PDA

View Full Version : Combat Boots

smalls
01-01-2011, 03:24
Ok, not precisely combat boots, at least not the boots most of the vets here think of when they remember stuffing their feet in to ill fitting leather torture devices in basic training.

A lot of hikers I've talked to, including a number of thru-hikers look at me like I'm insane when I mention that I plan on wearing my boots on the trail for a summer hike. I also notice that problems with feet are an ongoing theme in all the books and blogs I read about the trail, and I did have a little trouble of my own when I did part of the trail as a teenager. All that being said, I'm looking for something more substantial than a vague "that's a terrible idea" to help me decide which way to go.

These are actually Belleville Aviation boots (http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/product.php?current_product=11). I've had this particular pair several years, and have probably already put more than 1,000 miles on them. They have custom insoles, are nearly water proof, fit perfectly, breathe very well, give excellent support to my ankles, and have never caused a blister. The one big downside is that they're pretty heavy.

What is the general consensus on full boots vs. hiking boots vs. shoes on the trail. Anyone have some experience here to offer?

-Smalls

BrianLe
01-01-2011, 05:45
"What is the general consensus on full boots vs. hiking boots vs. shoes on the trail. Anyone have some experience here to offer?"

I don't believe that there is consensus on this, but certainly many have experience to offer. Bottom line is that if you know the trade-offs, do what works for you (!). The benefits of lighter footwear are just the extra impact that weight has on feet (vs. carried on the back), and generally speaking lighter footwear breathes better and thus can be better for feet than the sauna microclimate inside waterproof boots --- or at least many (me included) feel that way.

I guess the other thing I'd offer is that among more experienced long distance hiker my sense at least is that the clear majority favor relatively light and generally breathable shoes over boots; some, however, feel that the AT (or at least parts of it) are a bit different. No consensus here either. I hiked the AT this year in breathable shoes, to include a lot of snow in the south to start out, and was happy to have done so. My more experienced hiking partner used goretex light hiker boots for the early part and he was happy with that (swapped to shoes thereafter). Prior to starting the AT, a recently triple-crowned friend advised me that, despite the fact that he did the PCT and CDT in shoes, he recommended boots for me on the AT. But as I said, I was happy that I disregarded this advice.

There's no consensus.

Llama Legs
01-01-2011, 09:39
Why would you wear something on your feet that you wouldn't want to carry in your pack?

LockJaww
01-01-2011, 09:55
Im a very big fan of the Garmont T 8 boots. They are a modern day version of the VietNam era jungle boot. Light weight, durable and designed to perform when wet. They are used today by Special Forces/Ranger/Navy Seal types...Thus making them a " Combat Boot ".
I have probably 500 miles on a pair . I will be wearing a pair when I head north from Springer. If you use an after market insole be sure to get a half size larger than normal.

Bearpaw
01-01-2011, 12:07
The model you show looks functional, if somewhat heavy. With a goretex liner, they should hold up somewhat to spring weather in the mountain south. Just remember they will wet out after several hours in continuous rain or snow. For now, you should be fine to start with what you already know works.

You'll be buying another pair along the way in any case, especially if you already have 1000 miles on them. Take a look at what others are using along the way. It will give you ideas of what to buy when you need a new pair of footwear.

I earned a doctorate in blisters and blister care while I was in the Marine Corps. In maybe 7000 miles of walking since I got out, I've had blisters maybe twice, both times after multiple days of walking in rainy conditions. I contribute this to wearing lighter, softer shoes and boots.

When I got out and hiked the AT, I started with a heavy pair of civilian boots. When I bought a new pair in Connecticutt, I got a much lighter pair of fabric and leather boot. I was MUCH happier. If I hiked this year, my boots would be a little over half the weight of the ones I hiked with in 1999.

Blissful
01-01-2011, 12:13
Look if the boots work for you, use them.
Boots didn't work for me. i developed injury. So I switched to trail runners and used them ever since.

leaftye
01-02-2011, 01:39
Heavy boots torture my hip flexors. That said, I agree with the others. If they work for you, use them.

uberart
01-02-2011, 02:02
My experience is that the trail will do much less damage to your feet than big heavy boots. Light shoes requires you to be more careful how your step, but also gives you the ability to do so.

