PDA

View Full Version : what to expect in Harpers ferry in april

spanky4x4
01-01-2011, 13:33
I want to start my through hike in harpers ferry partly due to the easy train access. I will be going north to maine then flop back to HF to go south. I am a slow hiker and would never make katahdin starting at Springer unless I started tomorrow.. what kind of weather can I expect around april 1?
Thanks

Toolshed
01-01-2011, 14:52
You could get some very warm days with little to no shade. That's what I find troubling about the Midatlantic in early spring - especially if the days get near 90, as they have been known to do at times.
Otherwise - I would think it would be pretty nice. Springs should be flowing (assuming we have decent snow this year).

Blissful
01-01-2011, 17:03
I should run into you, I'm hiking south from DWG then to HF to finish my SOBO hike. Should be a great time of year to do it.

Bags4266
01-01-2011, 17:28
You will be ahead of the bubble too. So the shelters won't be as crowded.

C Seeker
01-02-2011, 16:40
Living less than 50 miles from Harpers Ferry, I know that April sometimes brings us some of the worst snow storms of the season. Which I always find weird as that is when it starts to become spring.

I would advise you to have a little bit of cold weather gear on you for the first week or two then you should be good with regular gear.

spanky4x4
01-02-2011, 17:53
i plan on being prepared for down to 20 degrees. I was hoping i could start with less,but if its to much I'll mail extra home.better safe then sorry i guess. thansk for all the replies everybody!

10-K
01-02-2011, 17:56
And you should be ahead enough to do work-for-stay at the huts in the Whites without too much competition.