PDA

View Full Version : Down Bag Repair

The Cleaner
01-02-2011, 17:41
Does anyone know what is the best way to repair a baffel in a down bag? A mouse ate a hole in the 3rd from the bottom section and 90% of the down got out somehow.I have an old down vest that I could use for extra down filling.Is it hard to get the fill back in the damaged baffel?Should I do this myself or send it to be fixed at a gear repair shop?:confused:

hobbs
01-02-2011, 18:15
Does anyone know what is the best way to repair a baffel in a down bag? A mouse ate a hole in the 3rd from the bottom section and 90% of the down got out somehow.I have an old down vest that I could use for extra down filling.Is it hard to get the fill back in the damaged baffel?Should I do this myself or send it to be fixed at a gear repair shop?:confused:
Imo. I would take your vest and order some down and take it and have it fixed by a reputable shop. Tailor or such. Also you can have the bag cleaned as well. Thats my .02

Stir Fry
01-02-2011, 19:38
Rainy pass does these kind of repairs

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MPWp1y8dYN0J:www.rainypass.com/+rainy+day+pass&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

johnnyblisters
01-02-2011, 20:16
I would make a new inner baffle out of no-seeum netting and down (from your recycled down vest) to your sleeping bag's specs. Then cut a hole on existing hole big enough to put the new "filler baffle" into place. Patch any lost fabric with some ripstop and call it a day.

Dogwood
01-02-2011, 20:50
Depends on the hole or rip. For a long rip and/or damaged stitched/sealed seams I would get a reputable seamstress or the sleeping bag manufacturer familiar with repairing sleeping bags do the work. Providing the refill down to either and you may cut the repair cost. Sleeping bags can be expensive. If it's an expensive one ensure your investment by having quality repair work completed if you feel repairing the damage is beyond your ability.

If it's just a small hole, like a hole made by a mouse, you can easily fix it yourself. I would try to refill the down myself by matching the level of down and the amount of down in that baffle by contacting the sleeping bag manufacturer for those specs. Use a McNetts Gore-Tex or Non Gore-Tex patch to cover the smallish hole. I did this after hastily attempting to remove a small piece of duct tape I placed over a small burn hole on my Marmot Helium Pertex Quantum taffeta sleeping bag shell. Made the hole bigger in my haste by tearing the duct tape off too fast and creating a 3 inch long rip in the shell fabric NOT on a seam. I placed a McNetts Gore-Tex patch over the hole. McNetts makes the patches in assorted colors. My patch matches the original sleeping bag shell color almost precisely! Make sure when you apply this kind of patch the area around the hole is clean(cleaning directions are in the McNetts packaging) and make sure the patch sets flat on the sleeping bag shell fabric. Firmly roll the patch with a dry round warm water filled water bottle after you set it in place. I actually placed one patch on the inside of the baffle with the adhesive facing out. This took some practice to get it right. And another one on the outside. This keeps down from sticking to just one patch placed on the outside and makes for a stronger repair. After 1/2 dozen washes with NikWax Down Wash on gentle cycle/low heat in only front loading washers and dryers the patches look like the day I put them on.

10-K
01-02-2011, 21:37
If it's just a small hole, like a hole made by a mouse, you can easily fix it yourself. I would try to refill the down myself by matching the level of down and the amount of down in that baffle by contacting the sleeping bag manufacturer for those specs. Use a McNetts Gore-Tex or Non Gore-Tex patch to cover the smallish hole. I did this after hastily attempting to remove a small piece of duct tape I placed over a small burn hole on my Marmot Helium

Dang! I forgot the same thing happened to my Mont Bell 20* bag - I burned a dime sized hole in the footbox and only noticed it when I got in my bag and saw a "POOF" of feathers fly out.

I put a piece of McNeil's Tenacious Tape over it and it's been good ever since. It's a good fix - I've used the bag for almost a year like that.

Johnny Thunder
01-02-2011, 21:42
Dang! I forgot the same thing happened to my Mont Bell 20* bag - I burned a dime sized hole in the footbox and only noticed it when I got in my bag and saw a "POOF" of feathers fly out.

I put a piece of McNeil's Tenacious Tape over it and it's been good ever since. It's a good fix - I've used the bag for almost a year like that.

plus one for mcneil's. i tore an inch long L-shaped hole in my atom while tossing and turning to avoid jack's snoring. mcneil's is still on there 2 washings and a thousand miles later.

Dogwood
01-03-2011, 02:49
Another do-it-yourself patch kit that can provide good results are the stretchy clear Tear Aid Type A patches. These patches may come in various colors but I'm not positive about that. I think Type B, which I've never used, are for vinyl. They stretch with the fabric being repaired and never get gummy IF used as directed! Tear Aid Type A patches are extremely sticky! Tenacious Tape would work too. And, I know Tenacious Tape comes in asst colors. The one draw back with Tear Aid Type A and POSSIBLY Tenacious Tape is that you might effect the patch if you dry your gear, in this case a sleeping bag, in too warm/hot a dryer! Both Tear Aid and the Tenacious Tape need to be applied with care or the results can look sloppy and the patch might not hold up as well.

skinewmexico
01-03-2011, 17:23
An ounce of down is only $8 from Seven Wonders. That and some tape should do it. I'm not sure you'd get enough cross-flow thru that baffle to make the repair worth the time it takes to do it.

mweinstone
01-03-2011, 21:38
any fethers. any tape. stuff it in any way.dont get all thready about it.

The Cleaner
01-03-2011, 23:23
any fethers. any tape. stuff it in any way.dont get all thready about it.
Found some Outdoor Gear Repair fabric patches at Wally World 2$.Will salvage down from old vest and put in & tape over.Red bag w/6 black patches:cool:

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-04-2011, 08:04
When I was a young pup, about 15, I was at a bluegrass festival in Fort Ann, NY... A nice older couple let me sleep in the back of their "suburban". I was quite comfy in my new down bag, and enjoyed the company of their little dog... until morning, when I woke to find that the little fella had chased geese all night! There was virtually no down left in the bag, and the vehicle was FULL of down! Boy, does that go EVERYWHERE! Good memories... just thought it might bring someone a smile today!:sun

canoehead
01-04-2011, 08:22
Dang critters...........