PDA

View Full Version : 'Bottomless' Bag for Hammock Camping?

smalls
01-03-2011, 03:30
I was researching sleeping bag options today when I stumbled on This Golite Bag (http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=SS7500&s=1) on EMS' website. It's fairly cheap, and very light, but it looks like this (http://www.golite.com/images_products/600x600/SS7500_353_RIGHT.JPG) on the bottom.

Now all the research I've done regarding hammock camping suggests that I'm going to need an underquilt and probably a sleeping pad anyway, even for night time temps in the 50s. Any thoughts on shaving some weight with this bag and applying it to a UQ and/or pad?

-Smalls

Helios
01-03-2011, 06:45
I have and use this exact bag, and have for 2 years now. Great top quilt. For a hammock an UQ (under quilt) will be necessary. This bag won't work as an UQ as the bottom is permanently closed.

Jacks r Better sells several models, the No Sniveler being their most popular, that are designed just like the Golite bag, but the foot box opens to be used as an UQ for a hammock, or as an open TQ(top quilt) for you.

Arrowhead equipment also makes a very nice KAQ (kick a$$ quilt) that a lot of folks rave on about. This can also be used as a TQ or UQ.

Warbonnet makes the Yeti, which is very warm and light weight for an UQ.

You may want to check out hammockforums.net There's a whole thread on bottom insulation - pads, UQs, that you'll find useful.

kayak karl
01-03-2011, 09:36
you might be interested in this. you don't need a hammock. you could tent, but all your hammocking questions will be answered.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24634

KK&K

gunner76
01-07-2011, 22:58
A WallyWorld blue pad will get you down into the low 30" maybe lower (I have only tested mine 30 degrees) and I do not use a underquilt.

Wallyworld blue pads come in 2 flavors, a semi smooth pad about 20" wide and a waffle pattern pad about 24" wide. I use the wider one.

SMSP
01-07-2011, 23:06
A WallyWorld blue pad will get you down into the low 30" maybe lower (I have only tested mine 30 degrees) and I do not use a underquilt.

Wallyworld blue pads come in 2 flavors, a semi smooth pad about 20" wide and a waffle pattern pad about 24" wide. I use the wider one.

What is the weight on the Waffle Pattern Pad (24")?

Thanks,

SMSP

scope
01-07-2011, 23:14
A note on the Ultra as I've also been using one for 2 years now also... the one I have is not a 20 degree quilt (which is what these "bottomless" things are called). However, the one they are selling now is heavier than the one I have, and my assumption is that they are filling it better. Mine is still a great quilt for the discount price I paid for it. At retail price, there are many choices that are probably better. Jacks R Better advertises on WB, and there are other choices as previously mentioned.

gunner76
01-08-2011, 18:22
What is the weight on the Waffle Pattern Pad (24")?

15oz and its about 72" long & cost about $16

Wags
01-09-2011, 02:21
the new ultra 20's weight increase is mainly due to a heavier fabric. i think they put an unnoticeable amount of down in it... the older ultras were awesome...

skinewmexico
01-09-2011, 02:52
Great quilt, I like mine. You can get the new model on GoLite's site for 40% off if you use code BS10.

smalls
01-13-2011, 01:31
Well I'm certainly sold on the reduced weight. I guess the real question is, how well does it translate to sleeping on the ground? I had planned on using a 3/4 underpad, though I suppose considering its half the weight of the bag I had planned on using, I could afford to pick up a full length self inflating pad instead and still come out ahead.

-Smalls