Swamped boots take a much longer time to dry than most shoes especially with gortex. And your boots will swamp.

bigcranky
01-02-2011, 11:10
When I started civilian hiking, I wore combat boots, then moved on to different weights of hiking boots. I still have my last pair, the Scarpa Manta, all 6 pounds of them. I noticed two main differences when I switched to trail runners back in 2000 -- no more heel blisters, and much less leg pain from lifting that six pounds for 15 miles.

Chuch
01-02-2011, 12:29
I've been hiking in a pair of Rocky S2V boots because I have yet to find anything on the shelf that fits my wide awkward feet any better. I'm prepping for a section hike in May, and I could possibly end up wearing these. I need to really strengthen my ankles before taking the step to trail runners which is my goal.

smalls
01-03-2011, 04:17
I guess my only real option is to go do a good 30 mile weekend hike this spring and give these things a shot in the mountains. I've done plenty of heavy hiking in them with no blisters or banged up toes, they fit nearly perfectly, but there wasn't a ton of that done up and down mountains.

The weight does worry me. It will certainly increase the amount of work I do, but I'm wondering if the trade off is worth it, considering my ankles are well protected, and they offer some fair snake protection.

As for swamping them, the fabric portions are goretex and are nearly water proof. I hit them with some water proofing spray every month or two, and they made it 12 hours in heavy wet snow for 3 days straight during hunting season last month bone dry. The only time I've noticed them getting wet inside is when my legs get soaked and the water works down through my socks. Uberart is definitely right about them taking forever to dry once they're wet, though the removable insole helps a bit there.

-Smalls

futureatwalker
01-03-2011, 04:39
I've moved from relatively heavy (but comfortable) leather boots, to fabric/leather boots, to gore-tex
trail runners.

I'm a thin guy, so maybe this is a factor, but my legs were much more tired after a day with boots than after a day with trail. I noticed this particularly on multi-day trips. I've done comparable trips with boots and with trail runners, and I was a lot less fatigued at the end of the day with the trail runners.

So my suggestion would be to experiment a bit. Do 10 miles with your boots, and on another day try 10 miles with trail runners. See if you feel a big difference.

bigcranky
01-03-2011, 10:28
The weight does worry me. It will certainly increase the amount of work I do, but I'm wondering if the trade off is worth it, considering my ankles are well protected, and they offer some fair snake protection.

Only you can answer that, of course. In my experience, though, even the stiffest all-leather boots provided no real "ankle support," in that I was still able to roll or sprain my ankle while wearing them. Sure, I got the feeling of support, but it was illusory. I stopped slipping and falling and rolling my ankles when I started using a pair of hiking poles.

You don't need snake protection on the A.T.

chelko
01-05-2011, 12:08
I think a lot of this equasion has to do with how big you are and how heavy your load is. Shoes and boots are engineered for average sized people carrying normal 25lb loads. I am larger than the average bear being 315lbs and my pack weight is 35lbs or more (my underwear is heavier than yours) I therefore have a problem of wearing out lightweight boots or trailrunners rather quickly and they don't seem to protect my feet as well as a heavier boot. I have found that kayland contact revs with sofsole inserts do the trick for me. Never had a blister feet are protected from the trail (rocks, roots etc) and I feel secure hiking in them. Hike your own hike in whatever works for you.

Camping Dave
01-05-2011, 22:12
You have the steel toed aviation boots?

Bellevilles are awesome boots. Consider their army or TR boots and shed some weights. My TR 606s are very very comfortable.

home_less
01-06-2011, 21:15
:D Wore my desert boots brought back from Iraq & they worked just fine to hike the AT. Switched to trail runner ankle high hiking boots only because I wanted to save Army issued one's to wear w/my ACU's during hunting season.

Hike your own hike extends to wear your own stuff. Go with whatever floats yer boat. Don't worry about what others think :-?

HOOAH :banana