PDA

View Full Version : Just too many coat choices. Overload.

alverhootzt
01-02-2011, 03:02
I am trying to decide on a coat to bring for a mid March thru start.

I bought a MB Thermawrap, but will probably be returning it b/c it doesn't seem to give much warmth at all.

For that time of year and place (NOBO) which would be a better fit for warmth: MB Down Inner or MB Alpine Light? And if I will be bring a separate hood (ray-way bomber hat) for sleeping in my hammock, could I skip the parka and just get the jacket? I've been looking at iclo ratings and charts and my mind is spinning. It's not really a comparison I need - the problem is I've never hiked in that area at that time of year before. Any help appreciated.

Wags
01-02-2011, 03:56
it will be cold. get the warmest 800 fill jacket you can get your hands on (not an 8000 meter parka mind you)...

leaftye
01-02-2011, 03:56
Can you sew well? I'm awfully tempted by the kit on thru-hiker. It looks to be about as light as anything, yet warmer, and can be even lighter if Momentum 50 were used.

Johnny Thunder
01-02-2011, 07:34
alpine light parka is awesome. i had a thermawrap which lost warmth as i headed north. i wouldn't trust a sewn-through hood like on the alpine light to be my sole sleeping hood though.

kayak karl
01-02-2011, 08:25
your going to sweat to death in a jacket. layer, up to four if needed. i hike all winter and don't even own a jacket. wicking t, silk long sleeve, micro fleece and packa for wind has got me through a windy 10 degree day. you live in pa. go hike now. you will see what i mean.

for camp i use a wearable hammock quilt with my packa over it.

mweinstone
01-02-2011, 08:31
heres what i have used and never been cold.

silkweight tee
capaline light underware top
capalene heavy underware top
pile or capalene vest
waterproof breathable rainjacket such as a quark or simular
two capalene balanclavas
sinchilla neck gator

this is a very good system for the upper body and head.

eagleJ
01-02-2011, 09:27
I have the MB inner down jacket and it works great for me. Packs small and weighs around 8 oz.

Raul Perez
01-02-2011, 10:05
I got the down inner parka down to about 3*F - layered with medium weight baselayer, fleece jacket, MB down inner jacket.

Raul Perez
01-02-2011, 10:06
actually if you're a medium I have the jacket for sale in the for sale forum here if you're interested.

10-K
01-02-2011, 10:10
your going to sweat to death in a jacket. layer, up to four if needed. i hike all winter and don't even own a jacket. wicking t, silk long sleeve, micro fleece and packa for wind has got me through a windy 10 degree day. you live in pa. go hike now. you will see what i mean. for camp i use a wearable hammock quilt with my packa over it.

I'm in this neighborhood but not quite so hardcore. :)

I can go single digits with my MB thermawrap with layering and only don the thermawrap if I'm not moving. I do almost always carry 2 jackets - the thermawrap and lately, my new Lands End down jacket but even though I've carried the LE jacket I haven't worn it yet. I'd rather have 2 light-midweight coats than 1 heavy one.

If I stop moving long I'm usually in my bag and if it's really cold I'll wear the thermawrap in the bag too.

I do my best to camp/sleep/stop out of the wind.

Chummin' for Bear
01-02-2011, 10:21
I have the MB Thermawrap and love it. Consider adding a quality down vest which gives you more options than one down parka. Given a wicking tee, long underwear top, down vest, Thermawrap, and rain shell, you have a lot of flexibility and should have no trouble down to 10-15 degrees. Matthew hits the nail on the "head" when he talks about using two balaclava's and a gaiter. I use a balaclava and a fleece cap. It is amazing how keeping your head and neck warm keeps your hands and feet warm too.

HeartWalker
01-02-2011, 10:40
I'd start out in the alpine then switch to the inner or vest later. That is what I did last year with a Mar 01 start. If you only can get one I'd go with the warmer one.

bigcranky
01-02-2011, 10:59
Alpine Light is awesome, and very useful for camp and breaks -- and it adds a lot of warmth in your bag if the temps get really low.

alverhootzt
01-02-2011, 14:00
I wanted to be clear - I wasn't thinking of the coat for hiking except first thing in the morning, maybe. I know how to layer for cold weather hiking down to single digits. I was thinking for breaks and camp. I want something to compliment my top quilt, which is the weakpoint in my hammock set up (only good to upper 20's) and also be able to throw on for lunch, etc.

for camp i use a wearable hammock quilt with my packa over it.
I considered this, but I'm only 5'4" and I think I would end up damaging it.

