PDA

View Full Version : Wild Goats in Virginia

MOWGLI
12-22-2004, 22:38
In 2000 there were 3 goats living on a ridge just north of Sarvers Cabin in Virginia. I have heard that they are no longer there, but they were apparently still there for at least a year or two after my hike.

Anyone have any interesting stories about encountering these goats? Does anyone know what happened to them?

Lone Wolf
12-22-2004, 22:43
I've got photos of those goats when I was thru there that year. They licked my thighs and I liked it.

The Old Fhart
12-22-2004, 22:58
Lone Wolf, that is what we call TMI :)

Hikerhead
12-22-2004, 23:56
I searched our picture gallery and we only have one shot. That's surprising knowing how many hikers that have came across these guys.

Here's the picture.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3207/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

A-Train
12-23-2004, 01:04
They were not there in late April 03', thought I do think they were there in 02' cuz I think I remember reading it in people's journals and expecting to see them

Blue Jay
12-23-2004, 09:52
They were not there this summer either. I enjoyed seeing them the two previous times.

flyfisher
12-23-2004, 21:03
There was a goat at the shelter just south of Rockfish Gap when I hiked through there in June of 2003.

RU98A
12-23-2004, 21:53
Bet they tasted good roasted on a spit over a open fire.:)

screwysquirrel
12-24-2004, 23:33
I saw them last year.

Moxie00
05-09-2005, 21:10
I have lots of pictures of them from 2000. There was a very typical neubian and a french alpine and one that may have been mixed breed. Two were pure breads and must have escaped or been turned loose. I have a great picture in my slide show of the neubian licking my leg. These goats were very tame. On the cliffs above Perisberg there was a real wild mixed breed yellow goat. Both Rhoddy Bill and I took pictures of it. Unlike the Sarvers goats that were female I think this goat was a male. One of the Sarvers goats had a full udder which makes me believe she either had a young one or may have recently lost one. I have raised and milked goats and tried to milk her but while she licked my legs she wouldn't let me touch her udder which is a sign of a goat saving milk for her young. I hope they survived, they were wonderful and they would nevr make it in my native Maine between the cougers, coyotes, bears and fierce winters.

Lugnut
05-09-2005, 23:29
Am I imagining things or does the picture of the sarver cabin area goat on the cover of the current ATN look a lot like LW? He did, afterall, admit becoming intimate with them! :D

java
05-10-2005, 21:55
Am I imagining things or does the picture of the sarver cabin area goat on the cover of the current ATN look a lot like LW? He did, afterall, admit becoming intimate with them! :D
In fact, I did spot a goat-sized motorcycle jacket in the woods near that goat...so hey, I guess it's possible! ;) Plus it did try to lick my legs!
(I was the one who took that picture. BTW it was shot in 2001, so I don't know if those goats are still there).
-java
www.visualalex.com

MOWGLI
05-10-2005, 22:03
(I was the one who took that picture. BTW it was shot in 2001, so I don't know if those goats are still there).
-java
www.visualalex.com

Nice shot Java! Brings back some nice memories.