PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditions in the BRP

alphaPig74
01-02-2011, 21:55
Hi gang,

Hoping to hike this Saturday south of Waynesboro VA in the mid-northern Blue Ridge Parkway. Anybody know how it's looking there? Covered in snow or passable? Any input really appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan P.
www.gdbdp.com/at (http://www.gdbdp.com/at)

johnnybgood
01-02-2011, 22:25
You have no need to be concerned with snow on the BRP as the rains have cleared what little snow was left.
I can't speak for the trail , though we have had a nice warm up this past week following that arctic blast a few weeks ago.

alphaPig74
01-03-2011, 08:29
Awesome. Just what I like to hear. Thanks a bunch :)

Hobbler
01-03-2011, 08:40
The parkway gates were closed for a few weeks and yesterday I found them open and I was able to drive the 14 miles south of Rockfish Gap to 664 at Reeds gap.

All points to the A/T are accessable with no snow visable along most of the drive and probably none on the trail either. Didn't hike, but had I known ahead of time that the drive was open, would have made a day out of it.

The Solemates
01-03-2011, 11:24
not sure bout up that way, but we were just near the parkway in NC and there was 14 inches of snow still on the ground. BRP is never open in the winter down here.

alphaPig74
01-04-2011, 21:03
So, this shows my lack of knowledge. I wasn't aware the BRP had gates to close!!! Is there a "status page" or something like that that's updated regularly with the open/closed status?