for the 2011 hiking season?

I kind of doubt it, the building looked kind of rough after being empty for so many years. They were making repairs to the roof on the show so who knows, maybe. Maybe Laura at ATC can add something if she sees this.

Hikerhead
01-01-2011, 01:39
I found a little information. Check out the video.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2010/12/122010-outreach-catawbastudents.html

Jeff
01-01-2011, 06:38
This is great news for hikers. The Catawba area has needed a hostel type facility ever since Joe Mitchell closed 4 Pines Hostel.

As with any enterprise however, success will depend on the quality of management.

fehchet
01-01-2011, 07:05
Another good reason to walk down the hill on that busy road -- food and now a place to stay.

Rain Man
01-01-2011, 12:49
I found a little information. Check out the video.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2010/12/122010-outreach-catawbastudents.html

That link says go to YouTube for more complete info, so here's that direct link:

YouTube on planned "new" hostel. (http://www.youtube.com/vtoutreachvideo#p/a/u/0/2EuMFEbcMkg)

Looks good to me! It may be the fanciest hostel (if it gets done) on the entire AT.

Rain:sunMan

Hikerhead
01-01-2011, 12:53
There should definitely be a Work To Stay option available here. What Benton MacKaye envisioned from the very start.

Turtle Feet
01-09-2011, 13:56
OK, can we put in a request for a hammock pavillion? Just some sets of poles with a roof over them??? That would be amazing, as currently the place looks treeless.

ScottP
03-31-2011, 01:53
I'm working on this project, along with a handful of other graduate students and faculty from many departments.

There's a lot of things that we'd like to do with this property. It is an ideal location for a hostel as well as a lot of other more comprehensive plans that would (hopefully) include a hostel.

I'd love your feedback and input at some point, but please don't give it to me now. To use (in any fashion) your responses I need to get approval from the IRB (human research subject approval. They can get really nasty if you don't follow their protocol). It's currently pending until some other very busy folks can get at their section. I'll check back in as soon as I can, but thanks for your interest.

hobbs
03-31-2011, 02:29
I'm working on this project, along with a handful of other graduate students and faculty from many departments.

There's a lot of things that we'd like to do with this property. It is an ideal location for a hostel as well as a lot of other more comprehensive plans that would (hopefully) include a hostel.

I'd love your feedback and input at some point, but please don't give it to me now. To use (in any fashion) your responses I need to get approval from the IRB (human research subject approval. They can get really nasty if you don't follow their protocol). It's currently pending until some other very busy folks can get at their section. I'll check back in as soon as I can, but thanks for your interest.
I am presumeing your a TA by now scott. It would be great if you could get the (IRB) to accept input..I went to school in Texas and had to go through some of the same hoops but in undergrad..Thank you for your future posts...

Little Joe Mitchell
03-31-2011, 22:39
Four Pines Hostel will be reopening VERY shortly. My dad has missed doing it soooo much, he is finally getting the big Divorce and will be able to reopen! -Joe Mitchell III