PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Gear Changeover Points

garbanz
01-03-2011, 10:39
Its been said on Whiteblaze that Mt Rogers and Pearisburg are appropriate locations for NOBO winter to summer gear changeovers involving sleeping bag and clothes. Ive also heard Hanover mentioned as the change back point. I would think where to changeover to be largely dependent on starting date at Springer and arrival date in central Virginia ( & New England). Im starting early March at an average pace . I'll have stuff mailed from home a couple weeks before I arrive at a planned maildrop. I can plan to change over whereever I happen to be in midMay OR or pick a location like Pearisburg to do so? What would be most advantageous?

Serial 07
01-03-2011, 10:53
relax and play it by ear...if you already own summer gear, then put them in a drop box and push them along until you need it...damascus is a very popular place to convert to or buy summer shoes and bags, but it really does depend on timing...predicting what the weather is gonna be 4 months from now is impossible...i converted in damascus, put my winter bag in a box and sent it to harpers ferry...from there i pushed it to delaware water gap and so forth...i think i finally collected it somewhere in new hampshire...priority mail is an amazing thing...

BrianLe
01-03-2011, 14:10
The safe bet IMO is Pearisburg. I started this past year in late Feb, and in fact it would have worked out fine in 2010 to have swapped in Mt. Rogers, but no way to know that in advance.

I worked out with my spouse ahead of time where my few boxes would be mailed, and wouldn't have known enough about conditions ahead of time to adjust that. It wasn't a huge deal to haul somewhat heavier gear a bit farther (once in VA things just got a lot easier anyway).

"Change back point" for me was Glenncliff. The post office is virtually across the street from the hostel there, and it's the start of the Whites. Worked fine, but as I got there at the end of June I ended up swapping very little back; with a late July finish my 32F sleeping bag and thermawrap jacket were still just fine. YMMV there of course.

Ox97GaMe
01-03-2011, 21:07
you hit the nail squarely on the head. It isnt so much the town that drives the change, but the weather. Since most NOBO hikers are starting late Mar/ early Apr, they are somewhere between Damascus and Roanoke when the weather starts to turn more summerlike (mid May). Mt Rogers is the last of the 5000+ ft peaks as you head north.

They are also arriving into the Whites late Aug/early Sept when the fall temps start cooling things down and you get back to 5000+ ft elevation. This is also impacted by the need to have warm gear in the Presidentials due the chance of 'winter-like' weather.

The best bet is to do as was mentioned earlier, play it by ear. Ive seen hikers swap out in NC and be miserable, and Ive heard of hikers swapping out at Harpers in early June. I also think it depends on whether you ship your gear or purchase it along the way. Hanover and Damascus are easier for the buy along the way option than towns like Pearisburg, Danville, Waynesville, Dalton, Glencliff, WoodStock, Gorham. If you ship the gear, any PO or Hostel will work.

Harrison Bergeron
01-04-2011, 19:11
Winter gear still needed? I'm doing a one-month section in May starting from Springer to see the rhododendrons in bloom, and it would sure be be nice to leave the winter clothes behind, but what about all those 5000' peaks?

Ox97GaMe
01-04-2011, 20:25
May in GA/NC/TN should be fairly mild. You might see a night where it drops down to low 40s/high 30s, but it wont be the norm. You can reduce the need for heavier camping gear if you are somewhat selective on where you stay each night. Avoid the higher elevation shelters like Blood Mtn, Tray Mtn, Blue Mtn, etc.

It will still be chilly at night in the Smokies and Roan Highlands, but snow that time of year is rare. You should be fine with just putting on another layer of clothing to stay warm if necessary.

garbanz
01-06-2011, 22:23
I like your answer guy!