Can you sew well? I'm awfully tempted by the kit on thru-hiker.
I've been tempted, too, but my sewing skills aren't there yet. I'm working my way up to Liberty pants via stuff sacks. ha!

I have the MB Thermawrap and love it. Consider adding a quality down vest which gives you more options than one down parka. Given a wicking tee, long underwear top, down vest, Thermawrap, and rain shell, you have a lot of flexibility and should have no trouble down to 10-15 degrees.
This was my exact original plan. I bought a Sierra Designs vest from someone here at WB. When I got the Thermawrap in the mail, tho, I was very disappointed at how cold I still was around 30-35* in the coat alone. Then I found Richard Nisley's chart on backpackinglight and saw my brand new parka down in the "Polartec 200" range and thought, for the same money I can get a MUCH warmer down jacket.

But maybe the Alpine Light is overkill...

alverhootzt
01-02-2011, 14:04
actually if you're a medium I have the jacket for sale in the for sale forum here if you're interested.

I saw it here and at hammockforums. Believe me, if I were a medium you would have gotten a pm already. :)

Del Q
01-02-2011, 15:06
I agree with MWeinstone as stated above, the only time I get cold is when I stop for the day and 4am-when I break camp and get moving. Down bag can serve as a "coat" in camp.........I bought a Mont Bell synthetic jacket, like 8oz, bring with me when REALLY cold out. (sub 20).

Have switched to Icebreaker or Backpacking Light merino wool tee as my base layer, patagonia light capilene, Go Lite wind shirt, Mont Bell jacket, lightweight rain jacket, balaclava and gloves. Icebreaker long johns.

In the past I packed WAY too many clothes, besides having a great pillow at night it was totally wasted weight.

Staying warm is much easier than getting warm, get into camp/shelter, get into your sleeping bag when cold out ASAP.

BrianLe
01-02-2011, 16:57
I think one factor is how warm your hammock sleeping system is. I.e., what temperature would you be comfortable sleeping in your hammock plus top quilt plus whatever underquilt if you were wearing no insulating clothing?

I started in late Feb last year (I now have to call it "last year" :-)) with a MB Alpine light parka, and loved that, but partly because I was using it to augment a 20F rated bag. To keep your overall load from being too heavy and bulky, I think such a combination is helpful so that you don't have to be fully inside your sleeping system in order to be warm enough in camp.

At Pearisburg I swapped the down parka for a thermawrap jacket and this served me very well for the rest of the trip.

If you want to really geek out in comparing options, have a look at this BPL thread (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&disable_pagination=1). In general the down options are much warmer than the synthetic for the same weight; I use a synthetic (also thermawrap) vest as when it's really cold I might walk in it, but for just-camp use, it's definitely down for me.

jabber
01-02-2011, 18:00
I bought a MB Thermawrap, but will probably be returning it b/c it doesn't seem to give much warmth at all.

Wow, I've never heard anything but high praises for Montbell products. I have been considering a Thermawrap parka, but that makes me wonder. I get cold very easy & I also have raynaud's (that's why if you spot me hiking in 30 degree weather I'm probably wearing my black diamond mercury mittens, it looks silly but I still enjoy the use of my hands).

Anywho, I've never owned any cold weather coats for hiking (are there warm weather coats? heehee :confused:) I've always layered things , i.e. base layer, poly shirt, fleece, wool and the like.

Jab.

alverhootzt
01-02-2011, 23:52
Wow, I've never heard anything but high praises for Montbell products. I have been considering a Thermawrap parka, but that makes me wonder.

Maybe I was expecting too much - maybe it's not meant to be warm in that range. I was looking for a MB Down Inner equivalent in synthetic.

corialice81
01-03-2011, 00:01
First night at Springer Mtn Shelter it got down to 7 degrees. Had no problems staying warm while hiking or in camp. Went with a 15 degree down marmot helium and coolmax liner.

Syn. Tshirt (underarmour)
Longsleeve shirt (mtn hardwear)
320 wgt Longsleeve Wool Hoodie (icebreaker)
Down Jacket (Montbell)
Rain Jacket (Patagucci rain shadow w/pit zips)

BOTTOM
Athletic Shorts (adidas)
Thermals (underarmour)
Thermals (Patagucci Capilene 2) *for camp
Rain pants (Marmot precip full zip)

Blissful
01-03-2011, 00:19
Down jacket to start. I never regretted it at all.

alverhootzt
01-03-2011, 14:39
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm closer to a decision.

I have another geeky question - does anyone know how any given size of a product varies in fill weight? For example, a Patagonia Down Sweater men's size small has less down than size extra large. Does anyone have numbers as to how much it differs? The difference between men's and women's seems so large...