PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiking w/ the SPORT KILT

RITBlake
12-23-2004, 04:06
Who has hiked with a sportkilt? My hiking partner mike thinks im nuts for even considering this but since the majority of our thru hike will be in the summer, I think it would be a nice idea for the hot days.

How quickly does the sport kilt dry after getting wet in rain? Is it comfortable to hike in? Any uncomfortable/weird moments?

Jaybird
12-23-2004, 06:23
i've never hiked with a Kilt on...but, saw many hikers out there this year (2004) that seemed "okay" with their trail-wear.

now, the only decision is......boxers?, briefs?, or "commando"? :D

Haiku
12-23-2004, 12:31
I've hiked in a Sport Kilt, and in a tailor-made kilt. Both were made of poly/viscose material. The kilt will dry within an hour of getting completely soaked, if you wear it. As to what to wear beneath it - if you're wearing anything, why bother wearing a kilt in the first place?

Haiku.

willyhort0w2
12-23-2004, 12:33
I hike with a sport kilt all the time in the summer months and i plan on thru hiking in 2006 with it all 2000+ miles. so to answer your question I highly recomend it but it is kinda weird going comando in it(speeking from experience). I prefer boxers.

baseballswthrt
12-23-2004, 13:09
Are there pockets in them?

Thanks,
Anita

Footslogger
12-23-2004, 13:20
Does the "Mountain Kilt" from Mountain Hardware count ?? I picked one up in Gatlinburg and hiked in it for a couple months. It was the only way I could have kept going once the "chafe" set in.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Hyway
12-23-2004, 13:31
I am not a thru-hiker, but at trail days they were everywhere and looked to be selling pretty good. My only problem with them was the time I was swimming in teh creek and looked up at the dude who had just walked up to the edge above me.... lets just say it was more than I wanted to see.

Then again, so was the dude swimming in his ratty thong underwear....

willyhort0w2
12-23-2004, 14:12
I know the sport kilt has a small pocket front and center so i don't suggest anything with weight in the pocket or it will swing back and forth and you might end up feeling a little pain in the nether regions.

Dharma
12-23-2004, 16:02
I hiked in a Sportkilt maybe half the trail. It was very comfortable to hike in... more than the MH kilt which I tried also. I never let mine get completely soaked so I can't tell you how long it takes to dry. (I wore a "trashbag skirt" over it when I was in the driving rain) As Haiku says, it will dry faster if you wear it.

Any odd moments? Yeah, now and then you'll get an updraft and "blow your skirt up". It's more funny than anything. Women typically know how much space to give you when climbing or going over stiles. Men learn the hard way.

Commando is the only way to go.

Mr. Clean
12-23-2004, 18:23
I've worn my sport kilt on many overnights in the Whites and Mahoosucs, sometimes with briefs, sometimes commando, depending on who is hiking with me. Keeps you warm and cool at the same time. Never been in heavy rain with it or temps below 40. I usually switch to shorts at bedtime, otherwise the kilt ends up around my waist, or worse when in the hammock. :banana See my pics in the gallery.

Doctari
12-26-2004, 15:30
I know the sport kilt has a small pocket front and center so i don't suggest anything with weight in the pocket or it will swing back and forth and you might end up feeling a little pain in the nether regions.

My homemade kilt has a small pocket on the inside of the front apron, I have carried no more than: my ID, a few dollars in paper money, A key to my car.
I put some coins (about $2.00 in assorted coins) in once, just to see what walking with that was like. Not exactly painful but I only walked to across my living room & back, so about 22 ft, I could feel "bumping" in the so called "Nether region" that could quickly become, , , , unpleasant :o

Doctari.

Mr. Clean
12-26-2004, 16:51
I also wear a very small fanny pack on the front for stuff I want quick access to like my camera, a snack, or current map, that sort of thing. I also have a water bottle pouch on the belt of it.

neo
12-26-2004, 16:54
one things for sure,i never hike in haynes cotton briefs,they really rub you raw,when ya sweat,or get wet,:sun neo

soccrosse
12-26-2004, 22:38
I wore a Sprotkilt during my two week hike this summer from Fontana Dam to Erwin. It rained almost every day and was cool through the Smokies. I found that the kilt actually kept me drier than shorts during the constant rain. While going over Clingman's the temperature dropped and it snowed several inches. The kilt kept me warm throughout the day. The remainder of my hike saw the weather turn warm, lower 80's, and again I was comfortable. I agree with the previous remark though, if you're not going to go commando what's the sense?? I plan on wearing a kilt from now on.