PDA

View Full Version : And The Race Is On!

TOW
01-01-2011, 11:12
Go get 'em boys and girls!

TOW
01-01-2011, 11:17
Just talked to Doug at Amicalola Falls State Park and he says two started yesterday and two started today......

Half Note
01-01-2011, 11:17
Aye. Good luck to everyone starting this year and have a safe hike! And for those starting today, bundle up, I hear it's cold in them parts.

Tinker
01-01-2011, 11:26
Just talked to Doug at Amicalola Falls State Park and he says two started yesterday and two started today......

Hope they have lots of money for zeros.:rolleyes:
God luck to them.

Blissful
01-01-2011, 12:09
I saw a robin yesterday in northern VA, earliest I've ever seen - the birds know. I'd get out early this year for a thru and enjoy.

Tinker
01-01-2011, 12:15
With all due respect, Blissful,
I saw robins up here the day before we got a foot of snow.
There's a reason for the term "bird brained". :D :)

Del Q
01-01-2011, 12:21
Was Trek one of the Jan 1st hikers?

Blissful
01-01-2011, 12:22
Wow my dad doesn't see robins in NY until March at the very earliest. Guess they were lost in RI...poor things :)

neighbor dave
01-01-2011, 12:47
Boy?.... Boy????....... you see a boy, you slap him in the face, give him a $5 bill, and send him home to mama, cause i don't see no boys 'round chere!;)

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-01-2011, 13:01
Mighta been a good idea to start a SOBO!!!:-? Weather up here is/has been a little twisted up, unusually warm spells, not much snow. High 40's - low 50's here in Central Maine... can't wait to see how the "January thaw" works out! Anyway... best wishes for a safe and happy hike for all who hit the trail!

DLANOIE
01-01-2011, 13:13
Mighta been a good idea to start a SOBO!!!:-? Weather up here is/has been a little twisted up, unusually warm spells, not much snow. High 40's - low 50's here in Central Maine... can't wait to see how the "January thaw" works out! Anyway... best wishes for a safe and happy hike for all who hit the trail!

I was just hiking a section of the AT in Andover and there was PAAALENTY of snow out that way....Good luck to all this year!!!!!

Indi
01-01-2011, 16:44
The strange winter this year makes me REALLY hope for great weather come mid-March! It could happen! :D

kayak karl
01-01-2011, 16:48
i was wondering the same thing. didn't here he was on springer new years eve, but he keeps to himself.

kayak karl
01-01-2011, 16:53
With all due respect, Blissful,
I saw robins up here the day before we got a foot of snow.
There's a reason for the term "bird brained". :D :)
hope they stay safe, have fun and most of all i hope they didn't get their winter hiking advice from WB.

Speakeasy TN
01-01-2011, 17:46
Raining heavy in North Georgia today. Pretty warm though.50+ Just what the doctor ordered to get rid of any lingering slick spots! My wife made fun of me when I referred to my attempt as " next year" today. 10-11 weeks...... wheeeee

Old Grouse
01-01-2011, 19:19
I hate to break it to you boys; robins are present in our areas every month of the year. Remember the children's verse:

The north wind doth blow and we shall have snow, and what will poor robin do then, poor thing?

He'll sleep in the barn to keep himself warm, and hide his head under his wing, poor thing.

TOW
01-02-2011, 20:57
yep and he is already at mountain crossings.....

Tinker
01-02-2011, 22:33
I hate to break it to you boys; robins are present in our areas every month of the year. Remember the children's verse:

The north wind doth blow and we shall have snow, and what will poor robin do then, poor thing?

He'll sleep in the barn to keep himself warm, and hide his head under his wing, poor thing.

Not exactly - he'll most likely starve and/or freeze to death. Nature doesn't care.:(
We're most familiar with robins pulling worms out of the lawn, but they will eat any kind of bug. I'm not sure what else they eat, but in the winter bugs are pretty scarce.