PDA

View Full Version : What if, you have an underquilt....

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2011, 13:33
Think 3 season here, if you have a underquilt on your hammock and possibly a jacket does one really need a sleeping bag or elephants foot for comfort?

What do you think?

johnnyblisters
01-01-2011, 13:45
Certainly doable. I have done a few weekend trips with that setup in the summertime but with no jacket and a silk bag liner. Worked just fine, underquilt kept my body warm from air underneath and the liner helped with minor air chill above. Also, my underquilt worked double duty for shelter hopping.

gunner76
01-01-2011, 14:28
Depends on your sleeping style. Me, I have to have a blanket of some type and my poncho liner does the trick.

bigcranky
01-01-2011, 15:36
To me, "three season" means lows down to freezing. So, that would not work for me. Maybe in the hottest part of summer.

Fiddleback
01-02-2011, 11:17
One time I used a bag as a quilt...never before or since have I had a bag or quilt in my hammock while on the trail. But then, I haven't done any winter hanging...yet.:D

In my home range, 'three-season' means glorious warm-to-hot days and cool-to-cold nights (my first day on the trail with a hammock featured a 70-degree temp swing). Here, the May-Oct 'three-season' always means the chance of freezing and often means a hard freeze. So, I always have cold weather clothing with me although they're too warm for hiking (so far).

My hammock sleep system includes a 3/8", 40X60" pad that weighs 7oz. My sleepwear is nearly the same as when I go to ground; a fresh Smartwool base layer, fleece balaclava and glove liners, fresh wool socks and booties. To all this I add the cold weather clothing; an Integral Designs Dolomitti jacket with hood and a pair of Bozeman Mountain Works Cocoon insulated pants. Of course, all this mix and matches depending on weather forecasts and just what part of 'three-season' we're in...;) But the bottom line is that I never use a bag or a quilt in my hammock. My cold weather clothing is put to dual-use and I save the three pounds or so of sleeping bag weight.

This system is comfortable to the mid-20's. Below that, cold comes through the pad at the pressure points. If I were to add my sit pad (a 4oz piece of cut-down blue foam) I could probably extend the temp range into the teens (and add another month at each end of our 'three-season':p).

An unanticipated benefit was the ease of nighttime Nature calls. Already dressed, I just drop out of the hammock and find a suitable tree and then find my way back to the hammock. No wrestling with a bag, nothing to warm up again...:)

The last time I went to ground it was in the low-40's. I had the above pad which I folded along the long axis and inserted an ancient Thermarest pad taco style. I slept in the sleepwear listed under a Nunatak Aplinist quilt. It was my most comfortable ground sleep ever. Until I get back to winter camping my sleeping bag is going to be very, very lonely.

The key is -- sleep systems are highly individual. There are many, many variables that interact with each other...change one, and the results from the others change. And two of the most important variables are the climate and you. What works for one hanger may not work for another and may not be appropriate everywhere for all outings in all weather. But by developing your own system (can't stress that word enough) you can save pack weight, pack space, and money. And be more comfortable.

Backyard experiments rule!

FB

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2011, 12:28
Thanks Fiddleback!

Fiddleback
01-03-2011, 10:13
de nada. :D

kayak karl
01-03-2011, 10:33
after years of back and forth with this i settled on the JRB stealth and nest. i have been down to 30 with both and since the stealth is wearable @ 17 oz i eliminated any kind or jacket. with my hammock at 14 oz and tarp (cuben) @ 8 oz. i can't see going lighter.

in the higher temps as fiddleback said your fine, but on a predicted 45 degree night and it drops to 30 unexpectedly you may be in trouble.

Fiddleback
01-04-2011, 10:24
after years of back and forth with this i settled on the JRB stealth and nest. i have been down to 30 with both and since the stealth is wearable @ 17 oz i eliminated any kind or jacket. with my hammock at 14 oz and tarp (cuben) @ 8 oz. i can't see going lighter.

in the higher temps as fiddleback said your fine, but on a predicted 45 degree night and it drops to 30 unexpectedly you may be in trouble.

To be clear, as I posted above:

"This system is comfortable to the mid-20's. Below that, cold comes through the pad at the pressure points. If I were to add my sit pad (a 4oz piece of cut-down blue foam) I could probably extend the temp range into the teens (and add another month at each end of our 'three-season')."

In other words, the sleep system works for me way below 30°.

For me, going light usually implies cutting the leeway of a system. i.e., getting to the point where there is little in your pack to boost warmth. Consequently, there must be a more keen eye kept on the current and forecasted weather. I feel most confident when I know my system is comfortable at a temp ten degrees lower than what is expected. It's also MHO, that the further one gets from a the trailhead, i.e. a quick bailout, the more leeway a system should have. That usually translates to a heavier system. In my home area, and I suspect everyone's, the times requiring the most caution are at the extreme ends of the 'three-season' period...whatever months that may be for each of us.

There is yet another safety factor inherent with any hammock sleep system. If the cold does overwhelm my system I can always go to ground...that should be good for another ten degrees...:D

FB

gunner76
01-05-2011, 09:56
I test my gear in my back yard so I have a good idea of how well different combinations of my gear will work for different weather conditions.

Everyone sleeps differently and what is comfortable for me may not be for my wife

english
01-05-2011, 22:26
I finally tested my new ALPS Razor bag, $36 from REI-outlet and weighs 29 oz. I pulled it over my 20' rated sleeping bag, placed both over my Thermorest and slept soundly until 9am. It was 26 degrees outside. There were still a few cold spots here and there, but nothing alarming, oh, I was in shorts and a t shirt too!

Wise Old Owl
01-28-2011, 15:35
Stormcrow's 3/4 underquilt arrived today! WOW, in the basement I have a rafter hang system and down there its not heated, about 50 degrees I guess, after a little confusion on how to attach it, I got it on and jumped in, within a minute I could feel the body heat reflected back on the upper back and torso, works great.
http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_6

Buffalo Skipper
01-31-2011, 11:08
Stormcrow's 3/4 underquilt arrived today! WOW, in the basement I have a rafter hang system and down there its not heated, about 50 degrees I guess, after a little confusion on how to attach it, I got it on and jumped in, within a minute I could feel the body heat reflected back on the upper back and torso, works great.
http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_6

I have Stormcrow's full length 3-Season Incubator. 23 oz. Good to 20°. With a 25° down sleeping bag (top quilt) and polypro long underwear, I am very cozy down to the low 20s.

He makes some awsome gear! I was on the couch this weekend with the UQ over me like a blanket and had to vent after 5 minutes.

onecamper
02-04-2011, 18:14
I have Stormcrow's full length 3-Season Incubator. 23 oz. Good to 20°. With a 25° down sleeping bag (top quilt) and polypro long underwear, I am very cozy down to the low 20s.

He makes some awsome gear! I was on the couch this weekend with the UQ over me like a blanket and had to vent after 5 minutes.

I have a winter crowsnest 3/4 and use it on the couch too..too nice not to use! I bought it for my wife, she's a cold sleeper, got the 900 down it's very warm to 15, that's as cold as I've gone. ...but I use a 3/8 foam pad too when it's that cold. Also use a 0* bag, BA with pad sleeve, good if I have to go ground and I can't sleep in a hat.

My go to underquilt is a winter yeti, great to 20* with the pad maybe lower. Above 40* I just use closed cell foam pads.